Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,261 Members 37,824 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Root JB 4.3 without voiding warranty

Tip us?

xdapowerapps
Old
Thanks Meter 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlichtefeld View Post
Just did this to my T-Mobile SGS4. It worked just as described. The Knox counter wasn't tripped, but Custom is indicated on the Download screen (Vol Down+Home+Power).

Here's what my Download screen now says:

ODIN MODE
PRODUCT NAME: SGH-M919
CURRENT BINARY: Samsung Official
SYSTEM STATUS: Custom
KNOX KERNEL LOCK: 0x0
KNOX WARRANTY VOID: 0x0
CSB-CONFIG-LSB: 0x30
WRITE PROTECTION: Enable
eMMC BURST MODE: enabled

Thanks for the link to the other thread.

Now I can use Titanium Backup, Greenify, ADB - rooted, esFile Explorer - rooted. Not needing a Custom Rom or Custom Recovery yet. And, to get it back to un-rooted, there are instructions in the other thread about that.

Rob
Just remember, you won't be able to make full nandroid backups (give Online Nandroid Manager a shot if you want to try).

< - - - - - Please hit the button if I helped.

Unlocked TMO SGS4, SGH-M919, WarpDrive KK 4.4.2, Ktoonsez Kernel, PhilZ Touch Recovery.

HUGE THANKS TO rovo89 FOR HIS XPOSED FRAMEWORK. List of Xposed Modules
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xdapowerapps For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rlichtefeld
Old
Thanks Meter 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdapowerapps View Post
Just remember, you won't be able to make full nandroid backups (give Online Nandroid Manager a shot if you want to try).
IFAIK, until I plan to flash a custom ROM I shouldn't need a full Nandroid. I can always flash a stock ROM, and between the Google Backup/Restore and TiB, I should get almost everything back. Music/Video, etc are all on the MicroSD.

Unless I'm sadly mistaken. This is my first foray into messing with the SGS4. I was very active flashing on my HTC HD2, starting with various builds for WM6.5, and then moving on to SD builds of Android and then NativeSD with cLK, etc. I was running Tytung's KitKat until I got this phone in December. I work for a small company and the SGS4 was my Christmas Bonus. The HD2 was just too long in tooth to keep up with all the advances in Android. But, since you could flash everything - radios, bootloaders, recoveries, builds, etc., I could change out/update my version of Android almost daily.

Rob
Current Device: Samsung Galaxy S4 (US T-Mobile SGH-M919)
Current Baseband: M919UVUFNB4
Current ROM: Stock 4.4.2 KOT49H.M919UVUFNB4
Rooted: [SGH-M919] CF-Auto-Root Knox counter tripped!
WiFi Tether Fix: Quick and Dirty: Enable Tether.

Previous Device: HTC HD2 (US - T-Mobile)
Radio: 2.15.50.14
Bootloader: 4EXTRecovery
Android Launcher: Exceller Multi Booth Launcher
ROM:
NexusHD2-JellyBean-4.2.2-CM10.1 V2.1 NativeSD

xdapowerapps
Old
Thanks Meter 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlichtefeld View Post
IFAIK, until I plan to flash a custom ROM I shouldn't need a full Nandroid. I can always flash a stock ROM, and between the Google Backup/Restore and TiB, I should get almost everything back. Music/Video, etc are all on the MicroSD.

Unless I'm sadly mistaken. This is my first foray into messing with the SGS4. I was very active flashing on my HTC HD2, starting with various builds for WM6.5, and then moving on to SD builds of Android and then NativeSD with cLK, etc. I was running Tytung's KitKat until I got this phone in December. I work for a small company and the SGS4 was my Christmas Bonus. The HD2 was just too long in tooth to keep up with all the advances in Android. But, since you could flash everything - radios, bootloaders, recoveries, builds, etc., I could change out/update my version of Android almost daily.

Rob
The beauty of a nandroid backup is that it takes a snapshot of your phone as it stands. Within five to eight minutes, you can restore your phone as it stood before it messed up. No re-downloading apps, changing settings, replacing system apps (i.e., installing Note 3 My Files and Gallery), etc. It saves the hassles of slow TiB/Helium restoration, especially if you have hundreds of apps. Sure, you can start fresh and manually restore things, but having it done within eight minutes without lifting a finger is extremely nice to have in your arsenal. Has come in handy several times for me since I test ROMs very frequently.

