Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,073 Members 40,923 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Swapping Motherboard

Tip us?

GnatGoSplat
Old
Thanks Meter 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherVT View Post
Thanks for the explanation. If I end up selling I'll let you know. Do you think the antenna can be reattached and become fully functional again?
Hard to say, but in my opinion, the answer is YES. I don't think you'll have any chance of finding the broken trace, I sure can't see it in that photo and I'm guessing it's not visible. However, I bet one of those tiny components near where it used to be was directly connected to it. You would need either a wiring diagram or trace an undamaged motherboard with the ohms setting of a multimeter to see if any of those components were directly connected to the terminal. You could then probably reform that gold terminal with tweezers, and solder a very, very tiny wire between the solder end of the appropriate component and that terminal and use a good strong epoxy to glue the terminal back down to the board in its correct location. You'd need a really good pencil-tip soldering iron, really steady hands, and good soldering skills to do that kind of micro-soldering.

I'm thinking to part out the RAZR M that I bricked over the weekend. If you're interested, I can test my board to see if any of those nearby components have continuity to the terminal.

GnatGoSplat
Old
Thanks Meter 122
Not sure if you're still wanting to fix it, but I pulled my bricked RAZR M apart today and saw this is a pretty easy fix.
That terminal connects directly to the lower of the 2 black SMD components. In fact, I didn't notice before, but in your pic there is still some visible trace connected to it. Should be pretty simple to epoxy the terminal back onto the board and solder a short piece of wire onto the remainder of the trace.
The Following User Says Thank You to GnatGoSplat For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

PantherVT
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
I do want to fix it and will be giving it a try! I'll post the results
Devices:
Razr M XT907 - CM 11 Nightlies
Kindle Fire - SlimKat (unoffical) for the OtterX
Droid 2 Global - Liquid ICS
LG Ally - Velocity V1.2.2

Germanese
Old
Thanks Meter 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherVT View Post
I do want to fix it and will be giving it a try! I'll post the results
Good Luck.

I made a Mobo Transplant also once.
Got a Broken LCD phone which was damaged before the OTA (that locks our BL)

And took that and swapped it into mines =)
Now i have a good Phone with a Unlocked BL

And sold my old one back out for same price =) Win Win for me.
Motorola RAZR M XT907 VZW w/ unlocked BL | US T-Mobile & O2 | 4.4.2 GPE
LG G2 VS980 VZW w/ LOKI | US T-Mobile & O2 | 4.2.2 Stock T-Mobile LG G2 Rom