Ativ S charging time

Tip us?

johnnymm123
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default Ativ S charging time

Hello guys.

How long does it take for you to charge your Ativ S?

Mine takes about 5 to 6 hours. I think my charger is defective. I checked through the diagnostic app with *#0228# code and it was reporting 400 to 500 mA current. Tried with another 1A charger and diagnostic was reporting 898 mA charging current and phone was charging much faster. 30-40% per hour.

Thanks for any replies.

Sent from my GT-I8750 using Tapatalk

GoodDayToDie
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2475
~2-3 hours for mine, which is closer to what you got out of the second charger. I assume you're referring to the things that plug into the wall? I usually just use my computer's USB port, which may or may not be able to push enough power to charge the phone rapidly (mine is, or close enough).
Win8/Windows RT projects:
List of desktop apps for hacked RT devices

WP8 projects:
Native Access WebServer and Libraries
WP8 Interop Unlocks
Storage Cleanup tool

WP7 projects:
XapHandler, Root Webserver, OEM Marketplace XAPs, Bookmarklets collection (Find On Page), Interop-unlock hacks.

Do not private message me with questions that should have been posted on the forum! Not only are you wasting your time - I'm not going to bother writing an answer to such a question for only one person - but I will probably block you from PMing me in the future as well.

johnnymm123
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Yes, I mean the wall mounted charger. Then definitely my charger is defective. I'll have it replaced.

Thanks.

CodingBird
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnymm123 View Post
Yes, I mean the wall mounted charger. Then definitely my charger is defective. I'll have it replaced.

Thanks.

I had the same problem at the begin. My ATIV S was charging for ages so I took a Samsung mic usb cable from my sister and now my phone needs about 3h to be fully charged.
As I read on other forums there are more people having the same problem so that Samsung produced some defective cables and they are still selling them...

dazza9075
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 434

DONATE TO ME
its just a simple case of Maths

1A charger should take half as much time than a 500mA charger, your computer USB socket will be about 500mA, of course if the device is powered on then you need to deduct some mA for the device to power itself, 100mA unloaded sounds reasonable for that.

Device has a 2300mAh Battery, if your pumping 800mA in to it your looking at around 3 hours, 6 hours if its around 400mA

if your old adaptor was rated at 1A then its possibly faulty, but its also possible the device maybe restricting it, some devices wont draw its full amount if the COM cables are not connected, some chargers don't bridge the COM pins thus the phone thinks it isn't able to get its full load and may only draw a limited supply. Usual suspects for these chargers are those sealed ones with a cable attached.
Please Click Thanks below if I've helped at all, but more importantly please donate to XDA Developers to help keep this place running, 10 Euros isn't much and for that you get to have a funky wee Star
Please click Here to donate to
XDA-Developers

CodingBird
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazza9075 View Post
its just a simple case of Maths

1A charger should take half as much time than a 500mA charger, your computer USB socket will be about 500mA, of course if the device is powered on then you need to deduct some mA for the device to power itself, 100mA unloaded sounds reasonable for that.

Device has a 2300mAh Battery, if your pumping 800mA in to it your looking at around 3 hours, 6 hours if its around 400mA

if your old adaptor was rated at 1A then its possibly faulty, but its also possible the device maybe restricting it, some devices wont draw its full amount if the COM cables are not connected, some chargers don't bridge the COM pins thus the phone thinks it isn't able to get its full load and may only draw a limited supply. Usual suspects for these chargers are those sealed ones with a cable attached.
Mathematics doesn't matter when the cable is broken. I tested both cables with the wall charger and with one my battery was fully charged after 3h and with the other in about 7h

dazza9075
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 434

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodingBird View Post
Mathematics doesn't matter when the cable is broken. I tested both cables with the wall charger and with one my battery was fully charged after 3h and with the other in about 7h
did you read my comment about COM aka data? a broken power cable will either work or it wont, it doesn't resist enough to reduce the current by 50%, even if it was resisting it would take a droop on voltage not current, a broken or disconnected data cable can stop the device / PSU from taking / providing enough current
Please Click Thanks below if I've helped at all, but more importantly please donate to XDA Developers to help keep this place running, 10 Euros isn't much and for that you get to have a funky wee Star
Please click Here to donate to
XDA-Developers