Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,761 Members 42,085 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Strange noise coming from back of phone

Tip us?

Xyphir
Old
(Last edited by Xyphir; 16th January 2014 at 01:26 PM.) Reason: fix phone model from c6802 to c6806
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] Strange noise coming from back of phone

As title says. I hear a strange high pitch noise coming from the back of the phone. I have a bell c6806 with android 4.2. it's always making the noise and I hear it when I'm on a call. Very annoing. Is this normal? Can anybody check theirs by placing an ear on the back of the phone near the camera. any info on this be really helpful. Thanks. Also there's another less noticeable sound that sounds like the noise that comes from a mechanical hard drive :s

Update. I turn my phone off and on and the noise go away. But as soon as I make a call the high pitch squeal sound comes back. I thought it was first coming from the ear piece first when I heard it but it's definitely from the top back off the phone and it doesn't go away the sound stays there until I turn the phone off

LordManhattan
Old
(Last edited by LordManhattan; 16th January 2014 at 05:44 PM.)
Thanks Meter 5646
Haha! What the... I have never noticed it, but you're right. It does make some sort of noise! I know what it is though; it's the radio (antenna). Not sure why it makes a noise and i'm not sure if other devices have this noise, but it's the antenna. It'll go away as soon as you kick it into Airplane Mode. I have to really listen for it when i hold the back side to my ear, so i can't say it bothers me, but it's definitely a little strange

EDIT: Some more information around these "chirps". I'm going to listen to some other phones i have laying around now and report back soon.

EDIT 2: I checked an LG phone (can't remember the model), but it also makes some noises. My old Desire HD doesn't, but it doesn't have a SIM in it, so that's probably why. I'll check my Galaxy Note later today. It's totally logic though. Our devices are constantly connected to cell towers, so the antennas are always pinging the towers. It doesn't make the same noise if i'm in airplane mode with WiFi on. It's much lower, and i guess it's because of the frequency.

EDIT 3: LOL

EDIT 4: I contacted Sony and they are not aware of this, so they can't really say if it's normal or not. But as long as the device is fully functional and there aren't any issues, we shouldn't really be worried. But if you are worried, you can send it in and they'll take a look at it (not sure if it's worth it to be honest).

This one is on a whole different level

I DO NOT RUN A SUPPORT LINE THROUGH PERSONAL MESSAGES,
SO PLEASE DO NOT PM ME ABOUT HELP (*COUGH* UNLESS I KNOW YOU *COUGH*).

THANK YOU, AND PLEASE HAVE A COOKIE ON YOUR WAY OUT.

Xyphir
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Thanks for checking yours. Do you hear the high pitch squeal tho? I've actually tried to to change network modes 2g 3g lte and also airplane mode but it doesmake a difference for me. The mechanical noise is pretty much always there but I don't hear it unless my ears are press to the phone but the noise that bothers me is the squealig because I can hear it when in a phone call do you hear both them noises on yours or just the mechanical sounding noise? I'm going to try and record it tomorrow after work.

LordManhattan
Old
Thanks Meter 5646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyphir View Post
Thanks for checking yours. Do you hear the high pitch squeal tho? I've actually tried to to change network modes 2g 3g lte and also airplane mode but it doesmake a difference for me. The mechanical noise is pretty much always there but I don't hear it unless my ears are press to the phone but the noise that bothers me is the squealig because I can hear it when in a phone call do you hear both them noises on yours or just the mechanical sounding noise? I'm going to try and record it tomorrow after work.
I made a new thread about this in the general section since i wanted more people to see it. We aren't the only ones with this "noise", and it's also on other devices too, so i guess it's pretty normal. I still don't know why the antenna makes noises though.

I DO NOT RUN A SUPPORT LINE THROUGH PERSONAL MESSAGES,
SO PLEASE DO NOT PM ME ABOUT HELP (*COUGH* UNLESS I KNOW YOU *COUGH*).

THANK YOU, AND PLEASE HAVE A COOKIE ON YOUR WAY OUT.