Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Any problems moving to 4.3 after restoring apps and settings w/Titanium Backup Pro?

OP oren_b

12th January 2014, 05:57 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 3

37 posts
I'm thinking about finally moving to 4.3 using a custom ROM (haven't decided which one yet). I have Titanium Backup Pro and plan to restore all my apps and settings after the upgrade. Is this process likely to end in a stable system? I don't have the time and patience to go through installing and configuring everything again, so if it's not a dependable process I might as well wait for the OTA update (and deal with Knox later...)

Thanks!
12th January 2014, 11:43 PM   |  #2  
Flag Prague
Thanks Meter: 221

1,090 posts
More
Don't worry, this is what I did all is fine.

Before anything, make a backup of your internal SD (just in case), EFS backup and all apps with Titanium. Then in Phils recovery select option to erase everything for new ROM flashing. I also did manual wipe of cache & dalvik just in case. Don't worry, your internal card won't be touched, but always better safe than sorry. Then flash MJ5 kernel, and finaly flash your chosen ROM. Then you can restore apps from titanium. I had like 2 apps that didn't work at all after restore, probably incompatible with 4.3. The system is stable 100%. Never had a reboot.
The Following User Says Thank You to dalanik For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th January 2014, 12:13 AM   |  #3  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 3

37 posts
Thank you Dalanik. This is very encouraging to know.
16th January 2014, 08:43 PM   |  #4  
Flag Edinburgh
Thanks Meter: 2

22 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by oren_b

I'm thinking about finally moving to 4.3 using a custom ROM (haven't decided which one yet). I have Titanium Backup Pro and plan to restore all my apps and settings after the upgrade. Is this process likely to end in a stable system? I don't have the time and patience to go through installing and configuring everything again, so if it's not a dependable process I might as well wait for the OTA update (and deal with Knox later...)

Thanks!

Did you try it? How did it go?
I had faced a lot of issues when I did this recently. My contacts and message apps started to crash. Could have been OS problem no idea, but I was losing all my messages and my contacts. Ended up using super backup and import/export feature. Then on TB i restored only the apps and not the settings or system data. Now its perfectly stable, no crashes whatsoever
16th January 2014, 10:28 PM   |  #5  
Flag Prague
Thanks Meter: 221

1,090 posts
More
If you erase phone completely for flashing, contacts will be restored automaticaly from google contacts, but I'm afraid SMSes won't. That's another thing worth backing up. I used SMS BAckup and Restore, works perfectly, although you can also use Titanium as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to dalanik For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread