Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,782,463 Members 40,152 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Soon to be Sony Xperia Z Ultra Owner questions

Tip us?

Noah321
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Post [Q] Soon to be Sony Xperia Z Ultra Owner questions

Hi Everyone I am consider getting the Sony xperia z ultra as a gift for graduating with my Bachelors in Information Technology and Cyber Defense.

Before I get started I recently purchased a Huawei Ascend mate Last july and I really liked the battery life but the screen started to bleed I have a bad pixel and it doesnt have the processing power that I now need. I have just started to get into playing on my phone and I was considering getting the moga hero because I have never been to crazy about the touch screen or the tilt the screen gaming.

I have seen on the forums that some people have got it too fit with the moga pro but what about the hero?

Also how is the battery life on the Ultra? I know the Ascend Mate had an 4,050 mah battery Its gonna be weird going down to something smaller?

Does Google Wallet Tap & Pay work for the Ultra? I saw that the Xperia Z is accepted I dont know If it works for the family of Xperia Z

I was considering buying the phone from cells4u.com has anyone used these guys before?

Since this phone is expensive I was gonna get somekind of insurance I currently have squaretrade but its ok I dont like the deductible thing its pretty stupid I was looking at us.protectyourbubble.com. I like the Lost & Theft coverage and the can do $140 a year for full coverage. Has anyone ever used protectyourbubble?

how is the camera? I Heard its bad but Im not a photographer but I saw that the Qx10 is out and its a good option but it doesnt look like the clip on the back works? is the Ultra too big? I wont be taking pictures of too much I am graduating and going to Montreal canada for grad school (first in my family to leave and live outside the states) so I wanted the options of taking some pictures of the beautiful city.

How much onboard storage does it have? 16gb? or 8gb?

how is the sound and video quality? this is mostly what I will use it for.

JackHanAnLG
Old
Thanks Meter 67
I got mine from http:\\www.tiptopelectronics.co.uk or 309 with free delivery and 1 years warranty

Sent from my C6833 using xda app-developers app

hansip87
Old
Thanks Meter 1,742

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah321 View Post
Hi Everyone I am consider getting the Sony xperia z ultra as a gift for graduating with my Bachelors in Information Technology and Cyber Defense.

Before I get started I recently purchased a Huawei Ascend mate Last july and I really liked the battery life but the screen started to bleed I have a bad pixel and it doesnt have the processing power that I now need. I have just started to get into playing on my phone and I was considering getting the moga hero because I have never been to crazy about the touch screen or the tilt the screen gaming.

I have seen on the forums that some people have got it too fit with the moga pro but what about the hero?

Also how is the battery life on the Ultra? I know the Ascend Mate had an 4,050 mah battery Its gonna be weird going down to something smaller?

Does Google Wallet Tap & Pay work for the Ultra? I saw that the Xperia Z is accepted I dont know If it works for the family of Xperia Z

I was considering buying the phone from cells4u.com has anyone used these guys before?

Since this phone is expensive I was gonna get somekind of insurance I currently have squaretrade but its ok I dont like the deductible thing its pretty stupid I was looking at us.protectyourbubble.com. I like the Lost & Theft coverage and the can do $140 a year for full coverage. Has anyone ever used protectyourbubble?

how is the camera? I Heard its bad but Im not a photographer but I saw that the Qx10 is out and its a good option but it doesnt look like the clip on the back works? is the Ultra too big? I wont be taking pictures of too much I am graduating and going to Montreal canada for grad school (first in my family to leave and live outside the states) so I wanted the options of taking some pictures of the beautiful city.

First congratulations for your graduation second, you might read some reviews around here. There are already a lot of pros and cons for this device so just read around. But i can imagine that you would be slighly disappointed with the battery. But if you want to, you could always grab one of the fine and slim sony powerbank with you and keep some peace in mind.

Sent from my C6802 using xda app-developers app
Love to Mod, Love to Experiment,
Sony Fanatic

My App Project:
Fast App Switcher Small App
System Monitor Small App

Phone History:
Nokia 6233 - Sony Ericsson K700i - SE Xperia X10 Mini Pro - SE Xperia Ray - Motorola RAZR Maxx - Xperia Z Ultra

Shadow of Chaos
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Heh, I got mine for my Bachelors in Computer Science!

Quote:
From what I read, the hero's clip is smaller than the regular Pro, and this thing can barely fit in the Pro, so no, I don't think it'll fit in the hero.

I'm about to embark on a little adventure in getting the Gameklip to work with it as soon as all the parts come in, so that's another idea to look for if it works out.

