My game got popular in Russia, not at all in USA

Tip us?

michalsrb
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Red face My game got popular in Russia, not at all in USA

Hello,

I am writing mostly because of curiosity. I made an android game inspired by one DOS game I used to like when I was kid. With several added features, like online multiplayer, you can search for "Annelids" if you want to check. (I can't send links yet.)

After initial struggling it got more or less popular, but what is interesting:
About 25 % of all downloads come from Russia and only 4 % from USA. According to Google Play statistics, average in Arcade games is having 5 % from Russia and 13 % from USA. Downloads from other countries are close to the average values.

The game doesn't have Russian localization and until recently we didn't even have Russian translation of Google Play page. We didn't do any kind of promotions for Russia.
I am not complaining at all, but I wonder how could that happen.

Any possible explanations?
Attached Images

Fyerwong
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by michalsrb View Post
Hello,

I am writing mostly because of curiosity. I made an android game inspired by one DOS game I used to like when I was kid. With several added features, like online multiplayer, you can search for "Annelids" if you want to check. (I can't send links yet.)

About 25 % of all downloads come from Russia and only 4 % from USA. According to Google Play statistics, average in Arcade games is having 5 % from Russia and 13 % from USA. Downloads from other countries are close to the average values.

The game doesn't have Russian localization and until recently we didn't even have Russian translation of Google Play page. We didn't do any kind of promotions for Russia.

That is to say, people in Russia like your game more. So,I think you can focus your market in Russia.

dillop
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by michalsrb View Post
Hello,

What are the overall download numbers like? If its a new release with very few downloads, then its possible the % difference comes down to a single extended group of friends in Russia.

michalsrb
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by dillop View Post
What are the overall download numbers like? If its a new release with very few downloads, then its possible the % difference comes down to a single extended group of friends in Russia.
The number are quite big now, bit over 100 000 downloads and over 24 000 is from Russia, second highest is Mexico with 7 000 (there I know why, we had some marketing in first phases there), then the others...

I am curious if there are some significant differences in the Google Play in different countries.
I find it hard to believe that there would be so different tastes in games in different countries. Do people in USA hate worms so much?
One possible explanation to me is that there is lot of games enabled only for USA, so there is bigger competition. But I don't know why would anyone want to limit themselves so much.