Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,073 Members 40,780 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Where's all the dust coming from?

Tip us?

kaspar737
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 99
Default Where's all the dust coming from?

Hello. Some time ago, I broke my digitizer and had to replace it. I ordered just the plain digitizer, removed the old one from the frame and put the new one on. The guides recommended to use double sided tape, but I used glue instead. Now, I've already had to open the device once to clean the dust. When I changed the digitizer, there were 2 small particles of dust accidentally left under the screen, and over time there were eventually 100s of particles. 2 days ago I cleaned the digitizer and LCD of dust and again, accidentally left a small particle of dust under the screen, but it didn't really bother me. Now I am already seeing 10s of dust particles under the screen. Where is it all coming from? Could it be because I used glue in the first place to put the glass to the digitizer instead of tape?

kaspar737
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 99
Oh, and I'll mention that with the original digitizer+frame there were no dust problems

Sent from my LG-P990 using xda app-developers app

sriver_fx
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default clean

When i change my digitizer to me i didnt found so much dust.(and i was using the phone for 1,5 year.

kaspar737
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 99
I didn't have any dust problems with original digitizer either, but when I installed a new one and used glue to put the glass to the frame (the original used double-sided tape) I started getting dust problems.

manueltts
Old
Thanks Meter 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaspar737 View Post
I didn't have any dust problems with original digitizer either, but when I installed a new one and used glue to put the glass to the frame (the original used double-sided tape) I started getting dust problems.
Well, I've never replaced this phone digitizer. But I've done it with other phones, and some ipods. From my experience, I think you have the answer: using glue instead of double-sided tape creates some little holes as the glue dries and (hope to made myself understandable) "compresses" itself leaving some empty spaces "behind". żDo you have any possibility to clean glue and reinstall with double sided tape?
Nexus 4 Mako
(LG e960)
Baseband version: M9615A-CEFWMAZM-2.0.1701.03 (1.03)
Recovery: TWRP v2.7.1.0
ROM: Purity (KK 4.4.4_r1, by DariosF) | Build/version: 20140701
Kernel: 3.4.95 AK Poseidon (by anarkia1976) | Build/version: 324

Nexus 7 Flo
(2013 Wi-fi version)
Recovery: TWRP v2.7.1.0 (MultiROM v26)
ROM: CleanROM (KK 4.4.4, by scrosler) | Build/version: 3.6
Kernel: ElementalX-N7 (by flar2) | Build/version: 2.13

kaspar737
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by manueltts View Post
Well, I've never replaced this phone digitizer. But I've done it with other phones, and some ipods. From my experience, I think you have the answer: using glue instead of double-sided tape creates some little holes as the glue dries and (hope to made myself understandable) "compresses" itself leaving some empty spaces "behind". żDo you have any possibility to clean glue and reinstall with double sided tape?
I'll probably order a new digitizer, the one I have has scratches. I am not sure if I should order digitizer+frame and attach it myself using double sided tape or order a frame with the digitizer already attatched? The plus side to ordering a ready one is that it'll save me a few hours of work, but maybe they used glue to attach glass to the frame?

Sent from my LG-P990 using xda app-developers app

manueltts
Old
Thanks Meter 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaspar737 View Post
I am not sure if I should order digitizer+frame and attach it myself using double sided tape or order a frame with the digitizer already attatched? [...] maybe they used glue to attach glass to the frame?
I would trust that if they sold it attached, it should be by the "official" way. And as I understand, that is with double-sided tape. But of course, I can't be sure.
Nexus 4 Mako
(LG e960)
Baseband version: M9615A-CEFWMAZM-2.0.1701.03 (1.03)
Recovery: TWRP v2.7.1.0
ROM: Purity (KK 4.4.4_r1, by DariosF) | Build/version: 20140701
Kernel: 3.4.95 AK Poseidon (by anarkia1976) | Build/version: 324

Nexus 7 Flo
(2013 Wi-fi version)
Recovery: TWRP v2.7.1.0 (MultiROM v26)
ROM: CleanROM (KK 4.4.4, by scrosler) | Build/version: 3.6
Kernel: ElementalX-N7 (by flar2) | Build/version: 2.13

Ajsh
Old
Thanks Meter 59
I changed mine a couple of weeks ago and have the same problem. I used double sided tape but I cut it myself in small fragments and might not have been that accurate and might have left gaps between the fragments. Don't really remember what it looks like from inside but could the hole for the phone speaker allow dust to get in from above? Really have to open it up and seal it better...