Early Lollipop Ports for Micromax A116 and A117

It feels like it was only yesterday when Google announced the mysterious Android L.After … more

Now Gesture Tweaks Replaces Google Now with Custom Action

On most modern Android devices with software navigation keys, swiping up from the … more

ToqAN Fixes Android 5.0 Notification Bug on Qualcomm Toq

The Qualcomm Toq is probably one of the lesser known smartwatches on the market … more

How to Root and Unlock the Google Nexus 6 on a Mac – XDA TV

In the past, XDA Developer TV Producer droidmodd3rx has shown you how to … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Soft Navigation Keys Disappear on 8.4.6

OP chsandsas

19th January 2014, 04:53 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

4 posts
I have a Kindle Fire HD 8.4.6, rooted with Hashcodes 2nd Bootloader guide and TWRP and Seokhun's excellent instructions. I am having a problem with the soft navigation keys consistently disappearing upon booting up. I have since restored my origional backup files, but retain the 8.1.4 bootloader and SuperSU.

Can someone help me retain the disappearing navigational keys?
19th January 2014, 08:56 AM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Flag New Braunfels, TX
Thanks Meter: 610

2,230 posts
Donate to Me
More
When you came to cm from amazon os did you factory wipe? Also try clearing your dalvik cache and cache from twrp's wipe menu. If that doesn't work I'd redownload the ROM and check it's md5sum before flashing.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD running CM10.1 Tablet UI using xda-developers app
19th January 2014, 10:59 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

4 posts
Smile
Thanks for your quick reply, Stunts. You and Hash and Seokun and the other devs are amazing.

What I think happened was that I experienced the disappearing soft keys (perhaps after downloading some software that tried to automatically clear memory and space ) and loaded a more user friendly android launcher, while trying to retain the amazon interface for my wife, which integrated with the recovery partition or root system of the boot.

I believe I resolved this (after 6 successful boots after 0 for 5) using Hashes 8.4.3 update @ http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2142241. I am guessing that file updated the bootloader, which seems to have resolved my initial problem.

However, the "Upgrade Your Kindle " box is still grayed out. So, If I did want to go back to 8.4.6, what would you suggest?
19th January 2014, 07:50 PM   |  #4  
Recognized Contributor
Flag New Braunfels, TX

2,230 posts
Donate to Me
More
Ah that button is usually greyed out, it's meant for if you follow amazon's instruction on their site and put their update file on your sdcard, if you do that then it would let you hit it. That method should still work I believe if you want to update it. Keep in mind that would unroot it and possibly get rid of custom recovery, but it's been a while so I don't remember if it gets rid of custom recovery, then again I just woke up and I haven't used amazon os for the better part of a year now.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD running CM10.1 Tablet UI using xda-developers app
Last edited by stunts513; 19th January 2014 at 07:55 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to stunts513 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th January 2014, 09:39 AM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

4 posts
I followed Amazons directions, placed the .bin file in internal memory, but the "Upgrade Your Kindle" box is still grayed out.
20th January 2014, 11:39 AM   |  #6  
Recognized Contributor
Flag New Braunfels, TX

2,230 posts
Donate to Me
More
Did u ever at some point disable ota's?

The Following User Says Thank You to stunts513 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st January 2014, 01:58 AM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member

4 posts
Red face
You guys are awesome. After allowing OTA updates, with the update .bin file in internal memory, the Update My Kindle button was activated. However, 8.4.3 with the Holo launcher seems to be working great. Thanks so much!

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread