Post Reply

How can I make the Galaxy S4 R/W totally?

9th January 2014, 08:11 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 29
 
54 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2013
Hey everyone! I am back with a new question / challenge for everyone. I apologize if this sounds too N00B! I searched in the forum and cannot find a solution.

I am trying to make my Galaxy S4 TOTALLY R/W permanently. Rooting only makes the system directory r/w but there are other directories and locations that also need to be accessible as well. When I was back on the MDL firmware I used a linux command to make the entire drive and phone (everything) R/W using the Terminal ... and for the life of me I cannot remember how I did it.

Can anyone help me out with this? I sure would appreciate it. I am tired of copying files and pasting and tricking it to do what I want when I assign permissions or modify a file. If I remember correctly I ran some linux command that made the ENTIRE phone read / write accessible permanently.

Thanks to anyone who can help!
15th January 2014, 09:53 AM   |  #2  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 29
 
54 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDogman

Hey everyone! I am back with a new question / challenge for everyone. I apologize if this sounds too N00B! I searched in the forum and cannot find a solution.

I am trying to make my Galaxy S4 TOTALLY R/W permanently. Rooting only makes the system directory r/w but there are other directories and locations that also need to be accessible as well. When I was back on the MDL firmware I used a linux command to make the entire drive and phone (everything) R/W using the Terminal ... and for the life of me I cannot remember how I did it.

Can anyone help me out with this? I sure would appreciate it. I am tired of copying files and pasting and tricking it to do what I want when I assign permissions or modify a file. If I remember correctly I ran some linux command that made the ENTIRE phone read / write accessible permanently.

Thanks to anyone who can help!

Still no replies. Holy smokes. Looks like this one stumped everybody. -smiles-
15th January 2014, 01:18 PM   |  #3  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
26 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2013
More
I have the same issue. I have also been searching around for this.
15th January 2014, 05:08 PM   |  #4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 71
 
250 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDogman

Still no replies. Holy smokes. Looks like this one stumped everybody. -smiles-

u talking about a simple chmod 666 ?
15th January 2014, 06:44 PM   |  #5  
hednik's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Fort Worth
Thanks Meter: 708
 
1,525 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2012
Donate to Me
More
What would the reason be in doing so ? I only ask to see the reason behind why you would need to do so
15th January 2014, 07:46 PM   |  #6  
jd1639's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Minnetonka, MN
Thanks Meter: 3,396
 
9,938 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by hednik

What would the reason be in doing so ? I only ask to see the reason behind why you would need to do so

+1. Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.
The Following User Says Thank You to jd1639 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th January 2014, 12:02 PM   |  #7  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 29
 
54 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2013
Thumbs up
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd1639

+1. Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

No disaster. I am just sick and tired of constantly using work arounds when I'm sure there is a way to make the entire file system read / write. I had it this way using the MDL firmware. The only way this would turn into a disaster is if a user got plain stupid with it and deliberately messed with files that he knew weren't to be messed with. Also the comment earlier about a "simple chmod 666" is kind of funny because not all of us are guru's with linux such as some of you are. Please be easy on the guys trying to learn and give back to the community also. Everyone was a N00B once. Don't forget that! -smiles- Anyway thanks for the replies. I will continue my search for the fix!
16th January 2014, 03:04 PM   |  #8  
hednik's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Fort Worth
Thanks Meter: 708
 
1,525 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2012
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDogman

No disaster. I am just sick and tired of constantly using work arounds when I'm sure there is a way to make the entire file system read / write. I had it this way using the MDL firmware. The only way this would turn into a disaster is if a user got plain stupid with it and deliberately messed with files that he knew weren't to be messed with. Also the comment earlier about a "simple chmod 666" is kind of funny because not all of us are guru's with linux such as some of you are. Please be easy on the guys trying to learn and give back to the community also. Everyone was a N00B once. Don't forget that! -smiles- Anyway thanks for the replies. I will continue my search for the fix!

I still wonder what it is you are trying to do. Honestly I can't see much of a reason because most things I do are done in Root Explorer (hands down the best file explorer and worth the price) and it's merely clicking the button to make R/W and then altering what it is I need to do. What firmware are you on by the way ? You stated you were on MDL but not now. I might only assume you are on one of the more locked down firmwares like MK2 or MF3 and maybe it is not possible.

The chmod comment was not a dig at anyone and he was asking if that is what you are trying to do as in linux cdmod 666 makes the file system R/W.

What other directories are you trying to make R/W ?
17th January 2014, 04:07 PM   |  #9  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 71
 
250 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDogman

No disaster. I am just sick and tired of constantly using work arounds when I'm sure there is a way to make the entire file system read / write. I had it this way using the MDL firmware. The only way this would turn into a disaster is if a user got plain stupid with it and deliberately messed with files that he knew weren't to be messed with. Also the comment earlier about a "simple chmod 666" is kind of funny because not all of us are guru's with linux such as some of you are. Please be easy on the guys trying to learn and give back to the community also. Everyone was a N00B once. Don't forget that! -smiles- Anyway thanks for the replies. I will continue my search for the fix!

Wasnt trying to be cute. Open terminal, type su chmod 666 /path/to/folder. As others have said, be very careful what you're setting to rw. Chmod is command to change user perms and 666 is rw.

Sent from my SGH-I337M

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes