Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,817 Members 53,487 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Phone bricked itself. QHSUSB_DLOAD

Tip us?

r00tb33r
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2

DONATE TO ME
Unhappy Phone bricked itself. QHSUSB_DLOAD

Sadly, my HTC First somehow managed to quietly brick itself while I was carrying it around inside my pocket. It was rooted about three months ago, no other modifications. I have not installed any applications recently. I had a battery low warning (14%) maybe a couple hours before that, but hadn't had a chance to charge it.

I literally pulled it out of my pocket and there was no response of any kind. I plugged it into my PC to charge, but the charge indicator did not light up. Windows showed that it didn't find a driver for QHSUSB_DLOAD.

My warranty is void so... I suppose since the brick didn't happen while flashing anything (I repeat, I did not flash anything), I should have a better chance of recovery over USB, correct? I see instructions for some popular phones, but the procedure requires a dedicated package it seems. I would assume one does not exist for our phones. What do I do now?

I suppose I would feel better had I broken the phone myself, but having it just randomly brick on me like that is just crushing.
The Following User Says Thank You to r00tb33r For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

r00tb33r
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2

DONATE TO ME
WOW THAT SCARED ME SO MUCH. HOOLEEEY SH*****T!

I plugged the phone into an old charger and it began to charge. I was able to turn it on. Does this mean that it's impossible to charge a phone from PC's USB when the battery is drained all the way?

Whew.

russian392
Old
Thanks Meter 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by r00tb33r View Post
WOW THAT SCARED ME SO MUCH. HOOLEEEY SH*****T!

I plugged the phone into an old charger and it began to charge. I was able to turn it on. Does this mean that it's impossible to charge a phone from PC's USB when the battery is drained all the way?

Whew.
Yes that is true.
The reason for that is because to use a phone through USB you must have an alternating current. Aka electrons move back and forth. To and FROM the phone. The charger is a direct current. It simply pushes the battery to recharge.

Sent from my HTC first using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
NEXUS 5
Motorola Atrix HD - White - Cyanogenmod 11
HTC First - White - AOSP 4.1.2 Rooted
HTC One (M7) - Silver - Cyanogenmod 11
ZTE Avail - AOSP 2.3.7
LG Thrive - Cyanogenmod 10.2
XDA Premium