Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,811,145 Members 45,773 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

OEM Cases and Magnet Damage to G2??

Tip us?

eozen81
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 76
Default OEM Cases and Magnet Damage to G2??

Hi Guys,

I just want to ask, you know there are some 3rd party cases with magnets as a replicate QuickWindow case of LG. I have bought one of them but now hesitate to use it because I read some articles that this kind of magnets might damage phone's touch sensor or camera in the long term if they use low quality magnets due to geomagnetic forces.

Do you agree with this or should we avoid to use cases with magnets like below that I have bought one?

Nillkin fresh series side flip leather case for LG G2

LG G2/D802

vPro97
Old
Thanks Meter 346
On my old iPhone 4 I had a really poor quality flip cover with a magnet. The magnet was low quality and got weak over time but it didn't do my phone any harm.

Sent from my LG-D802 using xda app-developers app
Please hit the "Thanks" button if you found my post useful !

Optimise the battery life of your LG G2 without root!
The Following User Says Thank You to vPro97 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mike105105
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Low quality magnets are weaker than good rare earth magnets so that part is definitely wrong. Also the placement is far enough away from the camera that I can't imagine it causing trouble for autofocus. LCD screens have no sensitivity to magnets so the only way I can see a problem there is if the material over the magnet is low quality and causes scratches. The only problem I have is with the compass so I remove the case when doing photospheres or anything that uses the compass.

Sent from my LG-D801 using XDA Premium HD app
The Following User Says Thank You to mike105105 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

eozen81
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 76
An critical update:

I've been using above magnet quick window case, everything is fine but once I flip over the cover the screen does not go off always. It was not like this on my previous non-mgnet Quick Window case.

I started to think maybe rumours are right and this magnet damages something on the phone
LG G2/D802

vPro97
Old
Thanks Meter 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by eozen81 View Post
An critical update:

I've been using above magnet quick window case, everything is fine but once I flip over the cover the screen does not go off always. It was not like this on my previous non-mgnet Quick Window case.

I started to think maybe rumours are right and this magnet damages something on the phone
I think the issue lies in the design of the case. The official Quick Window has a magnet or something that triggers the QuickWindow sensor which makes it turn off.
Please hit the "Thanks" button if you found my post useful !

Optimise the battery life of your LG G2 without root!

eozen81
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 76
My above NILLKIN case is supporting screen on/off my problem it does not work perfect. Sometimes it works but sometimes it doesn't.

That's why I want to give feedback here
LG G2/D802