[Q] Security question: Phones and Intelligence Firm Visits

Tip us?

prospect7
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Prompt [Q] Security question: Phones and Intelligence Firm Visits

*Assume the phone in question is rooted and s-off*

Scenario: A person is invited to the HQ of a very successful and prominent intelligence firm by one of the highest ranking advisors in the firm. The purpose of the invite is unknown to this person, although it isnít a place like Google so they arenít exactly in the business of just giving out tours for friends. Itís possible that lucrative employment may be an option. Assume that buying a prepaid phone for the visit is not an option, and that the phone does not leave the custody of the person at any time during the visit.

Question: Is it possible to push anything to the phone (a program or script for example) which would survive a complete wipe followed by a nandroid restore (backed up before the visit takes place) when only the following is enabled (no NFC, Bluetooth, or Wifi):
-Data/radio
-Radio
-Airplane mode

Thank you very much for your time on this.

alray
Old
(Last edited by alray; 17th January 2014 at 08:58 PM.)
Thanks Meter 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospect7 View Post
*Assume the phone in question is rooted and s-off*

Scenario: A person is invited to the HQ of a very successful and prominent intelligence firm by one of the highest ranking advisors in the firm. The purpose of the invite is unknown to this person, although it isnít a place like Google so they arenít exactly in the business of just giving out tours for friends. Itís possible that lucrative employment may be an option. Assume that buying a prepaid phone for the visit is not an option, and that the phone does not leave the custody of the person at any time during the visit.

Question: Is it possible to push anything to the phone (a program or script for example) which would survive a complete wipe followed by a nandroid restore (backed up before the visit takes place) when only the following is enabled (no NFC, Bluetooth, or Wifi):
-Data/radio
-Radio
-Airplane mode

Thank you very much for your time on this.
Lol this is a little paranoid imo but also very interesting. How could your radio and data be enabled with airplane mode at the same time? I would also say that this isn't specifically related to the HTC ONE but more related to Android in general. Maybe you should ask your special question here
If I helped you, please hit the ''tanks'' button
If you want me to reply, QUOTE me or mention me using @alray, otherwise don't expect any reply

Useful links for HTC One:
nkk71's SuperGUIDE to returning 100% back to stock
Return to stock for Canadian HTC One Users by SaHiLzZ (BELL, TELUS, ROGERS)
Flashing requirements chart by nkk71
HTC1Guru.com by crushalot

cschmitt
Old
Thanks Meter 1503
Yes, it is possible. They put up a rogue cell site, your phone connects to it, and they are in control of any data sent / received to the device.
<this>
The Following User Says Thank You to cschmitt For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

alray
Old
(Last edited by alray; 17th January 2014 at 02:19 AM.)
Thanks Meter 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschmitt View Post
Yes, it is possible. They put up a rogue cell site, your phone connects to it, and they are in control of any data sent / received to the device.
How the device will connect to that rogue cell site with airplane mode activated?

I love that poem mate! in your signature lol ''Ode to the Noob''
If I helped you, please hit the ''tanks'' button
If you want me to reply, QUOTE me or mention me using @alray, otherwise don't expect any reply

Useful links for HTC One:
nkk71's SuperGUIDE to returning 100% back to stock
Return to stock for Canadian HTC One Users by SaHiLzZ (BELL, TELUS, ROGERS)
Flashing requirements chart by nkk71
HTC1Guru.com by crushalot
The Following User Says Thank You to alray For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

prospect7
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks, both of you, I'll post this to the forum you mentioned, alray.

Paranoid yes, but if you've followed the intelligence community closely, it's not so much paranoia as precaution. Trust me, I won't go blame it on aliens, hahaha.

To answer your question, alray: Information has been made public to show that hardware level surveillance is possible on electronic devices and there are devices used to do this. Granted, it's rare, but I figured I'd leave it open ended to see if someone knew something I didn't.