Lenovo Officially Owns Motorola, Following ~$3 Billion Deal

Google is now officially no longer the owner American phone manufacturer … more

Microsoft Band Fitness Tracker Announced, Available

The wearable market has been around for a few years, with Pebble and Samsung smartwatches … more

Forums Added for the Oppo R5, Oppo N3, and Xiaomi Redmi Note

Just yesterday, Oppo unveiled a pair of rather unique smartphones, the Oppo … more

How to Play Music From Android Wear – XDA TV

Yesterday, we showed you how to do some advanced things with your Moto 360 quite easily … more
Post Reply

Roms

OP osmosizzz

17th January 2014, 12:40 AM   |  #1  
osmosizzz's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Blackmist Town
Thanks Meter: 352
 
1,269 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2010
Hello there. Just wanted a question answered. I just bought a note 2 (coming from the HTC One) to try the note line without breaking the bank. What I wanted to know is if I could flash international note 2 ROMS on the tmobile version of the note 2. I'm loking for a ROM that basically mimicks a lot of the note 3's functions and also has unique looks and customization with exposed and wannam. I think I came across one on the At&t forums so I also wanted to know if we could openly flash At&t roms on this variant of the phone as well without issues. Also, ive read a little and have seen many posts about issues with wifi and fixing it with some kernels. Can someone elaborate on that please? Thank you for your time.
17th January 2014, 10:52 AM   |  #2  
Irwenzhao's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Singapore
Thanks Meter: 256
 
799 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by osmosizzz

Hello there. Just wanted a question answered. I just bought a note 2 (coming from the HTC One) to try the note line without breaking the bank. What I wanted to know is if I could flash international note 2 ROMS on the tmobile version of the note 2. I'm loking for a ROM that basically mimicks a lot of the note 3's functions and also has unique looks and customization with exposed and wannam. I think I came across one on the At&t forums so I also wanted to know if we could openly flash At&t roms on this variant of the phone as well without issues. Also, ive read a little and have seen many posts about issues with wifi and fixing it with some kernels. Can someone elaborate on that please? Thank you for your time.

Ditto Note 3 would work fine for u. Check out SkyNote as well.

Smack that Thanks button if I helped!
XDAing from a N7105 powered by Illusion ROM.
Sent from a small country called Singapore.
P.S. Time for school, not much time for XDA
The Following User Says Thank You to Irwenzhao For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th January 2014, 07:07 PM   |  #3  
Coug76's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag East of Seattle
Thanks Meter: 755
 
1,994 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by osmosizzz

... Also, ive read a little and have seen many posts about issues with wifi and fixing it with some kernels. Can someone elaborate on that please? Thank you for your time.

If your T-889 is still on a 4.1.2 software version and hasn't been updated to 4.3 you may experience wifi initiation problems on 4.3 touchwiz based roms.

You can remedy this by either updating to the new official 4.3 version which installs the knox enabled bootloader, or use PC odin to flash Dr Ketan's bootloader to enable the rom and device to work out wifi start up. A third option is flashing a custom kernel specially the devil kernel by derteufal1980. I have had mixed experience with devil kernel but overall it is good. I personally stock with the stock kernels as they do everything pretty well.

Personally I would go with the Dr Ketan bootloader patch option as it doesn't "burn any bridges" or limit future use like the official bootloader can (causing version regression hassles, allowing knox to pop e-fuses etc). Using the bootloader patch will allow things such as triangle away to work so that you can get back to official stock status for whatever reason you have (selling the device, return for factory service etc).

Others will tell you differently for a variety of reasons that are, at least partially IMHO, valid in a practical sense. Their opinion is valid for their circumstance, I have different needs than they do. YMMV.

If you flash the Dr Ketan bootloader patch you will also want to flash the current modem. There's are odinable versions and some for installation with a custom recovery. They are all the same except for the installation method. If you choose the official upgrade methods you will automatically get the new modem during the process.

There is no downside to installing the current modem, it makes signal acquisition for LTE quicker and I haven't seen it do anything worse than the previous versions.

Before installing anything read all the applicable thread info and check your md5 data.


Hastily spouted for your befuddlement
The Following User Says Thank You to Coug76 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th January 2014, 10:05 PM   |  #4  
osmosizzz's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Blackmist Town
Thanks Meter: 352
 
1,269 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irwenzhao

Ditto Note 3 would work fine for u. Check out SkyNote as well.

Smack that Thanks button if I helped!
XDAing from a N7105 powered by Illusion ROM.
Sent from a small country called Singapore.
P.S. Time for school, not much time for XDA

Got cha. Thank you! I was checking out that rom too. Looks clean and nice. so im assuming being t-mobile phones, if we want to flash international version rom, the section that must be used is the 7105 correct?
17th January 2014, 10:08 PM   |  #5  
osmosizzz's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Blackmist Town
Thanks Meter: 352
 
1,269 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coug76

If your T-889 is still on a 4.1.2 software version and hasn't been updated to 4.3 you may experience wifi initiation problems on 4.3 touchwiz based roms.

