Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,783,129 Members 45,653 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Can't Root? What are my options?

Tip us?
 
Milothicus
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 13
Join Date: Jul 2010
Default [Q] Can't Root? What are my options?

I have an i747M, from Fido (rogers) running the stock 4.3 firmware. yesterday i tried to root it using odin to install CWM, and then CWM to install supersu.

after successfully installing supersu, i restarted the phone, and got knox blocking the app. i updated it from Play, but then i couldn't open it, and it said it can't install the binary. when my phone asked to update the security certificates, i (stupidly) agreed.

i downloaded the .zip for supersu 1.89, and tried installing that, with the same result, but this time i also can't uninstall supersu.

i've bumped my binary counter, but i'm back to basically stock now.

my goal is to install aokp. is there a way to do it without gaining root first?

if i install CWM through odin, can i flash the aokp rom from CWM?
will the phone reset the recovery?
is this risky?
 
audit13
Old
#2  
audit13's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 384
Posts: 2,304
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Toronto
You could try installing a pre-rooted Rogers rom from here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1739426

I was not able to find a pre-rooted 4.3 for Fido and, since you intend to install a custom rom and recovery, the pre-rooted Rogers ROM might be a good place to start.
 
Milothicus
Old
#3  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 13
Join Date: Jul 2010
It's there a reason to install a rooted rom before aokp? As far as I can tell, I can install aokp without rooting at all.

or am I missing something?

Sent from my SGH-I747M using xda app-developers app
 
audit13
Old
#4  
audit13's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 384
Posts: 2,304
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Toronto
Yes, you can just install a custom ROM without rooting first.

I mentioned the prerooted ROM because you post said you wanted to install su.
 
Milothicus
Old
#5  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 13
Join Date: Jul 2010
Ok, please confirm i have this procedure correct:

1. i use Odin to install CWM
2. boot straight into CWM
3. from inside CWM, i flash the AOKP zip file, and then the gapps zip file

my understanding is that this will keep cwm as my recovery and install aokp with gapps.

am i missing anything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by audit13 View Post
Yes, you can just install a custom ROM without rooting first.

I mentioned the prerooted ROM because you post said you wanted to install su.
 
audit13
Old
#6  
audit13's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 384
Posts: 2,304
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milothicus View Post
Ok, please confirm i have this procedure correct:

1. i use Odin to install CWM
2. boot straight into CWM
3. from inside CWM, i flash the AOKP zip file, and then the gapps zip file

my understanding is that this will keep cwm as my recovery and install aokp with gapps.

am i missing anything?
Just make sure you flash a tar version of CWM that is meant for your phone.

I can't really speak about 4.3 because I'm on 4.1.2 but the method you described is the same method I used.
 
BCSC
Old
#7  
BCSC's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 141
Posts: 383
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New Westminster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milothicus View Post
I have an i747M, from Fido (rogers) running the stock 4.3 firmware. yesterday i tried to root it using odin to install CWM, and then CWM to install supersu.

after successfully installing supersu, i restarted the phone, and got knox blocking the app. i updated it from Play, but then i couldn't open it, and it said it can't install the binary. when my phone asked to update the security certificates, i (stupidly) agreed.
If you want to kill Konx to enable root you can flash this knox removal script: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2507931
If you are just going to flash AOKP via CWM, this may not be necessary, but this is the answer to your Knox problem.
Flashing ROMs - 60% of the time, it works every time!

/_-------------------------There it is. Go on and click it.

Tags
knox, recovery, root
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Just Get a Moto G 4G? This Toolkit Does all the Basics

Just yesterday, we talked about how the wallet-friendlyMoto G4G had just achieved a … more

Twik Keeps Your Accounts Secure with Randomly Generated Passwords

If youre one of thosewho find it just an impossible task to keep trackof … more

Moto G 4G Receives Official CyanogenMod 11 Love

When theMoto Gwas initially released to the world in November of last year,very few actually … more

Get Your Tasks Organized on Android Wear with Agenda Wear

Having a checklist of things you need to do is something we all can find useful at … more