Early Lollipop Ports for Micromax A116 and A117

It feels like it was only yesterday when Google announced the mysterious Android L.After … more

Now Gesture Tweaks Replaces Google Now with Custom Action

On most modern Android devices with software navigation keys, swiping up from the … more

ToqAN Fixes Android 5.0 Notification Bug on Qualcomm Toq

The Qualcomm Toq is probably one of the lesser known smartwatches on the market … more

How to Root and Unlock the Google Nexus 6 on a Mac – XDA TV

In the past, XDA Developer TV Producer droidmodd3rx has shown you how to … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Rooting my gear tonight... Question

OP Markor13

18th January 2014, 01:20 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Las Vegas
Thanks Meter: 78

373 posts
More
I was told if I root my gear I can use bluetooth tether and essentially run apps on my gear. The apps I'm looking to run are for my car alarm and ingress. So what I was wondering is what I was told true? And do I just have to root my gear or does my phone have to be rooted as well? Because right now I have the Note 3 completely stock and unrooted.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
18th January 2014, 01:47 AM   |  #2  
Recognized Developer
Flag Sydney, AUS
Thanks Meter: 3,951

3,153 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markor13

I was told if I root my gear I can use bluetooth tether and essentially run apps on my gear. The apps I'm looking to run are for my car alarm and ingress. So what I was wondering is what I was told true? And do I just have to root my gear or does my phone have to be rooted as well? Because right now I have the Note 3 completely stock and unrooted.

You dont need to root your gear in order to run custom apps, depending on what type of app it is tho they may or may not work..

I would read up on side loading applications first, test the waters out.. the apps you require may work straight out of the box by simply side loading them to your gear with out rooting.

Alternatively if you find the apps dont work, you can try loading my rom which includes a few library's, unlocked features & other various functions that some apps require in order to run correctly.

EDIT: Here is a simple guide on how to sideload applications: HERE
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fOmey For This Useful Post: [ View ]
18th January 2014, 02:06 AM   |  #3  
Account currently disabled
Flag colorado
Thanks Meter: 399

2,126 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fOmey

You dont need to root your gear in order to run custom apps, depending on what type of app it is tho they may or may not work..

I would read up on side loading applications first, test the waters out.. the apps you require may work straight out of the box by simply side loading them to your gear with out rooting.

Alternatively if you find the apps dont work, you can try loading my rom which includes a few library's, unlocked features & other various functions that some apps require in order to run correctly.

EDIT: Here is a simple guide on how to sideload applications: HERE

Thank you bro! Very helpful

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
18th January 2014, 05:25 AM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Las Vegas

373 posts
More
Awesome thank you! I'll have to read up on how you sideload apps. I saw a YouTube video where guy was actually playing ingress on his watch, what was on his phone screen transferred to watch screen same for his car alarm app, he just didn't say if it was rooted or not I just figured it was lol. Sorry had to edit my post. I do think you probably needs to be rooted to run something like ingress since it's an online game and the gear can't run anything online like a game or Facebook so I guess maybe that's why it has to be rooted and use a Bluetooth transfer lol I'm a very big newbie when it comes to the gear.

Last edited by Markor13; 18th January 2014 at 05:30 AM.
18th January 2014, 11:50 PM   |  #5  
Account currently disabled
Flag colorado
Thanks Meter: 399

2,126 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markor13

Awesome thank you! I'll have to read up on how you sideload apps. I saw a YouTube video where guy was actually playing ingress on his watch, what was on his phone screen transferred to watch screen same for his car alarm app, he just didn't say if it was rooted or not I just figured it was lol. Sorry had to edit my post. I do think you probably needs to be rooted to run something like ingress since it's an online game and the gear can't run anything online like a game or Facebook so I guess maybe that's why it has to be rooted and use a Bluetooth transfer lol I'm a very big newbie when it comes to the gear.

Tell me about it dude lol

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
19th January 2014, 08:18 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 19

83 posts
Bluetooth tethering is the easiest way. If you root your watch you can actually install play store and download as if it's a tablet tethered. Some apps may need to be wifi spoofed with is a xposed module included in null.

Keep in mind your phone needs to be running an international rom. I had to get rid of my T-Mobile rom for an international to enable Bluetooth tethering. Wasn't the watch holding me back, rather the phone itself

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
19th January 2014, 08:49 AM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Las Vegas

373 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by stokedcrf

Bluetooth tethering is the easiest way. If you root your watch you can actually install play store and download as if it's a tablet tethered. Some apps may need to be wifi spoofed with is a xposed module included in null.

Keep in mind your phone needs to be running an international rom. I had to get rid of my T-Mobile rom for an international to enable Bluetooth tethering. Wasn't the watch holding me back, rather the phone itself

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Damn thanks for telling me about the rom!

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread