Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,786,219 Members 51,847 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Shield like streaming except to PC?

Tip us?
 
HobsonA
Old
#1  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Posts: 82
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Albany
Default Shield like streaming except to PC?

I've had such a positive experience with shield streaming even remotely it has renewed my interest in streaming to multiple platforms.

Has any software come out to low latency stream one PC to another PC? I'd love to be able to use relatively cheap laptops which have massive battery life and use my home computer to do all the computing like with the shield.

Anyone have any experience with trying this?
Moto G (Stock 4.4)
Huawei Fusion II (CM7)
Nvidia Shield (Stock 4.3)
Nook Tablet (Rooted)
 
Skaarg
Old
#2  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 18
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by HobsonA View Post
I've had such a positive experience with shield streaming even remotely it has renewed my interest in streaming to multiple platforms.

Has any software come out to low latency stream one PC to another PC? I'd love to be able to use relatively cheap laptops which have massive battery life and use my home computer to do all the computing like with the shield.

Anyone have any experience with trying this?
The best you're probably going to get is using Splashtop. I've used it to play games that were on my desktop, but had problems with a couple occasionally.
 
pete224
Old
#3  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 4
Join Date: Nov 2013
Default Limelight

These guys have worked on porting the the protocol and tech that the shield uses (Gamestream) to other android devices: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2505510

They are currently working on porting it to PC. There is a pre-alpha build of the program in the thread but you should note that the program is in its very early stages.
 
tagzard
Old
#4  
tagzard's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 104
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Chicago
YOU ARE IN LUCK! Check out kainy.com
 
fern420
Old
#5  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 5
Posts: 26
Join Date: Nov 2010
Splashtop 2 is the best I've used, well worth the sub, especially if you own multiple machines.

One thing i have noticed since I started using the shield is that splash-top now streams games just fine to any of my devices in true full screen, it used to tell me full screen was incompatible with splash top but ever since i started streaming with the shield it works just fine. It must be something related to the shield/geforce experience streaming software that tricks the slashtop into working in fullscreen.



Quote:
Originally Posted by tagzard View Post
YOU ARE IN LUCK! Check out kainy.com


very interesting, giving this a try now.
 
HobsonA
Old
#6  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Posts: 82
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Albany
Hm if I want to use splashtop I'll have to re-setup vpn again so I don't have to pay that remote cost. I wonder if someone ever wrote a program like the shield proxy to forward just the stuff used by splashtop to my PC to avoid slow VPN.

Let me know how that kainy.com works out seems a bit sketchy to me lol
Moto G (Stock 4.4)
Huawei Fusion II (CM7)
Nvidia Shield (Stock 4.3)
Nook Tablet (Rooted)
 
cgutman
Old
#7  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 147
Posts: 261
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by HobsonA View Post
Hm if I want to use splashtop I'll have to re-setup vpn again so I don't have to pay that remote cost. I wonder if someone ever wrote a program like the shield proxy to forward just the stuff used by splashtop to my PC to avoid slow VPN.

Let me know how that kainy.com works out seems a bit sketchy to me lol
You can also use Limelight for remote streaming. It works with Shield Proxy just the same as the real streaming software on the Shield itself. Just run the Windows binary on the machine that you'll be streaming from, setup the port forwarding, and you're set. Whenever you connect remotely, specify the external IP address of your router.
 
HobsonA
Old
#8  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Posts: 82
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Albany
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgutman View Post
You can also use Limelight for remote streaming. It works with Shield Proxy just the same as the real streaming software on the Shield itself. Just run the Windows binary on the machine that you'll be streaming from, setup the port forwarding, and you're set. Whenever you connect remotely, specify the external IP address of your router.
Well my shield works fine what I'm trying to do now is do shield quality streaming to another PC. I have this very powerful desktop and a bunch of fairly weak laptops would love to stream to a laptop to use my desktop quality gaming anywhere for those games which need a keyboard and mouse and cant do on shield.
Moto G (Stock 4.4)
Huawei Fusion II (CM7)
Nvidia Shield (Stock 4.3)
Nook Tablet (Rooted)
 
cgutman
Old
#9  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 147
Posts: 261
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by HobsonA View Post
Well my shield works fine what I'm trying to do now is do shield quality streaming to another PC. I have this very powerful desktop and a bunch of fairly weak laptops would love to stream to a laptop to use my desktop quality gaming anywhere for those games which need a keyboard and mouse and cant do on shield.
Yep, there's a PC port of Limelight that uses the same technology as the Shield. There's more info in the Limelight thread.

https://github.com/limelight-stream/...ht-pc/releases
 
HobsonA
Old
#10  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Posts: 82
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Albany
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgutman View Post
Yep, there's a PC port of Limelight that uses the same technology as the Shield. There's more info in the Limelight thread.

https://github.com/limelight-stream/...ht-pc/releases
Well that's worth a look it seems people have got streaming to work to their Rasberry Pi and here i was worried about using a very low powered high battery life laptop.
Moto G (Stock 4.4)
Huawei Fusion II (CM7)
Nvidia Shield (Stock 4.3)
Nook Tablet (Rooted)

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


MultiROM Ported to the Moto E

Few categoriesof Android development are as intrinsically interestingas the ability to boot into multiple … more

XDA Xposed Tuesday: How to Control Google Play Wake Locks – XDA Developer TV

Xposed Modules are usually pretty simple. There are a few … more

Make Text Entry More Efficient with Macro Text Expansion

One of the best things about the modern day smartphone is its ability to save us … more

Fix KitKat WiFi Drops on Your Own

Despite introducing many useful features and overall great performance and enhancements,Android 4.4 KitKat … more