Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,438 Members 42,484 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Phone randomly boots at times, other times hangs at galaxy S3 logo

Tip us?

corrosivefrost
Old
(Last edited by corrosivefrost; 17th January 2014 at 06:42 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] Phone randomly boots at times, other times hangs at galaxy S3 logo

So I had a problem where I had issues getting a ROM onto my phone after entirely formatting it.
Some kind members helped me to get the phone running again and then getting TWRP 2.6.3.1 on it with the 4.1.2 build.
This was flashed to the phone using Odin after using E-Z Unlock 1.2 to unlock the bootloader and install TWRP 2.6.0.0.
I saw some random issues when I would reboot or power off and on with it locking on the Samsung Galaxy S III logo... but the phone rebooted eventually and I was able to continue use.

Fast forward to today -- for the first time in awhile, my battery fully discharged. When I got home, I plugged in and tried to power on my phone. Locked at the Samsung Galaxy S III logo... EVERY. TIME.
So I go into recovery... I find that the first thing that greets me is a message asking me for a password. This is odd, since I never put a password on anything... I try to mount the system/cache/external partitions. I try to factory reset to try a different rom. I'm told it works but there's a failure message because of E: cannot decrypt data. I try to flash a different rom anyway. It says it was successful. I flash the gapps, more success messages. I try to reboot and again I'm locked at the Samsung Galaxy S III logo.

Random side note -- sometimes my Samsung Galaxy S III logo has a blue android cat of some sort on it... not sure where that came from (one of the CMR flashes when I was trying to fix the phone, methinks).

It's so strange -- because I was obviously able to load a custom ROM with the current bootloader and recovery -- and now after my phone's battery drained, I'm back to being dead in the water... I really need to get to the bottom of having my phone boot into a ROM reliably.

Previous ROM was Gummy Nightly 01-06-14.
New flashed ROM is CyanFox 2.0.2.

Please help. I need my phone up and working as soon as possible here, I'm expecting important calls in the morning, so this is horrible timing.

buhohitr
Old
Thanks Meter 1501
Quote:
Originally Posted by corrosivefrost View Post
So I had a problem where I had issues getting a ROM onto my phone after entirely formatting it.
Some kind members helped me to get the phone running again and then getting TWRP 2.6.3.1 on it with the 4.1.2 build.
This was flashed to the phone using Odin after using E-Z Unlock 1.2 to unlock the bootloader and install TWRP 2.6.0.0.
I saw some random issues when I would reboot or power off and on with it locking on the Samsung Galaxy S III logo... but the phone rebooted eventually and I was able to continue use.

Fast forward to today -- for the first time in awhile, my battery fully discharged. When I got home, I plugged in and tried to power on my phone. Locked at the Samsung Galaxy S III logo... EVERY. TIME.
So I go into recovery... I find that the first thing that greets me is a message asking me for a password. This is odd, since I never put a password on anything... I try to mount the system/cache/external partitions. I try to factory reset to try a different rom. I'm told it works but there's a failure message because of E: cannot decrypt data. I try to flash a different rom anyway. It says it was successful. I flash the gapps, more success messages. I try to reboot and again I'm locked at the Samsung Galaxy S III logo.

Random side note -- sometimes my Samsung Galaxy S III logo has a blue android cat of some sort on it... not sure where that came from (one of the CMR flashes when I was trying to fix the phone, methinks).

It's so strange -- because I was obviously able to load a custom ROM with the current bootloader and recovery -- and now after my phone's battery drained, I'm back to being dead in the water... I really need to get to the bottom of having my phone boot into a ROM reliably.

Previous ROM was Gummy Nightly 01-06-14.
New flashed ROM is CyanFox 2.0.2.

Please help. I need my phone up and working as soon as possible here, I'm expecting important calls in the morning, so this is horrible timing.
At this point I would take the phone back to factory stock, are you able to boot into Odin mode?

corrosivefrost
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by buhohitr View Post
At this point I would take the phone back to factory stock, are you able to boot into Odin mode?
Yeah -- I can boot everywhere, pretty much.
I ended up formatting everything... I tried CyanFox again, but after install, it was throwing errors all over the place (not sure why).
I then formatted everything again and loaded up Gummy... it seems to be working relatively well.

I'm not sure what caused TWRP to think it was encrypted, but I'm guessing that had something to do with the issue?

Is there anything I can do to try to prevent this type of issue from happening in the future?

Lord_Tardis
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by corrosivefrost View Post
Yeah -- I can boot everywhere, pretty much.
I ended up formatting everything... I tried CyanFox again, but after install, it was throwing errors all over the place (not sure why).
I then formatted everything again and loaded up Gummy... it seems to be working relatively well.

I'm not sure what caused TWRP to think it was encrypted, but I'm guessing that had something to do with the issue?

Is there anything I can do to try to prevent this type of issue from happening in the future?
I know for a fact that there has been issues with the flashing of 4.4 and encryption. The best bet is to turn encryption on then off again. Now you said you never encrypted it but the Turn it on then off again approch might work here. I also know for a while TWRP had issues flashing 4.4 so it might be worth it to run CWM.