5,606,465 Members 33,559 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Battery Life Issues. Can't figure it out. Lots of screencaps inside.

Tip us?

jaythenut
Old
Thanks Meter 1282
Quote:
Originally Posted by peped94 View Post
now im on mj7, if i want to downgrade to mj1 , it will trip my knox or not ?
You can't downgrade Sammy won't allow it anymore
if i helped hit the Thanks Button

peped94
Old
Thanks Meter 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaythenut View Post
You can't downgrade Sammy won't allow it anymore
damn u samsung. haha. but if i want to flash mk1 or mk2 when im on mj7, is it trip my knox ? i mean if i want to flash newer firmware than my current firmware

radicalisto
Old
Thanks Meter 1268

DONATE TO ME
Upgrading won't trip KNOX no.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
// Nexus 5 (D821) // Paranoid // UBER //

peped94
Old
Thanks Meter 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by radicalisto View Post
Upgrading won't trip KNOX no.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
are u sure ? because i have read that whenever we upgrade or downgrade our firmware, knox will be changed to 0x1. but im not sure if we just reflash the same stock firmware

jaythenut
Old
Thanks Meter 1282
Quote:
damn u samsung. haha. but if i want to flash mk1 or mk2 when im on mj7, is it trip my knox ? i mean if i want to flash newer firmware than my current firmware
no flashing stock will not trip knox
if i helped hit the Thanks Button

wiebew
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieN View Post
I am running a Note 3 bought in Sweden around the 11th of December, fully stock. Never rooted or anything. I was actually too stupid to update myself to MJ7 right when i bought it before finding out about the KNOX-debacle, but nevermind about that. What is done is done!

Batterylife has so far been alright since I bought the phone. I've managed to get around 7 hours of screen-on time in the exact same environment as these pictures have been taken in without enabling any power saving modes or going to extremes with turning off location services etc. I was very happy.

Yet lately I've been seeing that my battery life has started to get worse. I've noticed it mostly when the phone has been idle. This led me to experiment today. I've experienced the Android OS bug earlier, which caused me to factory reset the phone and start again. It disappeared for a while, but it has come back now.

The reason I am making this thread is that I cannot for the life of me figure out what inside Android OS is wakelocking my phone. I have a lot of pictures detailing my battery stats screen, with screen on times, signal strengths, location settings, google now settings, better battery stats kernel/partial wakelocks/other tabs etc. Even "Wakelock Detector" with all of its tabs are screencapped.

The wakelock times within better battery stats just do not add up to the "Android OS" wakelock time. Is there something I am not seeing, or is it maybe because I am not rooted that I cannot see more detailed info about what is wakelocking my phone? The only thing i've done today which I know wakelocks my phone, is listen to music for about 2 hours. Surely music does not count into Android OS? It is listed as another process in the battery stats..

Anyhow, if anyone has time to take a look at my screencaps to try and pinpoint what it is exactly that adds up to the "Android OS" time, I would be very greatful. This is very frustrating, as I was very sure to disable almost everything that has to do with location services etc. to see how the battery would fare during the day.

Please help me!

Thanks.
Hello EddieN,

Found this on the forum, Under Apps > Settings > Wi-Fi > Menu > Advanced there are two options that should help this: "Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep" and "Always allow scanning" I set the "Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep" to Never and unchecked Always allow scanning and rebooted the phone. This stopped my battery from draining fast, however this is not the solution where was hoping for, maybe Kitkat will solve the problem

kind regards

EddieN
Old
(Last edited by EddieN; 7th January 2014 at 03:40 PM.) Reason: duplicate image
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiebew View Post
Hello EddieN,

Found this on the forum, Under Apps > Settings > Wi-Fi > Menu > Advanced there are two options that should help this: "Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep" and "Always allow scanning" I set the "Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep" to Never and unchecked Always allow scanning and rebooted the phone. This stopped my battery from draining fast, however this is not the solution where was hoping for, maybe Kitkat will solve the problem

kind regards
Hello, thank you for the tip and happy new year!

I tried it, but it didn't work. Wifi is on all the time since the phone never sleeps. I just checked my phone again, and it's been on for about 4 hours. It hasn't entered deep sleep not even 1 minute out of that time. This is getting ridiculous. Screenshots from BBS are attached. As you can see, Kernel and Partial Wakelocks just don't add up to the "Awake" time.. Why is this? What is keeping my phone awake?

I'm seriously getting desperate. I'm considering just tripping knox and dealing with it properly with a custom rom/kernel combination that rids the phone of these problems. Is KitKat due this month? Or is it february? I may wait for it but something tells me it wont solve the issues we are having.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-01-07 15.32.52.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	2500310   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-01-07 15.33.00.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	185.1 KB
ID:	2500311   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-01-07 15.33.13.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	2500312  

billythegod
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
i have exactly same problem like yours. my main wakelock is resume_wakelock and sec battery monitor. i dont know what cause those 2 wakelock. i had disabled all location services and turn off gps and auto sync. do u managed to overcome this problem ?
me too, have you settle this problem yet?

kmaq
Old
Thanks Meter 692
Did you try: Settings - wifi - advanced - turn off scanning always available & auto network switch and network notification

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Nexus 7 (2013) - WiFi Edition / Stock 4.4.2 - KOT49H
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (SM-N9005) / Stock 4.3 (TW) - JSS15J.N9005XXUDMJ7
HTC Desire - GSM / Stock 2.3.3 (HTC Sense)

~~~~~~~~~If i have helped you, don't hesitate to hit the thanks button~~~~~~~~~~

peped94
Old
Thanks Meter 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by billythegod View Post
me too, have you settle this problem yet?
yes. finally my battery life back to normal. just updated to the latest firmware in my country and do a factory reset in recovery mode. now no more drain like hell but still android os consume about 10-15% but sec battery monitor and resume wakelock no more on top in wakelock detector. i also can get about 7hours 300min screen on time with 1day standby time