Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,807,727 Members 52,079 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Which Chromecast to Buy (Rootable SN +Armada1000 vs nonRootable Armada1500

Tip us?
 
mathorv
Old
(Last edited by mathorv; 18th January 2014 at 09:39 PM.) Reason: added more info
#1  
mathorv's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 77
Posts: 153
Join Date: Jun 2011
Service Which Chromecast to Buy (Rootable SN +Armada1000 vs nonRootable Armada1500

I recently bought Chromecast SN:3916...(it is not shipped yed and i may choose )
Which hardware revision is it?
Asking because of i have also available 3916, 3917, 3918, 3B14, 3B15, 3B16, 3B17

Which should I pick to get Armada 1500(hw3.30)?
https://origin-www.marvell.com/digit...mini/index.jsp

Is root with hardware 3.10 worth more than better chip
http://www.marvell.com.cn/digital-en...da_1000_pb.pdf

According to wikidevi ""H840 REV 3.xx" is silkscreened on the board"
sources for more info on subject:
http://wikidevi.com/wiki/Google_Chro...%28H2G2-42%29]
http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Chrom...Teardown/16069

Clues:
ifixit teardown: SN:3607101ZYGMS HW:3.30
http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Chrom...Teardown/16069

anadtech teardown: SN:3626101ZXFCA HW:3.10(pcb looks like from FCC pictures)
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7186/g...35-hdmi-dongle
 
ddggttff3
Old
#2  
ddggttff3's Avatar
Recognized Contributor / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 1,031
Posts: 715
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathorv View Post
I recently bought Chromecast SN:3916...(it is not shipped yed and i may choose )
Which hardware revision is it?
Asking because of i have also available 3916, 3917, 3918, 3B14,3B15,3B16,3B17

Which should I pick to get Armada 1500(hw3.30)?
https://origin-www.marvell.com/digit...mini/index.jsp

Is root with hardware 3.10 worth more than better chip
http://www.marvell.com.cn/digital-en...da_1000_pb.pdf

According to wikidevi ""H840 REV 3.xx" is silkscreened on the board"
sources for more info on subject:
http://wikidevi.com/wiki/Google_Chro...%28H2G2-42%29]
http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Chrom...Teardown/16069
I have a chromecast here with serial 36** and it has REV 3.30 printed on the board. All chromecasts should be Rev 3.30, anything earlier was a test or prototype device from my understanding.
Devices:
OnePlus One
Nexus 7 2013
Samsung Note 10.1
Too Many Chromecasts

Retired/Sold/Dead:
Nexus 5, Nexus Q, GS3, Droid Bionic, N7 2012, Droid X, HTC Vogue
The Following User Says Thank You to ddggttff3 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
bhiga
Old
#3  
bhiga's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 847
Posts: 2,191
Join Date: Oct 2010

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddggttff3 View Post
I have a chromecast here with serial 36** and it has REV 3.30 printed on the board. All chromecasts should be Rev 3.30, anything earlier was a test or prototype device from my understanding.
Another thing to consider, since Chromecast is an appliance type device, even if for whatever reason the next batch started shipping with a SoC platform that was 3x faster, end-users wouldn't see much difference, if any.

It's unlikely Google and the other providers would start making different content available to Chromecasts based on their hardware revision. It would be a support catastrophe for everyone and settings a "you might more if you wait" precedent will kill sales momentum.
Consistency of operation and functionality is the key goal across any hardware revision within the same model. Sometimes that even means underclocking a chip that could perform faster, if for some reason an old chip is replaced with a faster one.

tl;dr: I really wouldn't worry too much about the platform specifics on board revisions unless you're really planning to "dig deep" and do something drastic like heavily modify the OS.
Chromecast threads: FAQ - READ THIS FIRST! / Rootable Serial Numbers | Root Mini-FAQ | FlashCast flashing Mini-FAQ
BYO powered OTG cable | WiFi Bandwidth and Router considerations | Not all 1080p/720p is same
Search Tip: Google search terms site:forum.xda-developers.com for only XDA forum results. Example
Follow the rules / Use 'Search' before posting / Post in the correct sections / Do not spam the board / Press thanks, don't post 'Thanks'
The Following User Says Thank You to bhiga For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Asphyx
Old
#4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 294
Posts: 1,771
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhiga View Post
Another thing to consider, since Chromecast is an appliance type device, even if for whatever reason the next batch started shipping with a SoC platform that was 3x faster, end-users wouldn't see much difference, if any.

It's unlikely Google and the other providers would start making different content available to Chromecasts based on their hardware revision. It would be a support catastrophe for everyone and settings a "you might more if you wait" precedent will kill sales momentum.
.
Yes but one of the links he posted points to a newer more powerful chipset meant to support 1080P better.
To support those extra features may not actually be too difficult if they just add some code to the Player App that detects highest resolution of the unit when it makes the request.

It wouldn't affect the DIAL protocol at all which is really the sell point here...
Google and Netflix are trying to sell the standard and the device is secondary to that goal. They just needed one device to support it and now they would have zero issues with other OEMs making devices that were DIAL compliant

Better Surround capabilities, Better and Higher resolutions even better net connection capabilities (Full Dual Band N) I can see coming from OEMs in the future, now that may not translate to higher quality NetFlix support but it sure would make the device a lot better on the local streaming side which is good but not great and suggests thats why local took longer to get supported than the others.

I expect to see a lot of devices like Roku and others implement some sort of DIAL support.
And while it may eventually cut into Chromecast sales if the Protocol is widely adopted Google and Netflix will feel like Mission Accomplished.

What we may see is something along the lines of Chromecast Nexus where some 3rd Party makes the hardware and slaps Google's name on it!
 
bhiga
Old
#5  
bhiga's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 847
Posts: 2,191
Join Date: Oct 2010

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphyx View Post
Yes but one of the links he posted points to a newer more powerful chipset meant to support 1080P better.
To support those extra features may not actually be too difficult if they just add some code to the Player App that detects highest resolution of the unit when it makes the request.

It wouldn't affect the DIAL protocol at all which is really the sell point here...
Yes, but it's a poor customer experience when you buy a Acme 9000 and your friend buys an Acme 9000, but your friend's 9000 has a 300-yard range while yours only has a 200-yard range in the same field under the same conditions.

You're right that Google and Netflix are selling the DIAL platform, but the consumer couldn't care less what the platform is, especially for an appliance-type device. They just care that it works, not whether it runs Linux, Windows Embedded, CentOS, or MS-DOS 6.22 It's not a phone or a computer. Nobody asks what OS Smart TVs run - or maybe they do but nobody admits it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphyx View Post
I expect to see a lot of devices like Roku and others implement some sort of DIAL support.
And while it may eventually cut into Chromecast sales if the Protocol is widely adopted Google and Netflix will feel like Mission Accomplished.

What we may see is something along the lines of Chromecast Nexus where some 3rd Party makes the hardware and slaps Google's name on it!
Exactly - TVs and other devices supporting Google Cast, it's already starting. That's why Google's site mentions "Cast devices" and "Cast SDK" most of the time, mentioning Chromecast only when specifically referring to the Chromecast in particular.

True platform convergence for the multimedia convergence that finally arrived - that would be something!
Chromecast threads: FAQ - READ THIS FIRST! / Rootable Serial Numbers | Root Mini-FAQ | FlashCast flashing Mini-FAQ
BYO powered OTG cable | WiFi Bandwidth and Router considerations | Not all 1080p/720p is same
Search Tip: Google search terms site:forum.xda-developers.com for only XDA forum results. Example
Follow the rules / Use 'Search' before posting / Post in the correct sections / Do not spam the board / Press thanks, don't post 'Thanks'
 
Asphyx
Old
#6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 294
Posts: 1,771
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhiga View Post
Yes, but it's a poor customer experience when you buy a Acme 9000 and your friend buys an Acme 9000, but your friend's 9000 has a 300-yard range while yours only has a 200-yard range in the same field under the same conditions.
I get what your saying and your right, but Google essentially just did this with the Nexus 7 tablet didn't they? LOL
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Android App Review: Control Your Phone with Quick Control Panel – XDA Developer TV

Your Android smart device has many features that you … more

Play Music on Android Wear with Stellio Music Player

Android Wear smartwatchesare growing inpopularity every day. Some devices have already … more

Schedule is up for xda:devcon ’14

With xda:devcon ’14 just around the corner, and the venue close to selling out, there is a lot … more

aLogcat Returns Thanks to XDA Love

The developers of Android, that is Google, gave users several great debugging tools that can be used in … more