Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,283 Members 38,189 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Fastboot boot openrecovery hung my phone. Any hope?

Tip us?
 
Teefee
Old
(Last edited by Teefee; 19th January 2014 at 05:27 PM.)
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 3
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default [Q] Fastboot boot openrecovery hung my phone. Any hope?

I was trying to update recovery and I typed the wrong commands in fastboot.

Instead of
Code:
fastboot flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.3-m7.img
I typed:
Code:
fastboot boot recovery openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.3-m7.img
When that failed because "recovery" didn't exist I still didn't notice my mistake, and went with:

Code:
fastboot boot openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.3-m7.img

creating boot image...
creating boot image - 10240 bytes
downloading 'boot.img'...
OKAY [  0.232s]
booting...
OKAY [  0.003s]
finished. total time: 0.240s
Since then my phone pretty much stopped working. The screen is on, but is hung - the power buttons and volume buttons do nothing. Here are some commands I tried

Code:
fastboot getvar all

getvar:all FAILED (command write failed (Unknown error))
finished. total time: 0.588s

-------------------------------
fastboot devices

HT35CW91****    fastboot

-----------------

fastboot reboot-bootloader

rebooting into bootloader...
Even the reboot just hung there with no change in the device. Is it a paperweight now or is there a way back? Obviously I can't remove the battery and I've not unplugged the USB cable just in case
 
nkk71
Old
#2  
nkk71's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2,929
Posts: 5,901
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Beirut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teefee View Post
I was trying to update recovery and I typed the wrong commands in fastboot.

Instead of
Code:
fastboot flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.3-m7.img
I typed:
Code:
fastboot boot recovery openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.3-m7.img
When that failed because "recovery" didn't exist I still didn't notice my mistake, and went with:

Code:
fastboot boot openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.3-m7.img

creating boot image...
creating boot image - 10240 bytes
downloading 'boot.img'...
OKAY [  0.232s]
booting...
OKAY [  0.003s]
finished. total time: 0.240s
Since then my phone pretty much stopped working. The screen is on, but is hung - the power buttons and volume buttons do nothing. Here are some commands I tried

Code:
fastboot getvar all

getvar:all FAILED (command write failed (Unknown error))
finished. total time: 0.588s

-------------------------------
fastboot devices

HT35CW91****    fastboot

-----------------

fastboot reboot-bootloader

rebooting into bootloader...
Even the reboot just hung there with no change in the device. Is it a paperweight now or is there a way back? Obviously I can't remove the battery and I've not unplugged the USB cable just in case
fastboot boot <name of recovery>.img no longer works; it only works on hboot 1.44

just reboot using POWER + VOLDOWN the flash recovery.
The Following User Says Thank You to nkk71 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Teefee
Old
#3  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 3
Join Date: Jan 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkk71 View Post
fastboot boot <name of recovery>.img no longer works; it only works on hboot 1.44

just reboot using POWER + VOLDOWN the flash recovery.
Thanks for the response. The phone doesn't respond to any button presses, so I can't VOLDOWN to Power Down. I have tried holding VOLDOWN + POWER like you said but the screen is still on and the phone hasn't done anything
 
nkk71
Old
#4  
nkk71's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2,929
Posts: 5,901
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Beirut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teefee View Post
Thanks for the response. The phone doesn't respond to any button presses, so I can't VOLDOWN to Power Down. I have tried holding VOLDOWN + POWER like you said but the screen is still on and the phone hasn't done anything
no i meant press and hold POWER + VOLDOWN buttons (preferably under a bright light), then when it reboots, let go of POWER, but keep holding VOLDOWN and you're back in bootloader.

also it's safe to unplug it. once you do, bootloader may actually respond to normal presses again.
The Following User Says Thank You to nkk71 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Teefee
Old
#5  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 3
Join Date: Jan 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkk71 View Post
no i meant press and hold POWER + VOLDOWN buttons (preferably under a bright light), then when it reboots, let go of POWER, but keep holding VOLDOWN and you're back in bootloader.

also it's safe to unplug it. once you do, bootloader may actually respond to normal presses again.
Thanks very much, you're a lifesaver! When I unplugged the device the screen still didn't respond but pressing & holding POWER+VOLDOWN for ~10 seconds rebooted the phone and I'm back in business.
 
nkk71
Old
#6  
nkk71's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2,929
Posts: 5,901
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Beirut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teefee View Post
Thanks for the response. The phone doesn't respond to any button presses, so I can't VOLDOWN to Power Down. I have tried holding VOLDOWN + POWER like you said but the screen is still on and the phone hasn't done anything
actually just tried, once unplugged bootloader still "hung", had to use the POWER + VOLDOWN as mentioned above to go to bootloader again
The Following User Says Thank You to nkk71 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes