XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Phone will enter recovery but not main bootloader screen

Tip us?

shopperen
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Prompt [Q] Phone will enter recovery but not main bootloader screen

So I am trying to install CM11 on my G2 D802. Root done, Loki done, CWM or TWRP recovery done, CM11 image and GApps on sdcard partition. Now there is just one problem. I need to transfer the boot.img file from the CM11 zip file, however, I am unable to enter the main booloader screen, thus the Fastboot option. When I try to do so, the phone just reboots normally and launches the Android. I have the same problem with both CWM and TWRP. Anyone have an idea as to what is wrong?

Dick Ripple
Old
Thanks Meter 41
Not really sure what you are talking about. If you have recovery all you need to do is wipe system, data, and cache. Then install the CM11 zip.

Sent from my LG-VS980 using xda app-developers app

shopperen
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Ripple View Post
Not really sure what you are talking about. If you have recovery all you need to do is wipe system, data, and cache. Then install the CM11 zip.

I should start by mentioning, that the whole; Power and volume down button to enter bootloader never worked on the D802.

Basically what I need to do, is to transfer the boot.img file before flashing the .zip file, otherwise I will get bootloop (this is my second D802). That has always been the case for any Android device I have had.

So in order to flash the boot.img file, I must enter the Fastboot menu on my G2 before I can transfers the file via command prompt.

mchlbenner
Old
Thanks Meter 431
Stop what your doing read up before you try to do anything.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using xda premium

Dick Ripple
Old
Thanks Meter 41
I've been flashing roms for years and nothing you are saying makes any sense. If you are having trouble entering recovery download terminal emulator. Open app and type su then press enter. You will be asked to grant root access assuming you have root. Then type reboot recovery, after that your phone will boot into recovery. Wipe, flash rom and gapps.

th3g1z
Old
Thanks Meter 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by shopperen View Post
I should start by mentioning, that the whole; Power and volume down button to enter bootloader never worked on the D802.

Basically what I need to do, is to transfer the boot.img file before flashing the .zip file, otherwise I will get bootloop (this is my second D802). That has always been the case for any Android device I have had.

So in order to flash the boot.img file, I must enter the Fastboot menu on my G2 before I can transfers the file via command prompt.
If you downloaded CM11 for your device specifically then you do not need to flash a separate kernel (boot.img) it would be included in the ROM zip file.. As should be the case with any current ROM that is compatible with your model G2. If you were going to experiment by way of flashing some other G2 variant (ie. D800/1/3) which is not advisable btw on your D802 then I could see you flashing a kernel separately.

That said I agree with the person above me.. You should do a bit more reading so you understand these elements properly before ending up with a paper weight (or another one from the sounds of your post). Hope it helps good luck

Sent from my d800 using Tapatalk
Current: G2 (D800) GNote 2 LTE, Nexus 7 FHD

Past - HTC: One, Jetstream | Samsung: i717, i777 | Moto: Atrix, Backflip | LG: Thrill | Apple: iPhone 4-4S/3G-S/2G | Blackberry: 8300, 8800 | Nokia: N71 ... and you know all the others I forget going back to the startak

shopperen
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3g1z View Post
If you downloaded CM11 for your device specifically then you do not need to flash a separate kernel (boot.img) it would be included in the ROM zip file.. As should be the case with any current ROM that is compatible with your model G2. If you were going to experiment by way of flashing some other G2 variant (ie. D800/1/3) which is not advisable btw on your D802 then I could see you flashing a kernel separately.

That said I agree with the person above me.. You should do a bit more reading so you understand these elements properly before ending up with a paper weight (or another one from the sounds of your post). Hope it helps good luck

Sent from my d800 using Tapatalk
Kernel files very depending on region. The distributor for LG phones in my country have altered the kernel in such a way, that the boot.img is required to be flashed.

Tags
bootloader, cm11, g2d802, recovery, twrp