5,606,409 Members 33,688 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Solved] How to stop Google Maps 7.4 reinstalling on reboot?

Tip us?

fullshred
Old
(Last edited by fullshred; 18th January 2014 at 06:42 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Cool [Solved] How to stop Google Maps 7.4 reinstalling on reboot?

I want to permanently get rid of Google Maps 7.4 from my HTC One (rooted) and go back to version 6.14.4. I'm running Android 4.4 / Sense 5.5, so I can't use the "factory rollback" method.

I tried the following:

1. Disable "auto update" for Maps in Google Play
2. Uninstall Maps 7.4 with Titanium Backup
3. Install Maps 6.14.4 from the APK file

This works... until I restart the phone. Then 7.4 is immediately back again. Is this to do with the NAND protection on the HTC One? How can I make the change permanent?

fullshred
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullshred View Post
I want to permanently get rid of Google Maps 7.4 from my HTC One (rooted) and go back to version 6.14.4. I'm running Android 4.4 / Sense 5.5, so I can't use the "factory rollback" method.

I tried the following:

1. Disable "auto update" for Maps in Google Play
2. Uninstall Maps 7.4 with Titanium Backup
3. Install Maps 6.14.4 from the APK file

This works... until I restart the phone. Then 7.4 is immediately back again. Is this to do with the NAND protection on the HTC One? How can I make the change permanent?
Solved... the stock kernel is write protected. Although mounting /system as read+write seems to work, it actually doesn't. You have to install a non-protected kernel, such as BulletProof. Make sure you choose the one that matches your Android and Sense versions. Copy the ZIP to your HTC One, boot into recovery, install zip and reboot... then use Root Explorer or ES File Explorer to delete /system/app/GMS_Maps.apk and /system/app/GMS_Maps.odex. No more Maps 7.x! Thanks nkk71 for the tip.