Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,274 Members 45,971 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Rooting my gear tonight... Question

Tip us?
 
Markor13
Old
#1  
Markor13's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 78
Posts: 373
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Las Vegas
Default Rooting my gear tonight... Question

I was told if I root my gear I can use bluetooth tether and essentially run apps on my gear. The apps I'm looking to run are for my car alarm and ingress. So what I was wondering is what I was told true? And do I just have to root my gear or does my phone have to be rooted as well? Because right now I have the Note 3 completely stock and unrooted.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
 
fOmey
Old
#2  
fOmey's Avatar
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 3898
Posts: 3,149
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sydney, AUS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markor13 View Post
I was told if I root my gear I can use bluetooth tether and essentially run apps on my gear. The apps I'm looking to run are for my car alarm and ingress. So what I was wondering is what I was told true? And do I just have to root my gear or does my phone have to be rooted as well? Because right now I have the Note 3 completely stock and unrooted.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
You dont need to root your gear in order to run custom apps, depending on what type of app it is tho they may or may not work..

I would read up on side loading applications first, test the waters out.. the apps you require may work straight out of the box by simply side loading them to your gear with out rooting.



Alternatively if you find the apps dont work, you can try loading my rom which includes a few library's, unlocked features & other various functions that some apps require in order to run correctly.


EDIT: Here is a simple guide on how to sideload applications: HERE



HELPFUL POST? HIT THANKS !

OR BETTER YET

BUY ME A BEER OR TWO ?


GTA V FORUM :: MODS, GLITCHES & BOOSTING SERVICES

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fOmey For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
chuko303
Old
#3  
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 399
Posts: 2,126
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by fOmey View Post
You dont need to root your gear in order to run custom apps, depending on what type of app it is tho they may or may not work..

I would read up on side loading applications first, test the waters out.. the apps you require may work straight out of the box by simply side loading them to your gear with out rooting.



Alternatively if you find the apps dont work, you can try loading my rom which includes a few library's, unlocked features & other various functions that some apps require in order to run correctly.


EDIT: Here is a simple guide on how to sideload applications: HERE
Thank you bro! Very helpful

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
 
Markor13
Old
(Last edited by Markor13; 18th January 2014 at 04:30 AM.)
#4  
Markor13's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 78
Posts: 373
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Las Vegas
Awesome thank you! I'll have to read up on how you sideload apps. I saw a YouTube video where guy was actually playing ingress on his watch, what was on his phone screen transferred to watch screen same for his car alarm app, he just didn't say if it was rooted or not I just figured it was lol. Sorry had to edit my post. I do think you probably needs to be rooted to run something like ingress since it's an online game and the gear can't run anything online like a game or Facebook so I guess maybe that's why it has to be rooted and use a Bluetooth transfer lol I'm a very big newbie when it comes to the gear.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
 
chuko303
Old
#5  
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 399
Posts: 2,126
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markor13 View Post
Awesome thank you! I'll have to read up on how you sideload apps. I saw a YouTube video where guy was actually playing ingress on his watch, what was on his phone screen transferred to watch screen same for his car alarm app, he just didn't say if it was rooted or not I just figured it was lol. Sorry had to edit my post. I do think you probably needs to be rooted to run something like ingress since it's an online game and the gear can't run anything online like a game or Facebook so I guess maybe that's why it has to be rooted and use a Bluetooth transfer lol I'm a very big newbie when it comes to the gear.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Tell me about it dude lol

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
 
stokedcrf
Old
#6  
Member
Thanks Meter 19
Posts: 82
Join Date: Nov 2013
Bluetooth tethering is the easiest way. If you root your watch you can actually install play store and download as if it's a tablet tethered. Some apps may need to be wifi spoofed with is a xposed module included in null.

Keep in mind your phone needs to be running an international rom. I had to get rid of my T-Mobile rom for an international to enable Bluetooth tethering. Wasn't the watch holding me back, rather the phone itself

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Did I say something even SOMEWHAT useful? Thank me!
 
Markor13
Old
#7  
Markor13's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 78
Posts: 373
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Las Vegas
Quote:
Originally Posted by stokedcrf View Post
Bluetooth tethering is the easiest way. If you root your watch you can actually install play store and download as if it's a tablet tethered. Some apps may need to be wifi spoofed with is a xposed module included in null.

Keep in mind your phone needs to be running an international rom. I had to get rid of my T-Mobile rom for an international to enable Bluetooth tethering. Wasn't the watch holding me back, rather the phone itself

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Damn thanks for telling me about the rom!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


XDA PORTAL POSTS

Get Your Cargo to its Destination in 4×4 Military Operations Reborn

Racing games have evolved quite a bit since the days of Pole … more

Automate Your Device with Sfen

Changing the profile of yourdevice manually is now long forgotten. Since the advent of Android automation … more

Galaxy Photo Screen Lock Displays a Photo Slideshow on Your Lock Screen

Being the most often looked at part of our devices UI, the lock … more

Boost the LG G3 Speaker and Headphone Volume

It seems like OEMs are stepping up their game, with regards to thequality of their devices sound … more