Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,412 Members 45,444 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Charger that won't strain USB port

Tip us?

Ghengis042
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Battery Full Charger that won't strain USB port

What's a good charger to connect to the One without putting stress on the USB port?

It might be a silly question, but I have a Samsung GS2 right now with a totally broken USB port from very frequent connection/disconnection of the charger. It *probably* won't happen on my replacement phone, but just to be on the safe side I was looking for either wireless charging or a dock of some sort, for my next device.

A lot of phones are starting to support Qi charging out of the box, but I know that can't be done on the One thanks to the metal housing. The Xperia Z series has a nice solution with (waterproof!) external contact pads that attach to a magnetic cable or desktop dock.

Does anybody make something like this for the One? Even if it has to connect through USB (and it sounds like it does...) a good dock would make sure the USB plug connects squarely to the socket and would minimize any lateral stress on the port.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ghengis042 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

cannonofcourse
Old
Thanks Meter 31
Great point, I've always came close to ruining my port and ended up melting an old one (on purpose) so that it was almost a fish hook going into the port with the cable going around the back.

The only thing the iPhone got right. The charge plug that snaps in good.

HTC ONE 32gb M7
S-off, Rooted up, Unlocked, Tampered like he'll...
Running Maximus HD 30.0
4.4 KitKat Sense 5.5
No S4 UI Bubbles & Smiley Faces Here...
The Following User Says Thank You to cannonofcourse For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
charger, dock