Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,771,756 Members 41,879 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Any hope?

Tip us?

"Haus"
Old
(Last edited by "Haus"; 15th January 2014 at 03:58 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Default Any hope?

I could use some advice on any options I have for trying to salvage this Rezound. Here is what I know:

The Symptoms:
-Was completely stock and actively used phone
-Charging port began misbehaving. I believe it may be loose/damaged. It will only charge reliably on one particular USB cable (an Amazon Basics, but only one of my dozen or so of those)
-Started randomly rebooting
-Did a factory reset, seemed to help for a while, then it started rebooting again
-It started getting stuck in a bootloop. HTC screen up ~2s -> black ~0.2s -> HTC screen up ~28s -> black ~5s -> repeat. Does this for a variable amount of time, sometimes minutes, sometimes hours before it will actually boot all the way into the OS
-If it does boot, it usually does not last long before it reboots and will typically get stuck again

The Facts:
-I can into bootloader with no issues
-Because I can get into bootloader, I went ahead and unlocked and flashed TWRP 2.6.3.0
-I can get into TWRP and use all of it's functions reliably
-I decided to try wiping data and cache then system several times, flashing a custom ROM (Global_OTA_RED_DESENSED-v1.0) in TWRP and then flashed boot.img with fastboot, but the new ROM has the same issue. In fact I've yet to boot all the way into the ROM
-Does the same thing with the SD card and SIM card removed

My Guesses:
Based on the fact that it is rock solid in the bootloader and in recovery, I thought that it was possibly corruption on system or boot, which is why I tried to install a custom ROM. Now I'm leaning towards bad memory, either where system or boot reside, possibly data or even RAM, perhaps caused by electrical damage from the charge port issues. I just don't understand why I've not seen any sort of read/write errors while doing anything with fastboot or recovery.

At this point I don't know what to do beyond throwing it out. If anyone has any fresh ideas for salvaging this thing, I'd appreciate it.

If not, any ideas for replacing are also appreciated. A new phone isn't really in the budget at the moment, particularly because I desperately want to get away from Verizon (most likely will lose unlimited data if we I start swapping and don't really have $600-$700 to throw around at the moment. I have 4 lines to move and the Rezound line is on contract, so I'm sort of feeling the rock one side and a hard place on the other.

Thanks in advance, folks!

acejavelin
Old
Thanks Meter 432

DONATE TO ME
Because you are staying in ICS at the moment and not playing with JB/KK, try booting up Amon Ra recovery, it has an option to wipe/format the /boot partition (TWRP does not) so wipe that and everything else (except external SD) at lease twice... then, assuming you are on HBoot 2.28 and 0123/0124 radios, flash this and the boot image: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2260154 it is a completely stock build with full bloat, only root is added, and see if it comes up. This ROM is my go to ROM for issues when an RUU is not possible.
Current Personal Phone: Google Nexus 4 on Cricket/Aio (Beanstalk 4.4.4 with hells-Core Kernel)
Current Work Phone: LG G2 VS980 on VZW (Official Beanstalk)
Current Tablet: iPad 4 and Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2
Other phones "in the family": HTC DNA, HTC One (M7), Motorola Moto G GPE
Previous/Retired Android Devices: HTC Aria, HTC Incredible 2, HTC Rezound, Samsung Stratosphere, Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Nextbook 8P
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to acejavelin For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

"Haus"
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejavelin View Post
Because you are staying in ICS at the moment and not playing with JB/KK, try booting up Amon Ra recovery, it has an option to wipe/format the /boot partition (TWRP does not) so wipe that and everything else (except external SD) at lease twice... then, assuming you are on HBoot 2.28 and 0123/0124 radios, flash this and the boot image: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2260154 it is a completely stock build with full bloat, only root is added, and see if it comes up. This ROM is my go to ROM for issues when an RUU is not possible.
Thanks for the suggestion. I had let the phone sit turned off all afternoon to charge and tried this after work. I grabbed Amon Ra from http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=37362226, made sure to wipe boot in excess and installed the ROM you linked. It booted up on the first try unlike the last ROM, and I've been able to load some things on it and delete some bloat for a bit with no reboots. I've even powered off and went back into recovery to do a backup, and had a successful reboot afterwards. I don't know if it was wiping boot that did it, but I hope it holds. I'll keep you posted, and either way, thanks again.
The Following User Says Thank You to "Haus" For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

"Haus"
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Still going. Getting a random reboot here and there, but I've yet to have it get stuck while booting. Now I'm trying to decide if I want to take my chances and try to get S-off.
The Following User Says Thank You to "Haus" For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

acejavelin
Old
Thanks Meter 432

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Haus" View Post
Still going. Getting a random reboot here and there, but I've yet to have it get stuck while booting. Now I'm trying to decide if I want to take my chances and try to get S-off.
Are you still on the stock ROM from above? You will need to unlock with Linux if you are, otherwise you will need a custom ROM (actually, an unsecure kernel) to use rumrunner for Windows.
Current Personal Phone: Google Nexus 4 on Cricket/Aio (Beanstalk 4.4.4 with hells-Core Kernel)
Previous/Retired Android Devices: HTC Aria, HTC Incredible 2, HTC Rezound, Samsung Stratosphere, Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Nextbook 8P
The Following User Says Thank You to acejavelin For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

"Haus"
Old
(Last edited by "Haus"; 19th January 2014 at 09:34 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejavelin View Post
Are you still on the stock ROM from above? You will need to unlock with Linux if you are, otherwise you will need a custom ROM (actually, an unsecure kernel) to use rumrunner for Windows.
I'm still on the stock ROM. Unfortunately it quit booting again.

acejavelin
Old
Thanks Meter 432

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Haus" View Post
I'm still on the stock ROM. Unfortunately it quit booting again.
Hmm... Honestly looking like a hardware issue... Sorry bro

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

The Following User Says Thank You to acejavelin For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]