Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,782,094 Members 50,421 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

External SD Card Free Space Doesn't Seem Correct

Tip us?

ahchah08
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default External SD Card Free Space Doesn't Seem Correct

I have a 64GB sd card in my phone to use. Right now, I have about 18GB of free space. I've also figured out by looking at my folders on the SD card that I've used up less than 20GB. Why does my SD card show that I only have 18GB of free space then? I should have another 20GB+ of free space. What is taking up this space and where can I find it and get that space back?

For a quick FYI, I'm positive I've rooted and put my ROM into the stock partition.

nbdysreal
Old
Thanks Meter 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahchah08 View Post
I have a 64GB sd card in my phone to use. Right now, I have about 18GB of free space. I've also figured out by looking at my folders on the SD card that I've used up less than 20GB. Why does my SD card show that I only have 18GB of free space then? I should have another 20GB+ of free space. What is taking up this space and where can I find it and get that space back?

For a quick FYI, I'm positive I've rooted and put my ROM into the stock partition.
Go to settings / storage, then tell us what it says the TOTAL SPACE is for your SD Card. That'll give us a better idea of whats going on and possibly help you.

It's possible your card is only formatted to 32gb due to it possibly being in fat32 and its a bit more of a challenge to format it to the 64gb. This might shed some light on what i'm talking about: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2041679

ahchah08
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbdysreal View Post
Go to settings / storage, then tell us what it says the TOTAL SPACE is for your SD Card. That'll give us a better idea of whats going on and possibly help you.

It's possible your card is only formatted to 32gb due to it possibly being in fat32 and its a bit more of a challenge to format it to the 64gb. This might shed some light on what i'm talking about: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2041679
Looks like it says total space is 59.48GB

nbdysreal
Old
Thanks Meter 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahchah08 View Post
Looks like it says total space is 59.48GB
Then it is formated and showing correctly. On that same page it should tell you how much free space you have. My suggestion is to hook it up to your pc, highlight all the folders on the SD Card and click properties. Might have more there than you think. Its possible you have some backups going to the SD Card?