[Q] Need a little direction please

Search This thread

BigShowJoe

Dec 1, 2011
I have been out of the loop for a while and I'm sure what I need is here somewhere but thought I'd ask the experts for some direction. My S4 is currently on ME7 and rooted. What do I need to do to get to the latest build and root? Can I go directly there from the state my phone is currently in or do I need to get it back to stock and take all the OTA update first? I don't have a problem wiping the phone and going back to stock if that is necessary. I currently have SDM 1.0 frozen with Titanium. Should I just unfreeze it so that I get the OTA and then follow the latest root procedure? Thanks in advance for your help.

Batttie

Sep 14, 2011
if you don't mind wiping look into Odin and you can flash your way in one step..

Sent from my SCH-I545 using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 04:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:24 PM ----------

But if you prefer to save data, unfreeze that app and update each ota... Or you can download samsung kies on the pc and update that way too... So you have 3 options.

Reactions: BigShowJoe

BigShowJoe

Dec 1, 2011
if you don't mind wiping look into Odin and you can flash your way in one step..

---------- Post added at 04:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:24 PM ----------

But if you prefer to save data, unfreeze that app and update each ota... Or you can download samsung kies on the pc and update that way too... So you have 3 options.

Thanks for the reply. So if I choose to save data and take the OTA updates, that will kill root and essentially make the phone stock correct? Then I can just follow the root procedure for the latest build?

Batttie

Sep 14, 2011
Yea, it will kill root on the first ota,.. just keep taking them until you reach the last, mk2. it may take a but of time since each ota is about 10 mins to update...

Also I just remembered there is a no wipe Odin file you could use.. if your confortable with Odin it's the fastest method.

once on mk2 just use saferoot to get root back.

Reactions: BigShowJoe

decaturbob

Mar 30, 2011
Decatur
I have been out of the loop for a while and I'm sure what I need is here somewhere but thought I'd ask the experts for some direction. My S4 is currently on ME7 and rooted. What do I need to do to get to the latest build and root? Can I go directly there from the state my phone is currently in or do I need to get it back to stock and take all the OTA update first? I don't have a problem wiping the phone and going back to stock if that is necessary. I currently have SDM 1.0 frozen with Titanium. Should I just unfreeze it so that I get the OTA and then follow the latest root procedure? Thanks in advance for your help.

You build number is me7...correct,

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

BigShowJoe

Dec 1, 2011
if you haven't frozen or uninstalled any stock apps, you can just take OTAs and reroot. but you have to unroot first. If you dont want to do all that I got a guide you can follow where you can odin to MJ7 with a clean wipe and take OTA to MK2 if you want.

depends on your comfort level
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2579278

I haven't uninstalled anything but I have frozen several stock apps. What would happen if I just unfroze SDM 1.0 (or unfroze everything for that matter) and took the OTAs without first unrooting? Would that take care of the unroot process for me? If unrooting first is a must, what is that procedure?

I'm comfortable with doing any method as long as I'm clear on the steps. Obviously the quickest method is what I'm after. I assume using ODIN and doing a clean wipe is the fastest way to get to the latest build and root but then you have to account for the time to personalize the phone again.

Batttie

Sep 14, 2011
look into the Odin no wipe method, it will get you up to mk2 I believe, you'll keep your data

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Yea, it will kill root on the first ota,.. just keep taking them until you reach the last, mk2. it may take a but of time since each ota is about 10 mins to update...

Also I just remembered there is a no wipe Odin file you could use.. if your confortable with Odin it's the fastest method.

once on mk2 just use saferoot to get root back.