issues/improvements of update 4.3

Search This thread

edorner

Jul 9, 2010
HTC Butterfly S
Redmi K20 Pro
Audio

How is the audio in 4.3?

Someone in a Russian forum wrote, that the 4.3 update also included some audio-related modifications: He said that after the update, the max volume and level of bass became lower. (I don't know if he made this observation with Beats Audio ON or OFF.)

Have any of you experienced this?

---------- Post added at 04:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:45 PM ----------

Speaking of audio, has the HTC Music "Menu icon bug" been fixed by the update?

What I mean is whenever I and tap the menu icon (3 vertical dots) in the "Song view" of the stock music player, the player always crashes immediately. Does it still happen, after the update?

Screenshot_2014-01-12-15-49-10_res.png

Screenshot_2014-01-12-15-49-20_res.png

HTC Music app Song view
Crash

Last edited:

FYL21

Mar 18, 2013
How is the audio in 4.3?

Someone in a Russian forum wrote, that the 4.3 update also included some audio-related modifications: He said that after the update, the max volume and level of bass became lower. (I don't know if he made this observation with Beats Audio ON or OFF.)

---------- Post added at 04:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:45 PM ----------

What I mean is whenever I and tap the menu icon (3 vertical dots) in the "Song view" of the stock music player, the player always crashes immediately. Does it still happen, after the update?

HTC Music app Song view
Crash

There is a crackling/popping issue that affects some units like mine if I use in-ear headphones and listen to music above volume 11/15 :( After the update it is almost gone but some small popping is still noticeable on some headphones above 11/15 (14/15 is fine on over-ear headphones with high impedance). Using PowerAMP improves it more (I get little/no distortion at 13/15 volume), but I notice occasional clicking in PowerAMP and other third-party music players. I think HTC's stock player uses its own audio thread so it doesn't skip or click, but unfortunately it does not work with third-party equalizers.

Volume seems to me to be the same otherwise. However, as before if you unplug the phone while music plays or if music is being played out of the speakers, and then plug headphones back in, sometimes the volume is too loud - and there can be a lot of crackling. You need to do the same thing a few times to get it back to its "normal" volume.

Last edited:
Reactions: edorner

u2pop

Feb 1, 2008
Hi, are you using 3rd party keyboard apps? Im using SwiftKey, and experience the same problem here, although rarely.

As you can see half of the screen shows that it's black. I think the keyboard has something to do with it. Also, the keyboard feels more unresponsive now.

Sent from my HTC Butterfly S

edorner

Jul 9, 2010
HTC Butterfly S
Redmi K20 Pro
There is a crackling/popping issue that affects some units like mine if I use in-ear headphones and listen to music above volume 11/15 :( After the update it is almost gone but some small popping is still noticeable on some headphones above 11/15 (14/15 is fine on over-ear headphones with high impedance). Using PowerAMP improves it more (I get little/no distortion at 13/15 volume), but I notice occasional clicking in PowerAMP and other third-party music players. I think HTC's stock player uses its own audio thread so it doesn't skip or click, but unfortunately it does not work with third-party equalizers.

Volume seems to me to be the same otherwise. However, as before if you unplug the phone while music plays or if music is being played out of the speakers, and then plug headphones back in, sometimes the volume is too loud - and there can be a lot of crackling. You need to do the same thing a few times to get it back to its "normal" volume.

Thanks for the feedback.

Yeah, I read your thread about the crackling issue. Great to hear it got better in 4.3! And that they did not choose the easy way, and masked the problem by simply limiting the max volume.

FYL21

Mar 18, 2013
Thanks for the feedback.

Yeah, I read your thread about the crackling issue. Great to hear it got better in 4.3! And that they did not choose the easy way, and masked the problem by simply limiting the max volume.

have you experienced this crackling before? (see that thread for details)

The volume is actually exactly the same in 4.3 as it was on 4.2. It's just if you play music and unplug the volume will be louder than normal and you must replug it again for it to be the normal volume. It's as if Beats Audio On and Off are reversed. You may also have to restart the Music app or you may hear an electronic "choke" sound (don't worry it's only temporary). 12/15 is my desired listening volume at home but on some headphones it starts to crackle already.

The "clicking" sound I notice from third party music players is something Android music is notorious for; on older devices it's a skip or stutter. On my HTC One X+ it was even worse, it was a skip/stutter but it usually only happened if your screen is on and you're multitasking. However, I never noticed any audio crackling with my HOX+ at similar volumes, but the overall sound quality is a bit lacking compared to the Butterfly s (but still good).

Last edited:

Kee Leong

Feb 18, 2008
Issues I found with the new Android 4.3 / 5.5 Sense on my Butterfly S:

1. LED notification no longer working. Check in settings and it is turned on for all alerts, but no LED notification whatsoever since the upgrade.
2. Cannot share pictures in Gallery. For example, you snap a photo, and then you review it from the icon on the lower right, it brings you to Gallery viewer. From there, on the bottom of the screen, you will see, "Highlight", "Share", "Delete" and "Edit". All those work, except "Share". Previous version worked, but not now.

tropical cactus

Jan 18, 2009
Georgetown
Issues I found with the new Android 4.3 / 5.5 Sense on my Butterfly S:

1. LED notification no longer working. Check in settings and it is turned on for all alerts, but no LED notification whatsoever since the upgrade.
2. Cannot share pictures in Gallery. For example, you snap a photo, and then you review it from the icon on the lower right, it brings you to Gallery viewer. From there, on the bottom of the screen, you will see, "Highlight", "Share", "Delete" and "Edit". All those work, except "Share". Previous version worked, but not now.

Just tried out the issues you're having. Led notifications don't work only when charging. Sharing pictures work for me.

Last edited:

Kee Leong

Feb 18, 2008
Digged futher around, and this is what I found with regards to my unable to share from Gallery..

Known bugs (this is for the 4.3/sense 5.5 update for non-branded One, version 3.62.401.1)

With Animations turned OFF under Developer options, Share menus and things will simply not work. It affects more than just one thing, so: keep animations ON. So, if you’re affected: Set all Animations to 1 and restart phone (that part is important).
And: a bug isn’t a bug unless you can replicate it on more than one phone, and after a factory reset.

http://droider.eu/2013/10/27/changes-in-the-sense-5-5android-4-3-update-for-htc-one/

Dang! Animation is always OFF on mine.

Last edited:

Kee Leong

Feb 18, 2008
But... But... I hate those animation. I switched it off the first day i had my phone. :p

I guess ive no choice now.

yan5619

Nov 6, 2013
I seemed to have the phone radio draining my battery...
Before the update, GSam Battery Monitor shows App Usage takes about 40-50% of the battery power, but now, with similar usage, I've got App Usage down to only about 20%, and Phone Radio takes about 60-70%. Most importantly, my battery lasts much shorter than previously. I could easily last ~36 hours before the update, and now I only have about 24-30.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Never crashes before and after update for me.

Sent from my HTC Butterfly s using xda app-developers app
    How is the audio in 4.3?

HTC Music app Song view
    Crash

have you experienced this crackling before? (see that thread for details)
    Let's move this conversation to your dedicated thread.
    I am happy tell you about my experience, but people may consider it off-topic here, since I am still on 4.2.2.