Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,880 Members 51,239 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Volume level and other possibilities with the Ativ S

Tip us?

Ammoniacal
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0

DONATE TO ME
Audio [Q] Volume level and other possibilities with the Ativ S

I'm the owner of a Windows Phone 8 for a couple of months now, the Samsung Ativ S (GT-I8750). I have the latest GDR3 update (8.0.10517.150) but there are still quite a few problems I'd like to get fixed. And I'd appreciate it if anyone could direct me to hacks (if available) that would fix some of these. I'd also like to know if there is anything to benefit from "rooting" (interop unlock?) the device, and if it's possible to install standalone apps from the microSD card.

1. The volume level on the phone is a very low in general, and I most often have to manually boost the audio on some tracks (especially audiobooks) before putting them on my phone. Any way to get the volume higher?

2. The search button automatically opens Bing, any way to change that?

3. The video/audio format support is horrible, and I can't seem to play most files. Possible to install support? Codecs?

4. Installing apps/games on the microSD card, possible?

bruce142
Old
(Last edited by bruce142; 19th January 2014 at 06:43 PM.)
Thanks Meter 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammoniacal View Post
I'm the owner of a Windows Phone 8 for a couple of months now, the Samsung Ativ S (GT-I8750). I have the latest GDR3 update (8.0.10517.150) but there are still quite a few problems I'd like to get fixed. And I'd appreciate it if anyone could direct me to hacks (if available) that would fix some of these. I'd also like to know if there is anything to benefit from "rooting" (interop unlock?) the device, and if it's possible to install standalone apps from the microSD card.

1. The volume level on the phone is a very low in general, and I most often have to manually boost the audio on some tracks (especially audiobooks) before putting them on my phone. Any way to get the volume higher?

2. The search button automatically opens Bing, any way to change that?

3. The video/audio format support is horrible, and I can't seem to play most files. Possible to install support? Codecs?

4. Installing apps/games on the microSD card, possible?
There are benefits for the interop-unlock of the Ativ S : Full File Access (see all the files of your phone through your PC, not just the public folders Music, Photos and Video, you'll be able to backup your apps and data : http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2462730), tweaks like custom accent colors (text of the color pink remains however but the color itself is changed), both these functions can be activated in the SamWP8 tool. Infinite number of sideloaded apps and a basic File Manager : Windows Folder Browser by ngame or WP8 File Explorer Project by hjc4869 or PDF to Office V3.1.3 for interop-unlocked Samsung devices by contable.

1. Yes, in the first versions of WPH Tweaker, you could set your volume control to 0-10, 0-30 or 0-50, the text in volume control pop-up (current volume/30) still remains the same but the steps do change, I think.

2. Not if you don't have your region set to any other country than Russia, in WPH Tweaker there is an option to add google search to IE, but in regions where Bing is incorporated this doesn't work (the only region that doesn't have Bing incorporated is Russia).

3. There are some players out there on Windows Phone Store which can play most video and audio formats, but they are all paid apps (if you wanted to have free codecs or free video players, you should have bought an android phone, because Microsoft is making it very difficult for open source view players (like VLC or XBMC, both available for android free of charge) to enter the market place of Windows 8/Windows Phone : for VLC they had to rewrite the entire app and it still isn't released yet). Some examples are : Moliplayer Pro (trail available, China has a free non-trail version Moliplayer but you can't install this without having a weibo account), Best Player and YxPlayer WP8.

4. No, you can place xaps on the root of your microSD card and let it install through the store on the phone itself, but you can't install any applications on the microSD Card partition (strangely you can place the maps of the default maps application on your SD card with WPH Tweaker).
The Following User Says Thank You to bruce142 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]