XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Can't flash custom recovery that works

Tip us?

Krogey
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Can't flash custom recovery that works

I'm using VS980, on 12B (sorry if I shouldn't have taken the OTA for what I want to do but I didn't know it'd be a problem). I just got this phone a few days ago and I've spent a fair amount of time trying to flash CWM touch to it, using the "loki" method (which I have no idea what loki is or what it's for), and consistently failed.

Each time I try pushing a CWM img with adb using loki_flash it results in an error at the end saying [-] loki aboot version does not match device.
I'm assuming this means the version of loki_flash file I'm using isn't compatible with 12B, but the OP in this thread states that in his walkthrough he's referencing the VZW img file, so I'm confused as to why it isn't working.

Moving on from that, I tried pushing the img without loki just using adb (method #2 in the above thread), and it appeared successful judging by the command prompt, however upon reboot I'm left with a black screen and have to hard restart my phone. I'm left without a working recovery.

With both of these methods failing, I tried installing CWM using an app called freegee, which I found to work, and CWM was fully functional. However, I thereafter tried flashing an AOKP ROM and a CM ROM and both failed. Both failure prompts were different, but the first one mentioned something about loki (again, what does this mean?) I tried rebooting from there and found my phone soft bricked (bootlooping) and I had to restore my nandroid backup.

So in summary, clearly I'm doing something wrong throughout all of the flashing processes that's resulting in recoveries that don't correctly flash ROMs for this phone. Right now I'm left running rooted stock with absolutely no recovery, unless I use freegee to flash TWRP or CWM but I'm left with recoveries that won't flash ROMs.

If anybody could help me sort out this mess I'd appreciate it.

simon_lefisch
Old
(Last edited by simon_lefisch; 19th January 2014 at 03:23 AM.)
Thanks Meter 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krogey View Post
I'm using VS980, on 12B (sorry if I shouldn't have taken the OTA for what I want to do but I didn't know it'd be a problem). I just got this phone a few days ago and I've spent a fair amount of time trying to flash CWM touch to it, using the "loki" method (which I have no idea what loki is or what it's for), and consistently failed.

Each time I try pushing a CWM img with adb using loki_flash it results in an error at the end saying [-] loki aboot version does not match device.
I'm assuming this means the version of loki_flash file I'm using isn't compatible with 12B, but the OP in this thread states that in his walkthrough he's referencing the VZW img file, so I'm confused as to why it isn't working.

Moving on from that, I tried pushing the img without loki just using adb (method #2 in the above thread), and it appeared successful judging by the command prompt, however upon reboot I'm left with a black screen and have to hard restart my phone. I'm left without a working recovery.

With both of these methods failing, I tried installing CWM using an app called freegee, which I found to work, and CWM was fully functional. However, I thereafter tried flashing an AOKP ROM and a CM ROM and both failed. Both failure prompts were different, but the first one mentioned something about loki (again, what does this mean?) I tried rebooting from there and found my phone soft bricked (bootlooping) and I had to restore my nandroid backup.

So in summary, clearly I'm doing something wrong throughout all of the flashing processes that's resulting in recoveries that don't correctly flash ROMs for this phone. Right now I'm left running rooted stock with absolutely no recovery, unless I use freegee to flash TWRP or CWM but I'm left with recoveries that won't flash ROMs.

If anybody could help me sort out this mess I'd appreciate it.
The files from the thread you linked to aren't Loki patched (to my knowledge) look in the Verizon development thread and search for CWM/TWRP for 12B. Those should work. I've been using TWRP and can flash ROMS fine. Also its a matter of those ROMS being patched to flash while on 12B. CM11/gummy/carbon/cyanfox are patched and flash fine.

Here's the link

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=48879826

Sent from chdhsheh fhhdud

Krogey
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thank you, that did the trick as far as adb pushing a recovery with loki. It worked and I'm looking at my CWM screen right now. I'll try flashing CM and let you know how it goes although I don't anticipate any problems from here on out.

Thank you again.