Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,636 Members 53,179 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Will general KitKat update be the same as Developer Edition KitKat?

Tip us?

thedancingbear
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Will general KitKat update be the same as Developer Edition KitKat?

The HTC One Developer Edition got KitKat almost two months ago, and we've seen plenty of Sense roms released with KitKat as a result. However, is the official update that's supposedly coming out this month for regular non-developer edition phones going to be any different?

If not, why is there a delay at all?

n1234d
Old
Thanks Meter 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedancingbear View Post
The HTC One Developer Edition got KitKat almost two months ago, and we've seen plenty of Sense roms released with KitKat as a result. However, is the official update that's supposedly coming out this month for regular non-developer edition phones going to be any different?

If not, why is there a delay at all?
Nope, it isn't gonna be any different. Its just taking time because of carrier modifications and many intermediate testing and approval stages. Read the HTC update chart that had come up on the xda portal a few weeks ago.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Always hit the "Thanks" Button
Samsung SCH-M569 --> Nokia Asha 200 --> iPod Touch 4G --> HTC One (M7) --> HTC One (M8)
Current Device :
HTC One (M8) M8q Gunmetal Grey (Lighter Variant)
HBOOT 3.16 S-ON
1.56.720.6 Stock rooted
ElementalX Kernel

clsA
Old
Thanks Meter 878

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by n1234d View Post
Nope, it isn't gonna be any different. Its just taking time because of carrier modifications and many intermediate testing and approval stages. Read the HTC update chart that had come up on the xda portal a few weeks ago.

@thedancingbear
this is mostly right .. but AT&T have never followed the same path and their RUU and updates often include different radio's different hboot different touchscreen drivers and are better suited to AT&T US phones
(more fine tuned if you will). The basic kitkat will be the same but that's about it.
HTC One 32 GB AT&T

The Following User Says Thank You to clsA For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

n1234d
Old
Thanks Meter 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by clsA View Post
@thedancingbear
this is mostly right .. but AT&T have never followed the same path and their RUU and updates often include different radio's different hboot different touchscreen drivers and are better suited to AT&T US phones
(more fine tuned if you will). The basic kitkat will be the same but that's about it.
Don't most carriers have their own radios? I think the hboot will be the same across the ATT & Dev editions. Both are receiving the same update (4.06.1540.2) and have identical hardware.

Samsung SCH-M569 --> Nokia Asha 200 --> iPod Touch 4G --> HTC One (M7) --> HTC One (M8)
Current Device :
HBOOT 3.16 S-ON
1.56.720.6 Stock rooted
ElementalX Kernel

clsA
Old
Thanks Meter 878

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by n1234d View Post
Don't most carriers have their own radios? I think the hboot will be the same across the ATT & Dev editions. Both are receiving the same update (4.06.1540.2) and have identical hardware.

The Developer Edition has already been updated 2 times
(their at .1540.3 now) and The carrier updates are not the same as the developer edition ..different radio / different build.prop / different drivers
Same basic kitkat features .. yes
HTC One 32 GB AT&T

n1234d
Old
Thanks Meter 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by clsA View Post
The Developer Edition has already been updated 2 times
(their at .1540.3 now) and The carrier updates are not the same as the developer edition ..different radio / different build.prop / different drivers
Same basic kitkat features .. yes
Hmm. Nice to know..

Current Device :
HBOOT 3.16 S-ON
1.56.720.6 Stock rooted
ElementalX Kernel