Quote:
Depending on how often you use it (Screen on time), the battery can either be fine or distressing. With my only using it when I'm in public transit or checking email it gets to about 40% at the end of the day.

Most of us solve this with a battery case; The Sony's a popular one for quality, and currently all of us who are interested in something else are looking at Brando's case for it; As far as I know we're all waiting to get it right now.

Quote:
They advertise it and the GPe has it on by default; It also has an NFC chip inside, so I assume so. I can't say I've used it specifically, however.

Quote:
If you're in the US look at what Amazon will use; I did and I got a decent deal out of it.

Quote:
how is the camera? I Heard its bad but Im not a photographer but I saw that the Qx10 is out and its a good option but it doesnt look like the clip on the back works?
Camera is ****, really. Works well in lit situations, but besides that don't expect much. Then again, it's a tablet in essesence: you're going to look like a fool using it as a camera.

Quote:
16 across all models. External uses the SDHC or whatever it's called, so if we ever see them you could theoretically add the 128GB SD card into it, but they only mention 64 on the specs.

Quote:
Sound is pretty bad on the onboard speaker; It'll do fine in quiet areas but otherwise you should stick with headphones. This is because of the waterproofing on the thing; The speaker is naturally sealed. Headphones sound great on it, though.

Video is phenomenal. Best on a phone, IMO.
The Following User Says Thank You to Shadow of Chaos For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Noah321
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow of Chaos View Post
Heh, I got mine for my Bachelors in Computer Science!

From what I read, the hero's clip is smaller than the regular Pro, and this thing can barely fit in the Pro, so no, I don't think it'll fit in the hero.

I'm about to embark on a little adventure in getting the Gameklip to work with it as soon as all the parts come in, so that's another idea to look for if it works out.

Depending on how often you use it (Screen on time), the battery can either be fine or distressing. With my only using it when I'm in public transit or checking email it gets to about 40% at the end of the day.

Most of us solve this with a battery case; The Sony's a popular one for quality, and currently all of us who are interested in something else are looking at Brando's case for it; As far as I know we're all waiting to get it right now.

They advertise it and the GPe has it on by default; It also has an NFC chip inside, so I assume so. I can't say I've used it specifically, however.

If you're in the US look at what Amazon will use; I did and I got a decent deal out of it.

Camera is ****, really. Works well in lit situations, but besides that don't expect much. Then again, it's a tablet in essesence: you're going to look like a fool using it as a camera.

16 across all models. External uses the SDHC or whatever it's called, so if we ever see them you could theoretically add the 128GB SD card into it, but they only mention 64 on the specs.

Sound is pretty bad on the onboard speaker; It'll do fine in quiet areas but otherwise you should stick with headphones. This is because of the waterproofing on the thing; The speaker is naturally sealed. Headphones sound great on it, though.

Video is phenomenal. Best on a phone, IMO.

Im glad to hear that the video is so good. I have a good pair of Vmoda m100's. I was gonna go with Amazon but I found it cheaper on Cell4u for 479$ the cheapest is 500 or so on Amazon I will get 429$ back from Squaretrade. Game clip sounds good because it has Dual Shock 4 controller support.

Shadow of Chaos
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Game clip sounds good because it has Dual Shock 4 controller support.
It does help that it's just a controller clip. That being said, it's not officially supported by gameklip; I'm going to basically jerry-rig the thing together using some cheap silicon cases and their universal version, since they don't have one for the Z Ultra.

If it works it'll be the best gameboy ever. If it doesn't I'll at least get a dual shock out of it I can use on my friends PS... Getting tired of borrowing his broken ones.

---------- Post added at 02:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:10 PM ----------

@Noah321

I have relevant information in regards to your query about the Moga Hero controller.

I posted what I found in a seperate topic because it's relevant: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=49498012

Noah321
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow of Chaos View Post
It does help that it's just a controller clip. That being said, it's not officially supported by gameklip; I'm going to basically jerry-rig the thing together using some cheap silicon cases and their universal version, since they don't have one for the Z Ultra.

If it works it'll be the best gameboy ever. If it doesn't I'll at least get a dual shock out of it I can use on my friends PS... Getting tired of borrowing his broken ones.

---------- Post added at 02:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:10 PM ----------

@Noah321

I have relevant information in regards to your query about the Moga Hero controller.

I posted what I found in a seperate topic because it's relevant: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=49498012

Thanks that post was excatly what I was looking for I saw Ericas review of the Ultra earlier and didnt know that she did the moga hero. Its good too see proof that it fits the hero!

Noah321
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Any news on it being supported with Tap and Pay? I have checked online and found that the Ultra does have the correct Security chip in it too do tap and pay but citi bank has this pay pass thing has anyone used it?