Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,099 Members 45,545 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] At the end of my rope.

Tip us?
 
SlimSnoopOS
Old
(Last edited by SlimSnoopOS; 18th January 2014 at 04:52 PM.)
#21  
SlimSnoopOS's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1912
Posts: 5,409
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Always_Jonezen View Post
I did brick on 4.1.2 and I am using chrome as my default browser
Oh! Well, that makes a lot more sense. You'll need to do the Linux steps to get this working. Spyrodazee's thread has two methods. He needs to be clearer about when you would use which step, I'll make sure to inform him of this. The first will only find the debrick.bin for the 4.3 OTA. Pre-4.3 needs the Linux method which involves command line. His Linux steps are based on this Sprint thread, both state the exact thing just with Sprint img.

Since you have the Verizon S3 debrick img, just follow everything in Spyrodazee's post involving Linux. You'll need either a full blown Linux distro or Linux live cd which you would use to temporarily run Linux distro and do these commands. It may not work after multiple attempts btw. You have to tell us (xda) everything about your situation before I can help. I was assuming you were on 4.3 as well.

Edit #2: Here is a 4.1.2 debrick video walkthrough from one of our very own members as well, nconfer13: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dU5H...w-jsXwToLhhrKA
[VZW] Samsung Galaxy SIII
[last device]
Droid Incroyable
The Following User Says Thank You to SlimSnoopOS For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Always_Jonezen
Old
(Last edited by Always_Jonezen; 18th January 2014 at 05:23 PM.) Reason: added more info
#22  
Always_Jonezen's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 29
Posts: 217
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimSnoopOS View Post
Oh! Well, that makes a lot more sense. You'll need to do the Linux steps to get this working. Spyrodazee's thread has two methods. He needs to be clearer about when you would use which step, I'll make sure to inform him of this. The first will only find the debrick.bin for the 4.3 OTA. Pre-4.3 needs the Linux method which involves command line. His Linux steps are based on this Sprint thread, both state the exact thing just with Sprint img.

Since you have the Verizon S3 debrick img, just follow everything in Spyrodazee's post involving Linux. You'll need either a full blown Linux distro or Linux live cd which you would use to temporarily run Linux distro and do these commands. It may not work after multiple attempts btw. You have to tell us (xda) everything about your situation before I can help. I was assuming you were on 4.3 as well.

Edit #2: Here is a 4.1.2 debrick video walkthrough from one of our very own members as well, nconfer13: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dU5H...w-jsXwToLhhrKA
Thanks that makes more sense I will give that a try. Sorry for the lack of info on my issue i had gave a full description in another thread I was on, my bad. The YouTube link is wrong but thanks.

---------- Post added at 12:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always_Jonezen View Post
Thanks that makes more sense I will give that a try. Sorry for the lack of info on my issue i had gave a full description in another thread I was on, my bad. The YouTube link is wrong but thanks.
do you by chance have a link to linux live cd for windows 7 32 bit
Hit the Thanks button if I have helped Always_Jonezen
 
SlimSnoopOS
Old
#23  
SlimSnoopOS's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1912
Posts: 5,409
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Always_Jonezen View Post
Thanks that makes more sense I will give that a try. Sorry for the lack of info on my issue i had gave a full description in another thread I was on, my bad. The YouTube link is wrong but thanks.

do you by chance have a link to linux live cd for windows 7 32 bit
I don't run Linux however I have seen someone recommend, in that Sprint thread, to run Ubuntu. Here's info on how to run it from a cd or USB.
[VZW] Samsung Galaxy SIII
[last device]
Droid Incroyable
 
TwistedPoet
Old
#24  
TwistedPoet's Avatar
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Posts: 38
Join Date: Jan 2014
Thanks to some great links, wonderful contributors and even some instant message chat, I have accomplished recovering my phone from hard brick and returning it to the OTA 4.3. I later put the device in boot mode and was denied access with a yellow triangle and some message about Verizon has detected software on my device that I shouldn't have (paraphrase) and it flipped my counter. Next, I put the device in download mode and had access to download mode, however there were extra lines at the top left of the screen, one of them was red and said something about warranty. (I don't exactly remember now and the pics i took with my webcam weren't of any descriptive help.

So that's where I am now. My next question is what can I tinker with? I'm experiencing unstable WI-fi connectivity and the are other things I wouldn't mind changing. I know that the OTA 4.3 is a pain and I fully expect to hear that I should just set my phone down and spend my time doing something else. . But, it never hurts to ask so here I am asking. Can those of us the chose to or accidentally were forced to take OTA 4.3 do anything within the confides of the 4.3 system to make it better, faster more compatible?

Thanks again to everyone and I ever so thankful to have run into you folks here and will be around more now that I know you all have gathered here.
 
SlimSnoopOS
Old
#25  
SlimSnoopOS's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1912
Posts: 5,409
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedPoet View Post
Thanks to some great links, wonderful contributors and even some instant message chat, I have accomplished recovering my phone from hard brick and returning it to the OTA 4.3. I later put the device in boot mode and was denied access with a yellow triangle and some message about Verizon has detected software on my device that I shouldn't have (paraphrase) and it flipped my counter. Next, I put the device in download mode and had access to download mode, however there were extra lines at the top left of the screen, one of them was red and said something about warranty. (I don't exactly remember now and the pics i took with my webcam weren't of any descriptive help.
You probably noticed these two lines in download mode:

Warranty bit: 0
Bootloader RP SWERV:

That's how I recognize whether a user is on TW 4.3 or TW 4.1.2.

Quote:
So that's where I am now. My next question is what can I tinker with? I'm experiencing unstable WI-fi connectivity and the are other things I wouldn't mind changing. I know that the OTA 4.3 is a pain and I fully expect to hear that I should just set my phone down and spend my time doing something else. . But, it never hurts to ask so here I am asking. Can those of us the chose to or accidentally were forced to take OTA 4.3 do anything within the confides of the 4.3 system to make it better, faster more compatible?

Thanks again to everyone and I ever so thankful to have run into you folks here and will be around more now that I know you all have gathered here.
You can use Saferoot to gain root access, SafeStrap to flash Custom TW 4.3 roms, OR if you prefer to stay stock then you can install Xposed and Wanam Xposed to tweak the stock 4.3 rom.
[VZW] Samsung Galaxy SIII
[last device]
Droid Incroyable
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes