Ask a question

No registration required

App Services seem to not be running even though they are

OP Leuthil

16th January 2014, 07:13 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
I just wanted to start by saying that I have no idea how this started happening or even when. Only that it started happening within perhaps the past month or maybe 2 months.

I'm having issues with two apps, BBM and PowerAmp. PowerAmp has this feature where if you plug in your earbuds it will resume your music and if you unplug your earbuds it will pause automatically. In probably the last month or so I've noticed that this has no longer been working from Poweramp even though this has been working since I've had it which is a long long time . I thought maybe the Poweramp service was being closed due to not enough phone memory but I would check and not only was the service running but I also had enough memory.

The interesting thing is that I'm having a similar problem with the BBM app. They have a service that runs which checks for incoming messages and in the recent past it too also stopped working. Both PowerAmp and BBM will work if I have opened the app in the past 5 minutes or so. As an example, if I open PowerAmp and use it a bit, close it, and within the next minute I plug in my earbuds it will resume playback. If I take out my earbuds and wait a long period of time and plug back in then no such luck. The same behaviour is happening with BBM.

Many people have similar issues specifically with BBM but keeping the Persistent Icon in their notification area has solved it. For me, it has not. I followed BBM's support which says to have the Persistent Icon on, check to make sure the app does not have background data restricted, and also to check to make sure that background data in general is not restricted. All checks are good. The other interesting thing is that when I switch from data to Wifi all of a sudden I will receive all of my BBM messages, so it seems that the service must be running I'd think?

I don't know if it's a coincidence between both apps or not. Any suggestions or things to try in order to get to the deeper root cause? I have a Nexus 4 and I'm on version 4.4.2 and I should have the latest version of both apps installed. I'm not rooted or anything. It's just a stock Nexus 4 from Google.

Thanks.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread