FORUMS

[FTF] Sony Xperia Z Lollipop Release

Sony rolled out a Lollipop update for Xperia Z just yesterday. If you still haven’t gotten … more

Original Moto G Receives Lollipop, OTA Captured

The original Moto G was released almost two years ago. Motorola still continues to … more

Device Review: No.1 X1 Rugged Smartphone

We are almost at the end of Q2 for 2015, and we have seen most of the flagship phones for the … more

When a Friend or Family Member Asks for a Phone Recommendation, What Do You Tell Them?

The majority of us here at XDA would consider … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

AOSP Browser on Touchwiz 4.3?

18th January 2014, 09:42 PM |#1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 273
 
More
I've been struggling to get the AOSP Browser to work properly on the new TW update. It installs and launches okay, but force closes upon pressing menu. I've tried side loading it in system/app (with a couple other dependencies) and installing Android Browser from the play store. Has anyone succeeded in doing this?

On the same note, I'm having a similar experience with installing Google Talk. It's a superior piece of software when compared to hangouts so I'd prefer to use the better option, but it too encounters issues upon being side loaded... Mainly, it cannot connect to my account upon opening.

Any information would be great. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
 
 
18th January 2014, 09:54 PM |#2  
ThePagel's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Minneapolis
Thanks Meter: 711
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Div033

I've been struggling to get the AOSP Browser to work properly on the new TW update. It installs and launches okay, but force closes upon pressing menu. I've tried side loading it in system/app (with a couple other dependencies) and installing Android Browser from the play store. Has anyone succeeded in doing this?

On the same note, I'm having a similar experience with installing Google Talk. It's a superior piece of software when compared to hangouts so I'd prefer to use the better option, but it too encounters issues upon being side loaded... Mainly, it cannot connect to my account upon opening.

Any information would be great. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

isn't chrome the new aosp browser? Plus 4.3 has the old aosp browser pre installed (the one that has the globe as the icon).
18th January 2014, 09:57 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 273
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePagel

isn't chrome the new aosp browser? Plus 4.3 has the old aosp browser pre installed (the one that has the globe as the icon).

Nope and not exactly.

Yes, it is known that Google has replaced the AOSP browser with Chrome, but the two are very different in their rendering engines and plugin support. Chrome likes to do a lot of weird things, like size up text randomly. It also doesn't support flash.

The browser that comes with 4.3 TW is closer to the AOSP browser, but has been massively reworked by Samsung. It can only hold open 16 tabs at a time and has caching issues which forces me to close it via task manager before it will start loading pages again.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
18th January 2014, 10:03 PM |#4  
ThePagel's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Minneapolis
Thanks Meter: 711
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Div033

Nope and not exactly.

Yes, it is known that Google has replaced the AOSP browser with Chrome, but the two are very different in their rendering engines and plugin support. Chrome likes to do a lot of weird things, like size up text randomly. It also doesn't support flash.

The browser that comes with 4.3 TW is closer to the AOSP browser, but has been massively reworked by Samsung. It can only hold open 16 tabs at a time and has caching issues which forces me to close it via task manager before it will start loading pages again.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Thank you for informing me on that! I use to love chrome but now that the aosp/TW edited asop browser syncs my chrome bookmarks I stay away from it.
19th January 2014, 01:40 AM |#5  
ThePagel's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Minneapolis
Thanks Meter: 711
 
Donate to Me
More
Since no one seems to have a answer for you if you give me a market link or whatever link I'll see if I have the same problem.
19th January 2014, 01:56 AM |#6  
DigitalMD's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Washington DC
Thanks Meter: 625
 
More
Seems Google is abandoning support for what used to be the ASOP browser and Android 4.4 support for the old browser has lost some functionality because of built-in engine change from Webkit to Chromium.
19th January 2014, 02:02 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 273
 
More
Here is the market link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ndroid.browser

Google's been making a number of questionable "improvements" to its app catalog that have resulted in a less user-friendly experience. New maps, Hangouts and Chrome are not as good as their predecessors. Hangouts and Maps specifically are quite laggy and buggy.

If they keep butchering their core apps then I'll probably start looking outside Android... I dunno... Despite these steps backward, Android is probably still the best option.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
19th January 2014, 06:18 AM |#8  
ThePagel's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Minneapolis
Thanks Meter: 711
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Div033

Here is the market link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ndroid.browser

Google's been making a number of questionable "improvements" to its app catalog that have resulted in a less user-friendly experience. New maps, Hangouts and Chrome are not as good as their predecessors. Hangouts and Maps specifically are quite laggy and buggy.

If they keep butchering their core apps then I'll probably start looking outside Android... I dunno... Despite these steps backward, Android is probably still the best option.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Yeah menu crashes the app for me as well.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes