XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Where have all the cowboys gone?

Tip us?

BarryH_GEG
Old
Thanks Meter 4,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsquabbles View Post
didn't really let that settle in that it's not their personal device that's being tampered with, but a company owned device. in that case easy detection of a breach sure is a plus.
Quite a few (if not the majority) of large companies now have "bring your own device" (BYOD) policies. That means that employees can provide their own devices which the company loads their s/w on, usually in a discreet partition. So there's a "fun" side of the device and a "business" side. The network security and things the company needs to protect exist on the business side. No employee wants to carry a work and personal device that do the exact same thing. Advances in device security (with or without KNOX) mean they don't have to.

One of the biggest challenges for IT is ensuring that, because Android's so easy to hack, that technically adept staff don't screw around with their devices for personal benefit (tinkering and customization) and potentially expose the corporate network and/or content in the process. KNOX is gaining IT department fans because of a h/w tamper detector and the preloaded "work" and "play" partitions starting with 4.3.

For people that don't connect to secure and/or highly managed networks none of this means squat. But for those that do the world's changed pretty fast in terms of what you can and can't do to your device.

MasterZoen
Old
(Last edited by MasterZoen; 19th January 2014 at 04:57 PM.)
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryH_GEG View Post
People hesitating because of KNOX fall in to two categories - 1) tech dabblers that lightly played with their devices because there were no consequences, and 2) people who connect to highly managed networks that read the KNOX flag and if its tripped refuse access. I'm in the latter category. I connect to multiple secured networks and in the past would root my device, make it my own, and then unroot it. If I trip the KNOX flag on my N10.1-14 and N3 they are basically paper weights unless I pay (out of warranty) to get the motherboards replaced. So the consequences of the KNOX flag won't deter tech demons it's the other categories that are now a bit gun shy (risk<>reward).
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryH_GEG View Post
Quite a few (if not the majority) of large companies now have "bring your own device" (BYOD) policies. That means that employees can provide their own devices which the company loads their s/w on, usually in a discreet partition. So there's a "fun" side of the device and a "business" side. The network security and things the company needs to protect exist on the business side. No employee wants to carry a work and personal device that do the exact same thing. Advances in device security (with or without KNOX) mean they don't have to.

One of the biggest challenges for IT is ensuring that, because Android's so easy to hack, that technically adept staff don't screw around with their devices for personal benefit (tinkering and customization) and potentially expose the corporate network and/or content in the process. KNOX is gaining IT department fans because of a h/w tamper detector and the preloaded "work" and "play" partitions starting with 4.3.

For people that don't connect to secure and/or highly managed networks none of this means squat. But for those that do the world's changed pretty fast in terms of what you can and can't do to your device.
KNOX trips so easily it's not even funny. My IT has found more than 30 different apps that apparently trip KNOX in our network when not a single device is tampered with. One of them is Evernote!?

BarryH_GEG
Old
Thanks Meter 4,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterZoen View Post
KNOX trips so easily it's not even funny. My IT has found more than 30 different apps that apparently trip KNOX in our network. One of them is Evernote!?
The only known issue with KNOX (the actual eFuse flag) tripping that I've heard from IT that's collectively responsible for over 200K mobile devices is that an emergency s/w recovery via Kies does trip it. Samsung's obviously working on it and it may already be corrected because there's been a bunch of recent Kies3 updates. They've replaced the motherboards for free where its happened. One of the company's I connect to uses Evernote for collaboration and I have it on my N3 and N10.1-14. My KNOX status is fine.