Lollipop Leak Available for the Sprint Galaxy S5

Since the Android 5.0Lollipop’s official release not too long ago, we’ve seen … more

CPU Spy Gets an Android Lollipop Makeover

At some point in the distant past, you probably heard of CPU Spy for Android by XDARetired … more

Amazon Fire TV Stick vs Chromecast – XDA TV

There is no doubt that Amazon is a huge player in many markets, and they want to be a huge … more

Fight the Heat and Conserve Battery with EaseUS Coolphone

Memory hungry Android applications are often responsible for making our device … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Help with multiple KF2 Root/Unremoveable Programs

OP herrenfam

13th January 2014, 12:51 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

14 posts
I don't know what I've done to my KF2. I have successfully rooted the device, and have even been in fastboot for something I tried (can't remember what, just that I was trying to properly root my device). But I have about 14 programs that won't remove off my device (they only show "Add to Favorites" on my device instead of the additional option to remove from device)? I cannot get into ES File Manager and delete them. The .apk's for these files are located in the system folder, and even when I mount root in ES File Manager, I can't delete any of the files in the folder.

I also have a lot of problems with my toolbars randomly flickering on and off. But nothing I've read and tried, except for restoring the device and rerooting it again fixes this problem. I've also looked at a lot of posts that tell me to do a command with the /data/local.prop file. But I don't have this file on my kindle. I've searched for it everywhere using ES File Manager. I do have a /data/default.prop file, however. But I can't use ADB commands on that file either.

So I was advised to get a factory cable so that I can boot into fastboot. But I can use KFFIRSTAIDE to get into that successfully. Can anyone tell me what I've done to my kindle, what programs, and what commands I need in order to fix this problem? I'm not an idiot; I successfully rooted 3 KF2's and a KFHD successfully before this monster of a device came along!
13th January 2014, 03:02 PM   |  #2  
Flag /system/xbin/su
Thanks Meter: 97

435 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by herrenfam

I don't know what I've done to my KF2. I have successfully rooted the device, and have even been in fastboot for something I tried (can't remember what, just that I was trying to properly root my device). But I have about 14 programs that won't remove off my device (they only show "Add to Favorites" on my device instead of the additional option to remove from device)? I cannot get into ES File Manager and delete them. The .apk's for these files are located in the system folder, and even when I mount root in ES File Manager, I can't delete any of the files in the folder.

I also have a lot of problems with my toolbars randomly flickering on and off. But nothing I've read and tried, except for restoring the device and rerooting it again fixes this problem. I've also looked at a lot of posts that tell me to do a command with the /data/local.prop file. But I don't have this file on my kindle. I've searched for it everywhere using ES File Manager. I do have a /data/default.prop file, however. But I can't use ADB commands on that file either.

So I was advised to get a factory cable so that I can boot into fastboot. But I can use KFFIRSTAIDE to get into that successfully. Can anyone tell me what I've done to my kindle, what programs, and what commands I need in order to fix this problem? I'm not an idiot; I successfully rooted 3 KF2's and a KFHD successfully before this monster of a device came along!

Well, if you can reboot into fastboot via KFFA, than no, you don't necessarily need a fastboot cable. Have you tried removing these programs via ADB? If you ADB shell into the device, does the command "su" work? System apps can't be uninstalled the normal way, you have to manually delete them from "/system/app/" yourself. But that's weird that you can't get ES to work. Which version of ES file explorer are you using? I know the new version requires you to not only turn root explorer on, but you have to tap two radial dials to switch it from "/system" from RO (read only) to RW (read writable).

Hope this helped
The Following User Says Thank You to Ph0enix_216 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th January 2014, 10:44 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

14 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph0enix_216

Well, if you can reboot into fastboot via KFFA, than no, you don't necessarily need a fastboot cable. Have you tried removing these programs via ADB? If you ADB shell into the device, does the command "su" work? System apps can't be uninstalled the normal way, you have to manually delete them from "/system/app/" yourself. But that's weird that you can't get ES to work. Which version of ES file explorer are you using? I know the new version requires you to not only turn root explorer on, but you have to tap two radial dials to switch it from "/system" from RO (read only) to RW (read writable).

Hope this helped

What command(s) would I use to remove these programs? The only command I know is "ADB SHELL su". I am not an idiot at computer software, but I was absent on the day they handed out the intelligence on DOS commands.

And how would I get rid of the associated program files? Or do I just leave them on the drive?

What I would really like to do is unroot the device (which seemed to screw it up last time I tried it), restore to factory defaults as to erase all this gibberish, and restart from fresh, with a clean slate and then a clean root. Can that be done? How would I accomplish that? Like I said, it seemed that I the problems with the programs not uninstalling started with the restoring of the device, be it by unrooting it or by restoring the device to factory defaults on the kindle.

PS: yes, I can get into SU on ADB on my computer. I just don't know where to go from there. And my ES File Explorer is V. 3.0.9.0. I looked in the settings and could not find a option to change file to RW.
Last edited by herrenfam; 17th January 2014 at 10:56 PM.
18th January 2014, 06:06 AM   |  #4  
Flag /system/xbin/su

435 posts
More
Quote:

What command(s) would I use to remove these programs? The only command I know is "ADB SHELL su". I am not an idiot at computer software, but I was absent on the day they handed out the intelligence on DOS commands.

And how would I get rid of the associated program files? Or do I just leave them on the drive?

What I would really like to do is unroot the device (which seemed to screw it up last time I tried it), restore to factory defaults as to erase all this gibberish, and restart from fresh, with a clean slate and then a clean root. Can that be done? How would I accomplish that? Like I said, it seemed that I the problems with the programs not uninstalling started with the restoring of the device, be it by unrooting it or by restoring the device to factory defaults on the kindle.

PS: yes, I can get into SU on ADB on my computer. I just don't know where to go from there. And my ES File Explorer is V. 3.0.9.0. I looked in the settings and could not find a option to change file to RW.

The commands to remove bloatware and stuff (in this case, apps) would be:

Code:
adb shell
su
mount /system
rm /system/app/nameofapp1.apk
rm /system/app/nameofapp2.apk
rm /system/app/nameofapp3.apk
reboot
If a clean slate is what you want, then you can use this tool here to flash three stock Kindle partition images (boot.img, recovery.img, and system.img) to your Kindle via fastboot. The images aren't of the latest firmware, but I don't think OTA updates are disabled, so you can just let your Kindle auto update over wi-fi.

If "su" works in the ADB shell, then I guess you are rooted. I don't know what to say from there, except to backup whatever data you can and start fresh.
18th January 2014, 02:52 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

14 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph0enix_216

The commands to remove bloatware and stuff (in this case, apps) would be:

Code:
adb shell
su
mount /system
rm /system/app/nameofapp1.apk
rm /system/app/nameofapp2.apk
rm /system/app/nameofapp3.apk
reboot
If a clean slate is what you want, then you can use this tool here to flash three stock Kindle partition images (boot.img, recovery.img, and system.img) to your Kindle via fastboot. The images aren't of the latest firmware, but I don't think OTA updates are disabled, so you can just let your Kindle auto update over wi-fi.

If "su" works in the ADB shell, then I guess you are rooted. I don't know what to say from there, except to backup whatever data you can and start fresh.

Thanks a great deal. Where is the program to flash the three stock .img files so I can have a from-the-beginning kindle? I've already got the only thing I need from the device - a list of the third-party apps and where I downloaded them from.
18th January 2014, 04:18 PM   |  #6  
Flag /system/xbin/su

435 posts
More
Quote:

Thanks a great deal. Where is the program to flash the three stock .img files so I can have a from-the-beginning kindle? I've already got the only thing I need from the device - a list of the third-party apps and where I downloaded them from.

...I forgot to post the link, didn't I?

Here it is: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2096888

>>>Sent from my homebuilt TARDIS running Android 4.0.3... or maybe it's a rooted Kindle Fire HD<<<
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
factory cable kindle fire, programs unable to be removed, root
Previous Thread Next Thread