5,595,645 Members 44,232 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Kindle fire on boot loop after wiping and flashing New Rom hellkat - unsuccessful

Tip us?

stiffknot
Old
(Last edited by stiffknot; 1st January 2014 at 10:13 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Kindle fire on boot loop after wiping and flashing New Rom hellkat - unsuccessful

Guys,

Need some help now..
I have done a preliminary search but I haven't got an answer, hence the New thread.. Sorry about it if it's well explained elsewhere.

I have been using the fire since beginning of 2012 and rooted it and I was running a custom rom (I think Gederom) from one of the devs until yesterday.
It is on twrp 2.1.1

The rom seemed a bit laggy and I decided to try out another last night. So i downloaded the hellkat linaro 4.4.2 2013-12-30 version and the gapps to flash.
I went into recovery and wiped Cache , Dalvik , factory reset and flashed the rom.
Now, the flashing ended with an unsuccessful message and I am stuck on bootloop since there is no active rom on my fire.

Should I update twrp? If so, how?
Or what else am I supposed to do now, to get it up and running?

SwoRNLeaDejZ
Old
(Last edited by SwoRNLeaDejZ; 1st January 2014 at 03:14 PM.)
Thanks Meter 27
You need to flash TWRP 2.6.3.1 in order to flash a 4.4.2 ROM. Flashing on any other version of TWRP will cause an unsuccessful error. I believe Hashcode posted an updated TWRP that while it still states 2.6.3.0, it is actually updated to 2.6.3.1. You need to find it, download it, go back into recovery, go to mount, and mount only USB storage with your kindle connected to your computer. This will allow you to copy files to your kindle from recovery. Copy the recovery to your kindle and flash it like you would flash anything else. Power off your kindle and power it back on, and boot into recovery again. This time, flash the ROM like you normally would, and you should be all set.

EDIT: Did ya one better I still had the zip on my Kindle, so I uploaded it for you. It will still say 2.6.3.0 but it is really 2.6.3.1. Enjoy

TWRP 2.6.3.1 for first gen Kindle Fire

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to SwoRNLeaDejZ For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

purplelightsaber
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I had this exact same issue. Sadly, I cannot boot into recovery to mount my device.

SwoRNLeaDejZ
Old
(Last edited by SwoRNLeaDejZ; 5th January 2014 at 10:18 PM.)
Thanks Meter 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplelightsaber View Post
I had this exact same issue. Sadly, I cannot boot into recovery to mount my device.
If you can get your computer to recognize the kindle when it is in the bootloader through adb then you can boot into recovery by downloading the latest twrp recovery IMG file. Get the TWRP IMG file downloaded and then run the adb commands to get into fastboot mode.

Rooted stock:
Code:
 adb shell su -c 'idme bootmode 4002'
ROM with root access:
Code:
adb shell idme bootmode 4002
Once you are in fastboot mode you can enter recovery without actually having it flashed to your device by issuing the following fastboot command

Code:
fastboot boot recovery path/to/recovery.img
Replace the path/to/recovery with the actual path and name of the recovery image for example if its on your C drive it would be something like "C:/TWRP.2.3.6.1_otter.img"

That will give you full access to the newest TWRP without actually having it flashed on your device and once you save you kindle you can actually permanently flash the recovery.

To get out of fastboot issue the following command.

Code:
fastboot oem idme bootmode 4000
fastboot reboot
Sent from my Nexus 7 2013 using Tapatalk 4

thebryceee
Old
Thanks Meter 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwoRNLeaDejZ View Post
You need to flash TWRP 2.6.3.1 in order to flash a 4.4.2 ROM. Flashing on any other version of TWRP will cause an unsuccessful error. I believe Hashcode posted an updated TWRP that while it still states 2.6.3.0, it is actually updated to 2.6.3.1. You need to find it, download it, go back into recovery, go to mount, and mount only USB storage with your kindle connected to your computer. This will allow you to copy files to your kindle from recovery. Copy the recovery to your kindle and flash it like you would flash anything else. Power off your kindle and power it back on, and boot into recovery again. This time, flash the ROM like you normally would, and you should be all set.

EDIT: Did ya one better I still had the zip on my Kindle, so I uploaded it for you. It will still say 2.6.3.0 but it is really 2.6.3.1. Enjoy

TWRP 2.6.3.1 for first gen Kindle Fire

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
I flashed that zip and it still says v2.0.0.0 in recovery