[Q] hltetmo vs hltecan. Also question about bootloaders.

OP jtl999

19th January 2014, 05:00 AM   |  #11  
OP Member
Vancouver, BC
Thanks Meter: 6

85 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by radicalisto

CM is based on MJ/MK Bootloader. You could run Android 9.6 and it'd make no difference. It's all about the bootloader

Sorry. Can't understand exactly. What exactly means what versions you can run with a new bootloader?
19th January 2014, 05:24 AM   |  #12  
Flag York
Thanks Meter: 1,453

3,577 posts
Donate to Me
More
MJ7 is the bootloader that powers CM currently. You need a bootloader to be able to boot into the operating system. Like a key into the phone.

If you upgrade your bootloader to a newer version aka NA6 it locks the phone. Therefore anything that runs lower than NA6 aka MJ7 won't work.

Think of it like, you broke your door, you got a new door and tried to use the old key. It no long works.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
19th January 2014, 06:02 AM   |  #13  
OP Member
Vancouver, BC

85 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by radicalisto

MJ7 is the bootloader that powers CM currently. You need a bootloader to be able to boot into the operating system. Like a key into the phone.

If you upgrade your bootloader to a newer version aka NA6 it locks the phone. Therefore anything that runs lower than NA6 aka MJ7 won't work.

Think of it like, you broke your door, you got a new door and tried to use the old key. It no long works.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

I know how bootloaders work. Isn't there a way to omit bootloaders from Odin tar.md5 updates? Once I/Someone figures that out I'm golden staying with my old bootloader. Currently on MJ1.
19th January 2014, 07:50 AM   |  #14  
Thanks Meter: 3

358 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaythenut

you cant downgrade if you want cm you have to stay on 4.3 for now

hi, can you elaborate?

i always thought samsung doesn't let you downgrade to an older bootloader. but if you install CM (not samsung official updates) the bootloader doesn't get updated so you can downgrade in the future.

unless you upgrade to 4.4.2 official samsung ROM and update the bootloader, then you'll never be able to downgrade again?
19th January 2014, 06:20 PM   |  #15  

59 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtl999

Flash a tar.md5 through twrp? What version of the stock rom?

Did you have the new bootloader?

No, if you want to try out kitkat i recommend you to use a cyanogenmod based 4.4 like probam, it doesn't update your bootloader and you can just downgrade back to jellybean

Sent from the Android beast: Galaxy Note 3
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
bootloader, brick, kitkat, note 3
Previous Thread Next Thread