Congrats on your bonus, a very nice bonus indeed. It is a great phone. I was thinking about switching to a Note 3 or waiting for the S5 but this phone is perfect for my hands. Note 3 with an Otterbox Defender case is too big for my taste and the S5 is still a ways off. Plus, the development for this phone has far exceeded my expectations so I'm a happy camper for now.

Unlocked TMO SGS4, SGH-M919, WarpDrive KK 4.4.2, Ktoonsez Kernel, PhilZ Touch Recovery.

Brooklynzson
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdapowerapps View Post
No, this will only root your phone (give your apps su/superuser access). You will still need to flash a custom recovery (i.e., PhilZ, TWRP, CWM) to flash roms like a custom Vanilla ROM. If you are on 4.2.2 bootloader, you can simply flash a custom recovery and flash the ROM. If you are on 4.3, you will be on the KNOX bootloader and if you flash a custom recovery to flash the ROM, you will void your KNOX warranty. If you don't care about the warranty or has expired, there is no difference.

1) Download Vanilla Rom,
2) Flash custom recovery tar (i.e., PhilZ, TWRP, CWM).
3) Go into recovery and flash rom.
4) ????
5) ??
6) Profit.
What method did you use to install a custom recovery? I saw this in the thread:

Quote:
Important - please read
If you fail to read this, you will be taunted.

1. You can't install custom recovery and custom ROMs using this technique. See Safestrap for a way to install some custom ROMs.
2. Resetting the "Custom" and open padlock indication during boot can be worked around using the Xposed Framwork and Wanam Xposed. Get those two from the Play Store.
In Wanam, tick "Security Hacks", "Fake System Status".
Did you use the safestrap like he suggested? I just got a replacement from t-mobile, i can't be stuck on tw lol.

Bandaid_nyc
Old
Thanks Meter 9
root is still better then no root lol thank you for the info.

Xx_Joe_Wireless_xX
Old
Thanks Meter 0
This is all great info, on rooting 4.3....

but how do you UNROOT ?

xdapowerapps
Old
Thanks Meter 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx_Joe_Wireless_xX View Post
This is all great info, on rooting 4.3....

but how do you UNROOT ?
Go into SuperSU, then click permanent cleanup.

The Following User Says Thank You to xdapowerapps For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

scooter247
Old
Thanks Meter 56
You have to make sure busy box is removed as well, or system will show custom

Sent from my SGH-M919 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

KRAZYADROIDMASTER
Old
Thanks Meter 79
Is there a way to get back to the stock rom???

Sent from my SGH-M919 using xda app-developers app
LG LGP999 G2X DARK ALE
MADE IN: KOREA
MANUFACTURE DATE 04/19/2011

STOCK

SANDISK: 4 GB CLASS 4 MICRO SD CARD.

rlichtefeld
Old
Thanks Meter 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAZYADROIDMASTER View Post
Is there a way to get back to the stock rom???

Sent from my SGH-M919 using xda app-developers app
If the only mod you did was to follow the instructions in this thread, then you aren't changing the ROM, you are only giving yourself Root privileges.

To Unroot, go to the thread in the original post, and look at the second message in that thread.

Here's the link to that exact message:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...24&postcount=2

You will be
1) removing BusyBox
2) Using SuperSU to "Full Unroot"

If you've done more than was laid out in the original message in that thread, then you will probably need to
3) Remove any Custom Recovery
4) Flash an original ROM

There are several threads discussing getting back to a Stock ROM.

Rob
Current Device: Samsung Galaxy S4 (US T-Mobile SGH-M919)
Current Baseband: M919UVUFNB4
Current ROM: Stock 4.4.2 KOT49H.M919UVUFNB4
Rooted: [SGH-M919] CF-Auto-Root Knox counter tripped!
WiFi Tether Fix: Quick and Dirty: Enable Tether.

Previous Device: HTC HD2 (US - T-Mobile)
Radio: 2.15.50.14
Bootloader: 4EXTRecovery
Android Launcher: Exceller Multi Booth Launcher
ROM:
NexusHD2-JellyBean-4.2.2-CM10.1 V2.1 NativeSD

The Following User Says Thank You to rlichtefeld For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]