[Q] Fun things to do with a semi-bricked One

Tip us?

n1234d
Old
Thanks Meter 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by stldaniel View Post
try s-off then you might be able to unlock it
The thing is that it wouldn't work until he changes the IMEI, which is illegal. @alray, that stuff looks awesome!!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Always hit the "Thanks" Button

alray
Old
Thanks Meter 524
Quote:
Originally Posted by n1234d View Post
The thing is that it wouldn't work until he changes the IMEI, which is illegal. @alray, that stuff looks awesome!!

Correct me if i'm wrong, but I think it can be legal to change IMEI only if you don't steal one i.e using clean IMEI of one of your old phones?
If I helped you, please hit the ''tanks'' button
If you want me to reply, QUOTE me or mention me using @alray, otherwise don't expect any reply

Useful links for HTC One:
nkk71's SuperGUIDE to returning 100% back to stock
Return to stock for Canadian HTC One Users by SaHiLzZ (BELL, TELUS, ROGERS)
Flashing requirements chart by nkk71
HTC1Guru.com by crushalot

n1234d
Old
Thanks Meter 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by alray View Post
Correct me if i'm wrong, but I think it can be legal to change IMEI only if you don't steal one i.e using clean IMEI of one of your old phones?
If it was so easy, wouldn't everyone do that to get an expensive phone at a very subsidized cost? Anyways, look here
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c112:S.3186.IS:
It says that if the person/refurbidher knows that the phone is stolen, then it is illegal.. OP said that he got the phone from a shady place.. Not worth risking it right?

---------- Post added at 09:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:20 PM ----------

Quote:
If it was so easy, wouldn't everyone do that to get an expensive phone at a very subsidized cost? Anyways, look here
It says that if the person/refurbidher knows that the phone is stolen, then it is illegal.. OP said that he got the phone from a shady place.. Not worth risking it right?

Okay, link doesn't work..
See the pic

Always hit the "Thanks" Button
The Following User Says Thank You to n1234d For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

alray
Old
Thanks Meter 524
Quote:
Nice info tanks. Yeah it seams illegal unless section 515 d) apply which is probably not the case
If I helped you, please hit the ''tanks'' button
If you want me to reply, QUOTE me or mention me using @alray, otherwise don't expect any reply

Useful links for HTC One:
nkk71's SuperGUIDE to returning 100% back to stock
Return to stock for Canadian HTC One Users by SaHiLzZ (BELL, TELUS, ROGERS)
Flashing requirements chart by nkk71
HTC1Guru.com by crushalot

laberkis
Old
(Last edited by laberkis; 20th January 2014 at 07:10 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
OP said that he got the phone from a shady place.. Not worth risking it right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by alray View Post
Nice info tanks. Yeah it seams illegal unless section 515 d) apply which is probably not the case
I'm not really sure of the legitimacy of the store I bought the phone at. All I know is they sold me a blocked phone and wouldn't help me fix the problem, so that's just the conclusion I drew from that. Is this a widespread problem with these small independent mobile stores? I'm not from the USA, so I don't really know much about it..

I was checking out the possibilities for chenging the IMEI, but couldn't really find anything that says it is doable for a non-hacker. There was also the fact that it sort of a grey area legally. But it looks like that bill can be interpreted both ways...