Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[Q] Is it possible to root without installing a custom recovery?

OP mchun

16th January 2014, 09:38 AM   |  #1  
mchun's Avatar
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
32 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2012
More
I've got a GPE One and I just want it rooted without a custom recovery so that I can still get OTA updates. Is this possible?
16th January 2014, 10:48 AM   |  #2  
n1234d's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Mumbai
Thanks Meter: 221
 
743 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchun

I've got a GPE One and I just want it rooted without a custom recovery so that I can still get OTA updates. Is this possible?

On hboot 1.44 it was, but you're likely on a higher version already, so what you can do is flash recovery, root, and reflash stock recovery. That way you'll still get OTAs once you relock your bootloader (assuming that you're s-on, otherwise no need to relock)

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to n1234d For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th January 2014, 01:21 AM   |  #3  
mchun's Avatar
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
32 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by n1234d

On hboot 1.44 it was, but you're likely on a higher version already, so what you can do is flash recovery, root, and reflash stock recovery. That way you'll still get OTAs once you relock your bootloader (assuming that you're s-on, otherwise no need to relock)

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

How does one reflash stock recovery? I have never done that before, didn't need too.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
17th January 2014, 03:07 AM   |  #4  
alray's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Montreal, Quebec
Thanks Meter: 1,367
 
3,563 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2012
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchun

How does one reflash stock recovery? I have never done that before, didn't need too.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

you can flash your stock recovery the same way you flash a custom recovery. The only thing you need is to find the stock recovery you need. Check what is your main-ver # and download the ruu.zip or ota.zip that match your main-ver and extract the zip to find the recovery.zip file. Then move it to your adb/fastboot folder and open a cmd prompt from that folder.

Code:
fastboot flash recovery name_of_recovery.zip
fastboot reboot
you can also copy/paste the output of this command:

Code:
fastboot getvar all
minus EMEI and SN and maybe we'll be able to link you the stock recovery you'll need to flash after you have rooted your device.
The Following User Says Thank You to alray For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes