[Q] Danger Sidekick Hiptop Dev-Key Questions

Tip us?

bazzinator
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Smile [Q] Danger Sidekick Hiptop Dev-Key Questions

Hello XDA,

I have some questions about the sidekick Development Keys. I actually used to have one of my own in 2008. Here is what I am looking for.

An actual copy of a dev-key file.
The HTCONSOLE command for uploading a dev-key file to the phone.

I am looking for these things because I am interested in reversing the Dev-Key algorithm. I am planning on using JTAG to dump the firmware and do an investigation. These things all lead up to restoring internet capabilities to the phone. As we know, the phone is a bit crippled because of hard-coded operations to use Danger's servers for networking. But, there is internet access, just need to find a way to circumvent Danger's servers. I thought that getting a dev-key so that I could upload my own programs would be a good first step. However, since I cannot get another from Danger, I figured reversing would be the next best step. However, without the dev-key file format and HTCONSOLE command syntax for uploading the key. I am in the dark.

Thanks in advance

zMexu
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazzinator View Post
Hello XDA,

I have some questions about the sidekick Development Keys. I actually used to have one of my own in 2008. Here is what I am looking for.

An actual copy of a dev-key file.
The HTCONSOLE command for uploading a dev-key file to the phone.

I am looking for these things because I am interested in reversing the Dev-Key algorithm. I am planning on using JTAG to dump the firmware and do an investigation. These things all lead up to restoring internet capabilities to the phone. As we know, the phone is a bit crippled because of hard-coded operations to use Danger's servers for networking. But, there is internet access, just need to find a way to circumvent Danger's servers. I thought that getting a dev-key so that I could upload my own programs would be a good first step. However, since I cannot get another from Danger, I figured reversing would be the next best step. However, without the dev-key file format and HTCONSOLE command syntax for uploading the key. I am in the dark.

Thanks in advance
Hi!
I had the same problem, is at least 3 years that I try to bring back into operation a old Sidekick2 found in the trash.
I was able to operator-unlock it with a key combination (here in Italy sidekick mobile phones have never been marketed and therefore are virtually unknown!).
Then I search SDK everywhere, for years, all in vain (all danger's site are dead, and archive.org is unuseful)

BUT Today (literally) I found this site: The Holy Grail (w w w .cs.umb.edu / ~bazz / learn /sidekick2/ )! I'm very excited!

Now I need my devkey but is obvious impossible to obtain it, so I was thinking to automate a brute force process (autoit? a small c++ program? who know..) to get it, but if you can obtain an algoritm via reverse engineering is better.
Another alternative would be try to contact former employees of Danger Inc, but I would not know how to do because english isn't my native language.

so please KEPP US UPDATED!