You can remedy this by either updating to the new official 4.3 version which installs the knox enabled bootloader, or use PC odin to flash Dr Ketan's bootloader to enable the rom and device to work out wifi start up. A third option is flashing a custom kernel specially the devil kernel by derteufal1980. I have had mixed experience with devil kernel but overall it is good. I personally stock with the stock kernels as they do everything pretty well.

Personally I would go with the Dr Ketan bootloader patch option as it doesn't "burn any bridges" or limit future use like the official bootloader can (causing version regression hassles, allowing knox to pop e-fuses etc). Using the bootloader patch will allow things such as triangle away to work so that you can get back to official stock status for whatever reason you have (selling the device, return for factory service etc).

Others will tell you differently for a variety of reasons that are, at least partially IMHO, valid in a practical sense. Their opinion is valid for their circumstance, I have different needs than they do. YMMV.

If you flash the Dr Ketan bootloader patch you will also want to flash the current modem. There's are odinable versions and some for installation with a custom recovery. They are all the same except for the installation method. If you choose the official upgrade methods you will automatically get the new modem during the process.

There is no downside to installing the current modem, it makes signal acquisition for LTE quicker and I haven't seen it do anything worse than the previous versions.

Before installing anything read all the applicable thread info and check your md5 data.


Hastily spouted for your befuddlement

Thanks for the information! really apprciate it. Hopefully the phone is not updated to 4.3. I'm receiving it tomorrow. will definitely flash that bootloader for sure. Thanks for the awesome tip!
18th January 2014, 01:29 AM   |  #6  
Coug76's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag East of Seattle
Thanks Meter: 755
 
1,994 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by osmosizzz

Thanks for the information! really apprciate it. Hopefully the phone is not updated to 4.3. I'm receiving it tomorrow. will definitely flash that bootloader for sure. Thanks for the awesome tip!

Before you flash anything, boot into stock recovery mode and check if the screen has a line saying knox warranty void or something similar. If I only has device counter you can go ahead and do what you need to do. Once the knox bootloader is installed, there is no going back (a big reason why I prefer the patch option).

If it has one that mentions knox counter don't bother with flashing any bootloader stuff as it is already been taken down the 4.3 update path.



Hastily spouted for your befuddlement
Last edited by Coug76; 18th January 2014 at 01:47 AM.
18th January 2014, 03:12 AM   |  #7  
osmosizzz's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Blackmist Town
Thanks Meter: 352
 
1,269 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coug76

Before you flash anything, boot into stock recovery mode and check if the screen has a line saying knox warranty void or something similar. If I only has device counter you can go ahead and do what you need to do. Once the knox bootloader is installed, there is no going back (a big reason why I prefer the patch option).

If it has one that mentions knox counter don't bother with flashing any bootloader stuff as it is already been taken down the 4.3 update path.



Hastily spouted for your befuddlement

Wow, Seems like knox is a giant headache from what you;re telling me. But even if it has the knox bootloader, will i be able to root, flash a custom recovery and custom rom or knox totally just kills that?
18th January 2014, 03:52 AM   |  #8  
Coug76's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag East of Seattle
Thanks Meter: 755
 
1,994 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by osmosizzz

Wow, Seems like knox is a giant headache from what you;re telling me. But even if it has the knox bootloader, will i be able to root, flash a custom recovery and custom rom or knox totally just kills that?

Knox is an obstacle to be dealt with. You can do all those things with it. Doing things like reverting to previous versions of Android are more frustrating (and less obvious) than with the old bootloader.

Also, once the knox bit is tripped there is no known revert method. If you ever need knox functionality you are out of luck. Most people will never need it at this point. Samsung may or may not decide that the warranty is invalid based on knox counter status. People have stated both Ok and void results. YMMV.

Rooting a knox enabled rom can be tricky but doable as long as you follow the processes outlined in the guides.

Me personally, odin flashing the wifi patch (and modem) was by far preferable. Both can be found in the Tmo gn2 forum right here in river city.

Having said all that, some quality time reading and deciding what is important for you personally will take you far with this device. It really is a great phone and extremely capable.

Best of luck to you.
18th January 2014, 04:50 AM   |  #9  
osmosizzz's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Blackmist Town
Thanks Meter: 352
 
1,269 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coug76

Knox is an obstacle to be dealt with. You can do all those things with it. Doing things like reverting to previous versions of Android are more frustrating (and less obvious) than with the old bootloader.

Also, once the knox bit is tripped there is no known revert method. If you ever need knox functionality you are out of luck. Most people will never need it at this point. Samsung may or may not decide that the warranty is invalid based on knox counter status. People have stated both Ok and void results. YMMV.

Rooting a knox enabled rom can be tricky but doable as long as you follow the processes outlined in the guides.

Me personally, odin flashing the wifi patch (and modem) was by far preferable. Both can be found in the Tmo gn2 forum right here in river city.

Having said all that, some quality time reading and deciding what is important for you personally will take you far with this device. It really is a great phone and extremely capable.

Best of luck to you.

Great. thanks for your time! really appreciated.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes