XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Troubleshoot shutdown on 4.3/4.4 based roms

Tip us?

FirePsych
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 92
Default [Q] Troubleshoot shutdown on 4.3/4.4 based roms

My phone shuts down on 4.3 and 4.4 based roms.
It happens much less often on 4.2 and stock based roms.
It seems to happen when the screen is off. It doesn't shut down when I'm in the middle of doing something. I've seen that on other phones.
If the screen is off, but I'm listening to the music player or Pandora, it does not shut down.
It does not seem to be overheating.
I'm on my 3rd sim card in 2 months and my second class 4 SD card. I only bought a new one b/c used the one from my old phone and thought it was best to start fresh.

Currently I'm running the first CM11, but this has been happening on CM 10.2, AOKP, and a variety of other roms.
My recovery is TWRP 2.6.3.0
I use the regular GAPPS, not PaGAPPS and the appropriate GAPPS for the given AOSP base; 4.2/3/4
I flash SuperSu-v1.65 after a full wipe when installing new roms.
The current apps I have installed in addition to what comes with CM are:
Evernote
Freecell
Google Voice
gReader Pro
Pandora
Quickoffice
Rom Toolbox Pro
Scanner Radio
Shuttle+
SMS Backup+Restore
Solitaire
Tapatalk Pro
UPM - Universal Password Manager
Xposed Installer - I don't have any modules installed at the moment and the last time today it shut down by itself was before I installed Xposed.

I know that logcats are good for tracking down errors for apps that FC, though I don't know yet how to read logs.
Is there an app I can use that can show me activity before the last shutdown?
How can I track down what's causing it?

TIA

aviwdoowks
Old
(Last edited by aviwdoowks; 9th December 2013 at 02:20 AM.)
Thanks Meter 353
please delete
On 2nd thought I did not feel I could contribute well.
Moto X, Razr M & msm8960 STUFF

-----------------------------
----------------------------------
My xt907 Noob & Goodies links

My Moto X / Ultra Stuck W/O Root links

Using TapaTalk or Xda app: You Blind!, Get a Real Browser!

Android File Transfer SUCKS! Is there a no root solution for Osx? I am resorting to Parallels DeskTop-W7. Wait Wait Wait: My OTG fix works!

The Following User Says Thank You to aviwdoowks For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ATTACK
Old
(Last edited by ATTACK; 9th December 2013 at 03:49 PM.)
Recognized Themer
Thanks Meter 1196

DONATE TO ME
Sounds like S.O.D's (sleep of death). It's a kernel problem and I believe they're cause by qcom's hot plugging. You could rename MPdecision to MPdecision.bak and reboot. That will keep the second core on and it should help. I used to get them as well until I updated to the two latest updates. But SOD's are a well known issue with the RAZR M.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

EDIT:
Code:
system \ bin \ MPdecision
-$ locate Dev-Host
/public/ATTACK/myfiles/d-h.st
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ATTACK For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

FirePsych
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviwdoowks View Post
please delete
On 2nd thought I did not feel I could contribute well.
Thanks for trying though.

FirePsych
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATTACK View Post
Sounds like S.O.D's (sleep of death). It's a kernel problem and I believe they're cause by qcom's hot plugging. You could rename MPdecision to MPdecision.bak and reboot. That will keep the second core on and it should help. I used to get them as well until I updated to the two latest updates. But SOD's are a well known issue with the RAZR M.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

EDIT:
Code:
system \ bin \ MPdecision
Attack,

Thanks for the response and thanks for the clarification.
I found two instances of MPdecision, so that narrows it down.

Sorry, but answers always do tend to lead to more questions.....
What functionality do I lose by "disabling" it?
If it keeps the second core on, does that have a significant impact on battery life?

Does the governor have any impact on that?

Would other kernels make a difference?
The Following User Says Thank You to FirePsych For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ATTACK
Old
(Last edited by ATTACK; 9th December 2013 at 05:41 PM.)
Recognized Themer
Thanks Meter 1196

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirePsych View Post
Attack,

Thanks for the response and thanks for the clarification.
I found two instances of MPdecision, so that narrows it down.

Sorry, but answers always do tend to lead to more questions.....
What functionality do I lose by "disabling" it?
If it keeps the second core on, does that have a significant impact on battery life?

Does the governor have any impact on that?

Would other kernels make a difference?
MPdecision is qcomm's hot plugging service that keeps the second core off when its not needed by the system and turns it on when it is needed. By disabling MPdecision, you'll have better performance and slightly higher battery usage, but it's not very noticeable (battery usage will very on how you use your phone). Governor's have no impact on SOD's and all kernels for the Razr M are basically the same either stock or CM's both use the same MPdecision (which I believe to be the problem).

I could be totally wrong and you could have a hardware / software problem. But I know that when I was having this issue, I disabled MPdecision and the SOD's stopped.
-$ locate Dev-Host
/public/ATTACK/myfiles/d-h.st
The Following User Says Thank You to ATTACK For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

FirePsych
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 92
Thanks,
I had read that the SOD had been reported elsewhere, but never saw any solutions. Just lots of folks replacing their phones.

I haven't had one in the last 24 hrs on the 12/08 CM nightly and flashed the 12/09 this morning.
I also made the MPdecisions change. We'll see if it sticks. I assume since it's a system file, I'll have to make the change every time I flash a new nightly or or new rom, but that's not a big deal.

Oh, and yes SOD is probably more accurate than "shutdown" because I've noticed that the led will flash if I've received a message, but I can't revive the phone, so obviously it's not complete shut down.
The Following User Says Thank You to FirePsych For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

FirePsych
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATTACK View Post
MPdecision is qcomm's hot plugging service that keeps the second core off when its not needed by the system and turns it on when it is needed. By disabling MPdecision, you'll have better performance and slightly higher battery usage, but it's not very noticeable (battery usage will very on how you use your phone). Governor's have no impact on SOD's and all kernels for the Razr M are basically the same either stock or CM's both use the same MPdecision (which I believe to be the problem).

I could be totally wrong and you could have a hardware / software problem. But I know that when I was having this issue, I disabled MPdecision and the SOD's stopped.
@ATTACK.
Thank you!
I hate to jynx myself, butthis seems to have done the trick. Only had 1 or 2 BSOD since your response and I think both times were because I forgot to make the change after flashing a new rom.

Happy Holidays
FP

Hikikomori-Otaku
Old
Thanks Meter 21
This thread may have saved my phone. I keep waking up to find my phone with a blinking LED notification and me being unable to get the screen to turn on. I renamed the MPdecision file and I'll hope for the best. (^^)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hikikomori-Otaku For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
4.3, 4.4, shutdown