Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[Q] Do I keep my data when upgrading between CM releases?

OP CTSRP

17th January 2014, 08:14 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
27 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2010
More
Hi
I have been using the stock HTC Sense Android releases since I bought my phone about 1.5 years ago. Now that HTC, according the rumors, are no longer updating the HTC One X, I have decided to use CyanogenMod instead. For now I am using the stable 10.2 release, but I am planning on installing the 11.0 nighly, just to try it out. If the current nightly is working great for me I might keep it.

The only thing that I am concerned about is my apps and data. According to the posts in the ROM-section I can just flash a new release on top of an old one, but what will have happen to my data, settings and apps? Will the stay on the phone just like with the OTA-updates from HTC?
17th January 2014, 09:37 PM   |  #2  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
13 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTSRP

Hi
I have been using the stock HTC Sense Android releases since I bought my phone about 1.5 years ago. Now that HTC, according the rumors, are no longer updating the HTC One X, I have decided to use CyanogenMod instead. For now I am using the stable 10.2 release, but I am planning on installing the 11.0 nighly, just to try it out. If the current nightly is working great for me I might keep it.

The only thing that I am concerned about is my apps and data. According to the posts in the ROM-section I can just flash a new release on top of an old one, but what will have happen to my data, settings and apps? Will the stay on the phone just like with the OTA-updates from HTC?


Yes All the data on the "sdcard" is still gonna be there.

Images, music, or something you downloaded is still going to be there.
However you will lose apps, and their data.

Usually we back them up using Titanium Backup. (Requires Root)

Restoring System apps' Data isn't recommanded for CM 11.0

If you got more questions, I'll answer them.
I wish you good luck
17th January 2014, 10:10 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
27 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamomivida

Yes All the data on the "sdcard" is still gonna be there.

Images, music, or something you downloaded is still going to be there.
However you will lose apps, and their data.

Usually we back them up using Titanium Backup. (Requires Root)

Restoring System apps' Data isn't recommanded for CM 11.0

If you got more questions, I'll answer them.
I wish you good luck

Hi
Thanks for the quick response.
I know that the data that is on my "sdcard" will stay as they are, but all apps that I download from Google Play are installed in the NAND-memory and normally when I change the ROM I do a wipe data/factory reset from CWM recovery.
But as stated in this post I can do the following when switching between CM11.0 releases:
Quote:

Upgrading from earlier version of CyanogenMod 11.0:

  • Copy the CM 11.0 zip to your SD card
  • Boot into Recovery
  • DO A BACKUP
  • Flash the CM 11.0 zip from SD card
  • Flash the boot.img included in the CM 11.0 zip via Fastboot if necessary. If in doubt, flash it.
  • Reboot

By just looking at these steps it doesn't seem like it will remove any of my existing apps or settings.
17th January 2014, 10:51 PM   |  #4  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
13 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTSRP

Hi
Thanks for the quick response.
I know that the data that is on my "sdcard" will stay as they are, but all apps that I download from Google Play are installed in the NAND-memory and normally when I change the ROM I do a wipe data/factory reset from CWM recovery.
But as stated in this post I can do the following when switching between CM11.0 releases:

By just looking at these steps it doesn't seem like it will remove any of my existing apps or settings.



I believe it's better to wipe data, and cache.
I am not sure if it works without wiping data and cache,and also not sure if it doesn't remove your apps.

So again, if you're rooted, just install Titanium backup. and follow the usual steps to flash the rom.
Last edited by teamomivida; 18th January 2014 at 08:22 AM.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes