[Q] Trying to get i9505 AWS/HSPA+ working (Wind, Mobilicity, etc.)
I have an i9505 (S4 international version) that I've been trying to get to work on Wind Mobile here in Canada with no luck so far. I know that the issue is that the i9505 doesn't support HSPA+ on AWS frequencies out of the box. But I also understand that the M919 version that T-Mobile sells does support HSPA+ on AWS, and has the same hardware specifications as the i9505.
I thought I would post my results to share with others trying to do the same thing and to see if anyone can think of anything else.
- As far as I can tell, it's not an issue of sim-locking, rooting, or ROMs. I have focused on trying to find a proper baseband.
- There are many threads and videos out there on getting the i9505 to work on T-Mobile's LTE on AWS. This is a different problem than trying to get the i9505 to run HSPA+ (which Wind and Mobilicity use) on AWS.
- This user
claims to have HSPA+ working on an i9505 on T-Mobile's US-based network (which I think is AWS-based). He reports using:
Bootloader: XXUBMGA (knox-free)
Build: Omega v13 - XXUEMJ5
CSC: XAEMMJ5 (BTU) [UK]
- I tried ODIN flashing an M919 baseband (UVUAMDL
) but couldn't complete the flash (this didn't cause any irreparable harm, you can reflash an i9505 baseband after)
- I flashed the XXUEMJ5 (i9505 version) baseband and no luck
- I've tried various international i9505 Android 4.2.2 and 4.3 ROMs and that hasn't seemed to make a difference either. I'm currently using the official Samsung XXUEMJ9 ROM for i9505, which is 4.3 based.
- How relevant are the CSC and kernel?
- Any other ideas? I'm kind of at a dead end.