5,596,235 Members 35,478 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Can't fastboot boot.img

Tip us?
 
trp6senile
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 4
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default [Q] Can't fastboot boot.img

Okay, so basically I am a HUGE idiot. My phone has been running the latest version of ParanoidAndroid and I decided that I wanted to try MIUI. I booted into TWRP v2.6.3 and wiped everything a couple of times before installing it, and I forgot to install the boot.img afterwards (it was s-on). So now everytime I turn the phone on, it is just always on the boot animation for an eternity, and my computer won't recognize my phone so I can't use fastboot or use an RUU. I am also unable to flash PH98IMG from the phone itself. Is there anything I can do to fix this? Thank you very much in advance.
 
mjones73
Old
#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 669
Posts: 2,319
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: North East, MD

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by trp6senile View Post
Okay, so basically I am a HUGE idiot. My phone has been running the latest version of ParanoidAndroid and I decided that I wanted to try MIUI. I booted into TWRP v2.6.3 and wiped everything a couple of times before installing it, and I forgot to install the boot.img afterwards (it was s-on). So now everytime I turn the phone on, it is just always on the boot animation for an eternity, and my computer won't recognize my phone so I can't use fastboot or use an RUU. I am also unable to flash PH98IMG from the phone itself. Is there anything I can do to fix this? Thank you very much in advance.
Take out the battery, put it back together, power on the phone while holding down the volume down key til you get the splash screen, that'll boot you to the bootloader...
Matt
LG G2 - Rooted/Xposed
HTC Rezound - S-Off - Retired
 
trp6senile
Old
#3  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 4
Join Date: Jan 2014
No I understand that, but there's nothing I can do from the bootloader. Once I get there, I can either go to TWRP or choose Fastboot. When I choose fastboot, it will say Fastboot USB after connecting to my PC but it will still not show up or be recognized (and I have the drivers). My only other options are Recovery (TWRP), factory reset (also TWRP), clear storage, simlock, and image crc. All I need to do is load the boot.img file, but it appears to me I have no way of doing that now.
 
acejavelin
Old
#4  
acejavelin's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 345
Posts: 1,157
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bismarck, ND

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by trp6senile View Post
No I understand that, but there's nothing I can do from the bootloader. Once I get there, I can either go to TWRP or choose Fastboot. When I choose fastboot, it will say Fastboot USB after connecting to my PC but it will still not show up or be recognized (and I have the drivers). My only other options are Recovery (TWRP), factory reset (also TWRP), clear storage, simlock, and image crc. All I need to do is load the boot.img file, but it appears to me I have no way of doing that now.
Being seen in fastboot has nothing to do with the ROM at all, you need to troubleshoot this from the PC end. When you start fastboot on the phone and connect to your PC you get nothing? Not even a connect sound?
Current Personal Phone: Google Nexus 4 on Aio Wireless (Beanstalk ROM Official)
Current Work Phone: LG G2 VS980 on VZW (CarbonROM KitKat)
Current Tablet: iPad 4 and Nextbook 8 Premium with marxo's N8+ ROM - Revision 1b2 (ICS 4.0.4)
Previous/Retired Android Devices: HTC Aria, HTC Incredible 2, Samsung Stratosphere, HTC Rezound, Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket
 
trp6senile
Old
#5  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 4
Join Date: Jan 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejavelin View Post
Being seen in fastboot has nothing to do with the ROM at all, you need to troubleshoot this from the PC end. When you start fastboot on the phone and connect to your PC you get nothing? Not even a connect sound?
I do get the connect and disconnect sounds. Whenever it makes the connect sound, it doesn't show up under "Devices with Removable Storage." When I heard the connect sound the first time I went to the cmd prompt and typed "fastboot devices" but it showed nothing.
 
acejavelin
Old
(Last edited by acejavelin; 17th January 2014 at 01:12 PM.)
#6  
acejavelin's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 345
Posts: 1,157
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bismarck, ND

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by trp6senile View Post
I do get the connect and disconnect sounds. Whenever it makes the connect sound, it doesn't show up under "Devices with Removable Storage." When I heard the connect sound the first time I went to the cmd prompt and typed "fastboot devices" but it showed nothing.
It won't show up as a drive at all in Fastboot mode, to see if it is connected properly go to Device Manager and look for ADB Interface -> My HTC, if it isn't there then your drivers are not installed properly. Drivers come from HTC Sync, which can be downloaded here: http://www.htc.com/us/support/content.aspx?id=6196 once installed and the connections in Fastboot and ADB verified to be working, HTC Sync can be uninstalled (the drivers will stay).

When you run "fastboot devices" you get nothing? Or do you get something like "< waiting for device >" or literally nothing?

What version of Windows are you running, you need to be on Windows 7 or older? Running under Windows 8 is not recommended.
Current Personal Phone: Google Nexus 4 on Aio Wireless (Beanstalk ROM Official)
Current Work Phone: LG G2 VS980 on VZW (CarbonROM KitKat)
Current Tablet: iPad 4 and Nextbook 8 Premium with marxo's N8+ ROM - Revision 1b2 (ICS 4.0.4)
Previous/Retired Android Devices: HTC Aria, HTC Incredible 2, Samsung Stratosphere, HTC Rezound, Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket
 
trp6senile
Old
#7  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 4
Join Date: Jan 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejavelin View Post
It won't show up as a drive at all in Fastboot mode, to see if it is connected properly go to Device Manager and look for ADB Interface -> My HTC, if it isn't there then your drivers are not installed properly. Drivers come from HTC Sync, which can be downloaded here: <link> once installed and the connections in Fastboot and ADB verified to be working, HTC Sync can be uninstalled (the drivers will stay).

When you run "fastboot devices" you get nothing? Or do you get something like "< waiting for device >" or literally nothing?

What version of Windows are you running, you need to be on Windows 7 or older? Running under Windows 8 is not recommended.
Ah, that may be my problem then, as I am on a Windows 8 computer. I will try all of this on a friends W7 computer in the next few hours and report back with the results. And when I did fastboot devices it literally said nothing and was ready for another command. Thanks for the help!
 
acejavelin
Old
#8  
acejavelin's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 345
Posts: 1,157
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bismarck, ND

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by trp6senile View Post
Ah, that may be my problem then, as I am on a Windows 8 computer. I will try all of this on a friends W7 computer in the next few hours and report back with the results. And when I did fastboot devices it literally said nothing and was ready for another command. Thanks for the help!
You can also use a live Linux CD like Ubuntu and boot that and install the Linux version of ADB, it works fine.
Current Personal Phone: Google Nexus 4 on Aio Wireless (Beanstalk ROM Official)
Current Work Phone: LG G2 VS980 on VZW (CarbonROM KitKat)
Current Tablet: iPad 4 and Nextbook 8 Premium with marxo's N8+ ROM - Revision 1b2 (ICS 4.0.4)
Previous/Retired Android Devices: HTC Aria, HTC Incredible 2, Samsung Stratosphere, HTC Rezound, Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


XDA PORTAL POSTS

Force Translucent Status Bar in KitKat ROMs with Xposed

It’s been a while since Android 4.4KitKat wasreleased, and we’re slowly … more

Fix the Ambient Light Issues on Your Google Nexus 5 using Xposed

The Google Nexus 5 is a great and rather popular device. This LG-produced … more

Google Glass XE16 Update Factory Image and Rooted Bootloader Now Available

You may recall that early yesterday, we talked about the XE16 … more