Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,660 Members 54,205 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Considering RT Tablet (Vivo TF600T vs Surface)

Tip us?

Duplexity
Old
(Last edited by Duplexity; 9th January 2014 at 06:28 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Default Considering RT Tablet (Vivo TF600T vs Surface)

Hey,

I'm planning to get a RT tablet and I have looked at relative comparisons of both of them.

Unfortunately there weren't many comparisons that I could find online so I decided to post here.

I also understand that the T100TA may be the better option.

So two questions (If you've owned both a reply would be greatly appreciated):

1. TF600T or Surface RT? TF600T seems to have a lot more features in my opinion and a much sturdier keyboard and build.
2. Is it even worth getting a RT? Or should I be looking straight ahead to 8.1 tablets now?

I'll be using this tablet mainly for school, but if I can run windows apps and what not that would be awesome too.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

Edit: I forgot to mention i'll most likely be buying locally but BNIB. I'm looking at ~260 for dock+tablet for vivo and ~320 for surface and keyboard.

Kenif1983
Old
Thanks Meter 10
It really depends what you want from the tablet/TF.

Windows RT isn't flourishing with apps right now so an actual full Windows Tab, Android or an iPad may be a better option.

That being said, I like my surface.
It's a really nice tablet that works well.
Office 2013 beats any other office app on any other device.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kenif1983 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

SixSixSevenSeven
Old
Thanks Meter 323
260 whats? US Dollars, british pounds, euros, human rights violations?

Honestly, I would just look towards the T100. Full windows 8.1 at that price cant be argued with.
The Following User Says Thank You to SixSixSevenSeven For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

docfreed
Old
Thanks Meter 140
Default Owned Both and...

Returned the ASUS T100. Good concept by ASUS but poor execution and very poor quality build. I exchanged it for a Surface 2 with touch keyboard.
There really are light years difference in the MS build quality over the ASUS and from personal experience with other ASUS devices their tech service/support sucks.
The screen on the Surface is 1080P versus 720P for ASUS and I was very concerned with the ASUS charging port - it's very flimsy and I was worried that over time it would break (I saw from a internal picture that it's just soldered to the motherboard like many other cheap tablets)- compare that to the very sturdy magnetic connector on the Surface.
Surface 2 with Office 2013 is most of what I need. Certainly there will be apps missing but if you really analyze what you need vs. what is "nice to have" RT isn't so crippled at all.
And by its very nature its mostly malware and virus free.
Also, I think that some of the experts in this forum will ultimately develop a way to sideload third-party apps just like they did for RT 8.0 - just a matter of time.
The Following User Says Thank You to docfreed For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Duplexity
Old
(Last edited by Duplexity; 9th January 2014 at 10:14 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixSixSevenSeven View Post
260 whats? US Dollars, british pounds, euros, human rights violations?

Honestly, I would just look towards the T100. Full windows 8.1 at that price cant be argued with.
Canadian Dollars, apologies for not mentioning that.

Personally I wouldn't have minded getting the surface if I didn't miss out on that $199 deal back in December. Big loss on my part lol.

I've opened up a TF300T before to replace my LCD and while not impossible, was quite difficult because I did not have a heat gun. I also remember the charging port being soldered onto the motherboard so I understand what you mean.

I might take my chances with the Vivo, there's someone whose willing to sell me one brand new with a new keyboard for $200 (CDN). Do you think at that price point I should get the vivo or should I still purchase for the surface? If I do get the surface, it will ultimately be Surface RT not 2...because it's nowhere to be found and I need one asap. The surface will likely be about $100 more not including the keyboard.

Like you i'm always concerned about build quality, I don't want it to break and have it feel like I wasted a big chunk of money on soon-to-be garbage. So, if you tell me that the Vivo Tab to you felt this way, I probably won't get it! I'll trust an XDA member's opinion over a youtube video any day haha.

Thanks again!

Insignificant
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I'd always prefer the Vivo Tab TF600T, it has a much better and brighter screen, has a real keyboard like a notebook and in generell feels really great. It's the perfect device on the go. Also i don't like the stand of the Surface so much. While it's great on a table, it's not so great in the train, on your lap etc. In terms of performance both devices aren't the fastes but for my expectations they are fast enough.

In terms of apps it really depends, but my experience with RT is much better than with Windows 8. All Windows RT devices get firmware updates (a.k.a. drivers) with windows update. With Windows 8 tablets, you have manually download & install them. Also some apps (like Uno Friends) don't work on certain Windows 8 devices like (Samsung Ativ Tab 5 / Thinkpad Tablet 2) but work great on the Vivo Tab RT / Surface. On the top of it you don't have to worry about viruses.