Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,274 Members 45,971 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Rooting my gear tonight... Question

Tip us?

Markor13
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 78
Default Rooting my gear tonight... Question

I was told if I root my gear I can use bluetooth tether and essentially run apps on my gear. The apps I'm looking to run are for my car alarm and ingress. So what I was wondering is what I was told true? And do I just have to root my gear or does my phone have to be rooted as well? Because right now I have the Note 3 completely stock and unrooted.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

fOmey
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 3898
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markor13 View Post
I was told if I root my gear I can use bluetooth tether and essentially run apps on my gear. The apps I'm looking to run are for my car alarm and ingress. So what I was wondering is what I was told true? And do I just have to root my gear or does my phone have to be rooted as well? Because right now I have the Note 3 completely stock and unrooted.

You dont need to root your gear in order to run custom apps, depending on what type of app it is tho they may or may not work..

I would read up on side loading applications first, test the waters out.. the apps you require may work straight out of the box by simply side loading them to your gear with out rooting.

Alternatively if you find the apps dont work, you can try loading my rom which includes a few library's, unlocked features & other various functions that some apps require in order to run correctly.

EDIT: Here is a simple guide on how to sideload applications: HERE

HELPFUL POST? HIT THANKS !

OR BETTER YET

BUY ME A BEER OR TWO ?

GTA V FORUM :: MODS, GLITCHES & BOOSTING SERVICES

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fOmey For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

chuko303
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by fOmey View Post
You dont need to root your gear in order to run custom apps, depending on what type of app it is tho they may or may not work..

I would read up on side loading applications first, test the waters out.. the apps you require may work straight out of the box by simply side loading them to your gear with out rooting.

Alternatively if you find the apps dont work, you can try loading my rom which includes a few library's, unlocked features & other various functions that some apps require in order to run correctly.

EDIT: Here is a simple guide on how to sideload applications: HERE
Thank you bro! Very helpful

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Markor13
Old
(Last edited by Markor13; 18th January 2014 at 04:30 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 78
Awesome thank you! I'll have to read up on how you sideload apps. I saw a YouTube video where guy was actually playing ingress on his watch, what was on his phone screen transferred to watch screen same for his car alarm app, he just didn't say if it was rooted or not I just figured it was lol. Sorry had to edit my post. I do think you probably needs to be rooted to run something like ingress since it's an online game and the gear can't run anything online like a game or Facebook so I guess maybe that's why it has to be rooted and use a Bluetooth transfer lol I'm a very big newbie when it comes to the gear.

chuko303
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markor13 View Post
Awesome thank you! I'll have to read up on how you sideload apps. I saw a YouTube video where guy was actually playing ingress on his watch, what was on his phone screen transferred to watch screen same for his car alarm app, he just didn't say if it was rooted or not I just figured it was lol. Sorry had to edit my post. I do think you probably needs to be rooted to run something like ingress since it's an online game and the gear can't run anything online like a game or Facebook so I guess maybe that's why it has to be rooted and use a Bluetooth transfer lol I'm a very big newbie when it comes to the gear.

Tell me about it dude lol

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

stokedcrf
Old
Thanks Meter 19
Bluetooth tethering is the easiest way. If you root your watch you can actually install play store and download as if it's a tablet tethered. Some apps may need to be wifi spoofed with is a xposed module included in null.

Keep in mind your phone needs to be running an international rom. I had to get rid of my T-Mobile rom for an international to enable Bluetooth tethering. Wasn't the watch holding me back, rather the phone itself

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Did I say something even SOMEWHAT useful? Thank me!

Markor13
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by stokedcrf View Post
Bluetooth tethering is the easiest way. If you root your watch you can actually install play store and download as if it's a tablet tethered. Some apps may need to be wifi spoofed with is a xposed module included in null.

Keep in mind your phone needs to be running an international rom. I had to get rid of my T-Mobile rom for an international to enable Bluetooth tethering. Wasn't the watch holding me back, rather the phone itself

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Damn thanks for telling me about the rom!