Enable the Hidden Notification LED on the Google Nexus 6!

LED notification lights have existed on Android devices since the very beginnings … more

MX Player Ready to Rock on Lollipop

A good video player should be reliable and free. One of the XDA Community Apps, MX Player, meets both of … more

How to Disable Data Encryption on Nexus 6

In late September, Google decided to step on NSA’s toes and turn on encryption by default in … more

DJI Phantom 2 Vision+ Review – XDA TV

The holidays will be here in no time, so why not start thinking about gifts now? Youll be ahead … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Anyway to run a win environment on the note? (emulator)

OP DeBoX

15th January 2014, 11:34 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 26

317 posts
Hi

Been wondering if there was anyway to emulate or run a virtual win environment on our little tab?

Was thinking along the lines of Xp or Win 7...

Anyone?
16th January 2014, 05:47 AM   |  #2  
Flag Saratoga
Thanks Meter: 35

185 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeBoX

Hi

Been wondering if there was anyway to emulate or run a virtual win environment on our little tab?

Was thinking along the lines of Xp or Win 7...

Anyone?

Not possible.
16th January 2014, 10:07 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 14

218 posts
Not running Windows per se, but the Microsoft RDP client on Android linked to a Windows PC works very well.

I don't think we'll ever see the Windows kernel running on the Exynos chipset TBH, at the least it would require virtualization or emulation that would require a lot of coding and in any case Windows would place a much larger overhead on the processors than Android or Linux.

Windows RT, the Microsoft "equivalent" of Android (i.e. designed to run on a low-powered chipset), has not been very well received due to its much reduced command set. It looks like Windows desktop, but it cannot run full-blown Windows desktop applications.

FWIW
16th January 2014, 06:39 PM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member

317 posts
Ok, figured I'd ask. I know there were a decent number of virtualisation projects a while back, but usually focused around win98 etc

Though I'd love a stripped xp version on this tab
16th January 2014, 07:42 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 6

42 posts
Could always use Citrix Receiver
17th January 2014, 01:16 AM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member

317 posts
could you elaborate a bit?
17th January 2014, 02:19 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 60

219 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeBoX

could you elaborate a bit?

Heres a link all the info is there most probably best to use gotomypc By the same devs though mate.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...itrix.Receiver
The Following User Says Thank You to Qbm For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th January 2014, 07:54 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 6

18 posts
Well contrary to the "impossible" brigade... a VM with CPU emulation allows all kinds of impossible feats.

PearPC being an example or VirtualPC on old PPC Macs, etc etc. ! There are of course limitations. But the point is x86 & some basic HW emulation will allow you to run Windows as long as what's being emulated is of good enough spec for the version of Windows you want.
The bottleneck is almost always the speed the CPU emulation runs at, and that depends on both host and target architecture and there are different approaches with different advantages/drawbacks.

I've used BOCHS on my 10.1 (original) to run win98 (slooowly) - and others have got XP running (google is your friend) I chose 98 as it's basically DOS +GUI so I figured it might work better. I've not invested a lot of effort as the emulation and integration of UI elements isn't brilliant (yet).

There's a link here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1389700

There are other x86 emulators like DOSBOX/QEMU running on ARM but as with all emulation it's never going to be as quick as a real CPU! That said some DOS games play well I believe.

I've not tried it on my 10.1 (2014) so can't comment on how it good it is there. Can't see how it would be worse!

YMMV.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SatAmnesiac For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread