1. It was stock/locked/unrooted
2. It was running android 4.2.2
3. It had a minor screen flickering/system crash issue
I thought the minor screen flickering was a result of low power so didn't think anything of it. I knew that if I was going to unlock/root it made more sense to just do the OTA to bring the tablet up to date. What happened next:
1. Updated from 4.2.2 to 4.3 (screen flicker/system crash issue got worse)
2. The tablet then crashed and the battery power dropped to 0. I plug it it and it slowly began to charge.
3. I waited for 15 mins and the batter % had gone up to 2%
4. While plugged in the OTA update later notified me that an update was available and 30 mins later the tablet was showing a full charge
5. I proceeded with the OTA update from 4.3 to 4.4.2 and now the screen flicker/system crash it uncontrollable. I cannot get a normal boot on the device. I can get it to boot into recovery so as long as it is plugged into the charger but that is about it.
I am uncertain whether this is hardware or software related. I am trying to rule out software related by attempting to reflash the stock image on the device to see if a fresh restore will correct everything. As a side note, my warranty w/ Samsung expired early Dec 2013 so I am SOL and sending it for repair may not be worth my while.
I cannot use the wugfresh NRTK since I cannot put the device in debugging mode and I can't do a factory image flash through the root tool kit because the device is locked.
Any help is greatly appreciate.