5,599,911 Members 45,944 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[APP] AOSP Browser 4.3 (root required)

Tip us?

shaftenberg
Old
(Last edited by shaftenberg; 6th December 2013 at 12:22 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 662
Default [APP] AOSP Browser 4.3 (root required)

Salut,

for all of you, who don't like Chrome, here is the original AOSP Browser 4.3 with the optional BookmarkSync if you like.
I modded the Browser, so that the search-bug is gone. All AOSPs had weird strings for "search on page", I added the english and german resource strings and ID.

Just move the Browser.apk to /system/app and set the permissions to rw-r--r--
If you like, you may also install ChromeBookmarksSyncAdapter.apk (same way as above), so that your bookmarks from your Google account are synced, but this is optional.

If you encounter a Force Close after starting, delete or rename BrowserProviderProxy.apk and BrowserProviderProxy.odex (if you don't have a deodexed ROM) and reboot, then it should work.

Enjoy!

PS: This is Adobe Flash "ready" - if you want Flash, you need to install Flash for sure, but the Browser is capable of using it
[edit]
I tried several Flash versions, all of them had issues, but the old one 11.1.115.11 works fine for me:
http://download.macromedia.com/pub/f...player_ics.apk
Attached Files
File Type: apk Browser.apk - [Click for QR Code] (3.13 MB, 241 views)
File Type: apk ChromeBookmarksSyncAdapter.apk - [Click for QR Code] (197.7 KB, 128 views)
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to shaftenberg For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

xxnoelziexx
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaftenberg View Post
Salut,

for all of you, who don't like Chrome, here is the original AOSP Browser 4.3 with the optional BookmarkSync if you like.
I modded the Browser, so that the search-bug is gone. All AOSPs had weird strings for "search on page", I added the english and german resource strings and ID.

Just move the Browser.apk to /system/app and set the permissions to rw-r--r--
If you like, you may also install ChromeBookmarksSyncAdapter.apk (same way as above), so that your bookmarks from your Google account are synced, but this is optional.

Enjoy!

PS: This is Adobe Flash "ready" - if you want Flash, you need to install Flash for sure, but the Browser is capable of using it
Thanks for this but having a problem. When trying to launch browser I get unfortunately, browser has stopped force close.
Moto G 8GB.

shaftenberg
Old
(Last edited by shaftenberg; 5th December 2013 at 10:56 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxnoelziexx View Post
Thanks for this but having a problem. When trying to launch browser I get unfortunately, browser has stopped force close.
Wow that's not happening on my phone.
Are the permissions set correctly? rw- r-- r-- (644)?

Have you installed the SyncAdapter too?
If not, do it and try again.

If then again an error occurs, try it with freezing BrowserProxyProvider.apk, this should help as some users report in another thread.

[edit]
One idea: try with deleting app and cache data in settings -> apps -> Browser and/or freeze Chrome.

xxnoelziexx
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaftenberg View Post
Wow that's not happening on my phone.
Are the permissions set correctly? rw- r-- r-- (644)?

Have you installed the SyncAdapter too?
If not, do it and try again.

If then again an error occurs, try it with freezing BrowserProxyProvider.apk, this should help as some users report in another thread.

[edit]
One idea: try with deleting app and cache data in settings -> apps -> Browser and/or freeze Chrome.
Fixed just done a search on here and found out that I needed to rename BrowserProviderProxy.apk just added a 1 on the extention so it looks like BrowserProviderProxy.apk1
reboot and all is working.

Enabled the browser sync under my google account and now see all my bookmarks.

Thanks for all your help sorted.
Moto G 8GB.

shaftenberg
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 662
Glad you got it.
Weird is, I didn't need to rename or delete anything, BrowserProxyProvider is just there... Will put this in the OP anyway, thanks for your feedback!

shaftenberg
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 662
I added the link to a working Flash version in OP, official from Macromedia.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shaftenberg For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ahac85
Old
Thanks Meter 94
Any chance for browser for 4.4 KitKat?

Sent from my XT1032
------------------------------------------------------------
SAMSUNG GALAXY S3
ROM: Stock Odexed MK6 | JellyBean 4.3
KERNEL: Boeffla Kernel 5.2 Stable
RECOVERY: PhilZ Touch CWM 6.12.8

Sign up for FREE 2GB Dropbox Cloud Storage and get an additional 500mb space! db.tt/4Mpm5Us

lost101
Old
Thanks Meter 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahac85 View Post
Any chance for browser for 4.4 KitKat?
Try flashing this in CWM: http://www26.zippyshare.com/v/84435358/file.html

Alternatively, there is AOSP Browser Installer and Android Browser on Google Play.

The Following User Says Thank You to lost101 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]