OP CassandraN

15th January 2014, 05:34 PM   |  #21  
Flag Brighton
Thanks Meter: 3

19 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by -sandro-

do any of these steps wipe data and/or apps?
cause I'd like to avoid that but disabling superuser from app doesn't fix the problems of the update failing

I'd imagine so... I think flashing the original stock 4.3 ROM would, but I actually did a factory reset which wiped the data - AFTER running a full backup using Titanium Backup (free version) from the Play store. It's incredibly easy to do- when the backup is finished, make sure you copy the whole folder to a computer so you can copy back and restore when you've managed to upgrade to 4.4.2 . It even saved my homescreen widget and app layouts, which I wasn't expecting! I should mention that Titanium Backup only works if your Moto G is already rooted...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_doyland

Are you just disabling superSU or are you actually choosing the option to unroot, ie the option in superSU that says:

Full unroot
Cleanup for permanent unroot

If you do this is should remove root and put all /system files back as they were (ie the ones it altered during root).

Also I assume you have not modifed any system apps yourself, eg installed newer versions etc or removed any? If you have then again the update wont work. The update checks lots of files to ensure they have not been modified before it does the update.

Using the Full Unroot option in SuperSU wasn't enough for me to get past the error screen on the OTA update. As far as I'm aware, the only thing other than the SuperSU app that wasn't stock was that I'd added a different logo so it didn't display the warning that the bootloader was unlocked. I hadn't (knowingly) updated any system apps, and definitely hadn't removed any.

xTx
15th January 2014, 05:50 PM   |  #22  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 1

46 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tee_pot

Using the Full Unroot option in SuperSU wasn't enough for me to get past the error screen on the OTA update. As far as I'm aware, the only thing other than the SuperSU app that wasn't stock was that I'd added a different logo so it didn't display the warning that the bootloader was unlocked. I hadn't (knowingly) updated any system apps, and definitely hadn't removed any.

Just tried with this, plus restoring the boot logo from the 4.3 UK retail firmware at http://sbf.droid-developers.org/phone.php?device=14. The only thing I can think of that might still not be stock is any files left over from the initial (superboot / MoDaCo method 1) rooting. supersu wiped itself out sufficiently virulently that it can't now reroot the phone though.

I think it's time to try the reflash the whole stock rom, do the OTA update then restore everything using TitaniumBackup option.
Last edited by CassandraN; 15th January 2014 at 05:52 PM.
15th January 2014, 06:09 PM   |  #23  
Flag Brighton

19 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by CassandraN

Just tried with this, plus restoring the boot logo from the 4.3 UK retail firmware at http://sbf.droid-developers.org/phone.php?device=14. The only thing I can think of that might still not be stock is any files left over from the initial (superboot / MoDaCo method 1) rooting. supersu wiped itself out sufficiently virulently that it can't now reroot the phone though.

I think it's time to try the reflash the whole stock rom, do the OTA update then restore everything using TitaniumBackup option.

good luck - I'm just off to work but will be able to check my phone if you need any help! fairly sure if you go through my above posts they'll have links to everything you'll need though!

let us know how you get on...

xTx
15th January 2014, 06:17 PM   |  #24  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 1

46 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tee_pot

good luck - I'm just off to work but will be able to check my phone if you need any help! fairly sure if you go through my above posts they'll have links to everything you'll need though!

let us know how you get on...

xTx

Gah, reflash to stock worked fine, but it's gone back to not seeing the update.
15th January 2014, 06:18 PM   |  #25  
Flag Brighton

19 posts
More
Quote:

updates for your specific rom here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=49390749

xTx
15th January 2014, 08:25 PM   |  #26  
Thanks Meter: 134

444 posts
Quote:

Reflash will alter a certain 'device ID'. Eventually you will get the OTA resent.
16th January 2014, 08:45 AM   |  #27  
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
For users getting the error message.
I just created an account to help other users with the error message, so I hope someone reads this!

I did have to flash back to my 4.3 ROM using:http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2542219 (no idea why, I can't figure out what I changed).

This enabled me to use the OTA update.

YOU WILL NOT LOSE ANY DATA BY FLASHING THE STOCK IMAGE ONCE YOU DO NOT RUN THE BAT WITH /EU COMMAND.

So if you're getting the error, install the stock image without /eu, then just go into 'about phone' and click update. Worked perfectly
16th January 2014, 04:23 PM   |  #28  
Thanks Meter: 108

1,023 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by muxer107

I just created an account to help other users with the error message, so I hope someone reads this!

I did have to flash back to my 4.3 ROM using:http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2542219 (no idea why, I can't figure out what I changed).

YOU WILL NOT LOSE ANY DATA BY FLASHING THE STOCK IMAGE ONCE YOU DO NOT RUN THE BAT WITH /EU COMMAND.

So if you're getting the error, install the stock image without /eu, then just go into 'about phone' and click update. Worked perfectly

Which bat? Also what u mean EU command?

Sent from my XT1032
18th January 2014, 12:14 AM   |  #29  
Flag Brighton

19 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by muxer107

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahac85

Which bat? Also what u mean EU command?

Sent from my XT1032

If you follow the link as suggested by muxer107, step 3a mentions running a .bat with /eu switch.

"The "/eu" switch forces userdata to be erased from the device, this is the same as a factory reset or wipe this is recommended when restoring stock firmware." so if you omit the /eu from the command, then you will not be performing the above reset (NOTE: I have not tested this personally!)

xTx

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread